Alternative to silicon tubing?

daleg2008

what do you guys use to hold the hair in place on the hook? for a while now i have used a fine bore silicone tubing, but everytime i catch a carp it splits which means tying up a new rig or using a spare one. its becoming a bit annoying now. my mate said rig tubing but i find that a bit to bulky and slips too easily. any advice would be helpfull cheers.

I dont use tubing i tie a knot in the hair but tie it to the shank of the hook at the same time. This creates sort of a blowback rig and when i catch a fish the knot it pushed up against the knotless knot. All i do then is gently ease it lose with my baiting needle and then slide knot back down shank.

No thanks not interested in blowback style, must be a type of tubing. small bore but quite thick! i suppose a hookbead could work!?

I dont do it just for the blowback style i only really do it so it keeps the hair coming off the bend but without the extra weight of tubing.

Not being funny, but try some fresh stock of silicone tube, thats if you really need tube on your hooks?
i dont think you understand what tubing i mean. its 0.5mm thick and yes i do

Well if thats your attitude, get on with it, and good luck!

what do you guys use to hold the hair in place on the hook? for a while now i have used a fine bore silicone tubing, but everytime i catch a carp it splits which means tying up a new rig or using a spare one. its becoming a bit annoying now. my mate said rig tubing but i find that a bit to bulky and slips too easily. any advice would be helpfull cheers.

Why not use enough Shrink tubing to go down the shank to hold the hair in place. Perfect when you have the hair coming off opposite the point.

As for using Silicon tube, different silicon, different behaviour. If the stuff you gets splits, then use one that doesn't :wink:

And why does it entail tying a new rig if it does split? Thread the tiny piece of tubing onto baiting needle, pull hair through tubing, and then thread over point being careful NOT to catch fibres if you use a braid hair.

Simples! :wink:

No thanks not interested in blowback style, must be a type of tubing. small bore but quite thick! i suppose a hookbead could work!?

I dont do it just for the blowback style i only really do it so it keeps the hair coming off the bend but without the extra weight of tubing.

Its a good idea mate, but not for me. i like that extra weight on the hook and it stops the hair tangling, i dont mean just on the cast either. thanks anyway i might even encounter a time when i need to use it.

Guest fenboy

Never felt the need for tubing on the hook ,I just use a curved pattern and either tread a bag on the link or tie the hair to the hook with pva tape ,no tube means better seperation of the bait and hook which = better hook holds imo

I bought a pack of silicon but can't remember which one I had I think its this one.

ATOMIC Rockbottom Silicone Hook/Rig Sleeving

http://www.englandangling.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?prodCode=atoRS

10 x 50mm lengths per pack, 0.75mm bore

P.V.C. Tubing that when placed on hook will hold hair tight to the desired position. Will not move during casting, so allowing perfect presentation every time.

I used to use normal rig tubing which split all the time then a mate put me onto this stuff. It still splits but very rarely, there seems to be a lot more flexibility in this tube. Hope this helps :D

I bought a pack of silicon but can't remember which one I had I think its this one.

ATOMIC Rockbottom Silicone Hook/Rig Sleeving

http://www.englandangling.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?prodCode=atoRS

10 x 50mm lengths per pack, 0.75mm bore

P.V.C. Tubing that when placed on hook will hold hair tight to the desired position. Will not move during casting, so allowing perfect presentation every time.

I used to use normal rig tubing which split all the time then a mate put me onto this stuff. It still splits but very rarely, there seems to be a lot more flexibility in this tube. Hope this helps :D

Massive help nice one :D

Its the fine stuff from korda so cant be re-threaded. ill have a look to see what shrink tube i have. cheers Nick and everyone else.
I shall not put down the wicked thoughts I have about the brand then :P8)
lol i dont have a prefered brand i just buy what i need. i must admit their rig tubing is awful, esp anchor all the way.

• 6 months later...

Only a idea, as i used it on a few of my rig's but never caught anything over 20+ on them .. but worth a try.

artificial maggots?

Using a baiting needle from head to tail coming from the top of the rig (swivle end) thead this down on to the hook.

Depending on the size of the hook. the maggot should cover most of the braid, and you hair should start right from the bottom of the shank.