Quick change links and clips

joely

• 5 months later...

i use these nowadays,(dont know what theyre called) the korda quick clips can be too fiddly on some batches, (too short or too long)

and with the sleeve that comes with them it meant i didnt need to add a lenght of shrink tubing at the loop for anti tangle purpose on limp braid hook links

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

they look very much like the fox sleeves. Although the fox sleeves go down to even more of a point. There are a few companies out their that do that type of swivel though. I Prefer that type of swivel compared to the korda ones. I think the korda ones help the loop deteriorate a bit too fast.

i use these nowadays,(dont know what theyre called) the korda quick clips can be too fiddly on some batches, (too short or too long)

and with the sleeve that comes with them it meant i didnt need to add a lenght of shrink tubing at the loop for anti tangle purpose on limp braid hook links

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

Ooh that reminds me of a guy on the lake a couple of weeks ago with that clip. He had a fast take, the fish made the lilly pads, but he got it back. The fish then kited down the margins into another bed of weed. As he pulled it, just out of range to be netted the rod sprang back straight. The rubber on the link clip had slipped during the fight, and the hooklink as it got to the weedy margins CAME OFF the link clip.

A good fish too, and I was gutted for him as 1 more second I would have been able to net it :!:

I won't use Quick link clips of any sort as I know of this sort of incident happening where during the fight the rubber tube gets dislodged, and the quick links open up, or the hooklink loop slips down the "prong" and onto one side of the link, where it is then able to either then slide off the link, or on one side of the link only has opened out.

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

Ooh that reminds me of a guy on the lake a couple of weeks ago with that clip. He had a fast take, the fish made the lilly pads, but he got it back. The fish then kited down the margins into another bed of weed. As he pulled it, just out of range to be netted the rod sprang back straight. The rubber on the link clip had slipped during the fight, and the hooklink as it got to the weedy margins CAME OFF the link clip.

A good fish too, and I was gutted for him as 1 more second I would have been able to net it :!:

I won't use Quick link clips of any sort as I know of this sort of incident happening where during the fight the rubber tube gets dislodged, and the quick links open up, or the hooklink loop slips down the "prong" and onto one side of the link, where it is then able to either then slide off the link, or on one side of the link only has opened out.

you cant be 100% on that being what really happen, the knot could of come undone, cut through on the clip if it wasnt smooth, who knows.

what it does allow me to do with ease is to unclip the hook link while the fish is in the net and leave the rod and rig and carry it to the matt with out line every where or rod tips in trees in tight swims

Guys ive just brought some today, the gardner ones, never used them before but after what ive been reading im not sure if i will ever use them now.

The only reason I can see to use a quick link clip is when you use a Stick mix, other wise they create more trouble than they are worth.

Even Danny Fairbrass has said that the best way to get instant indication is to get the swivel or ring as close to or inside the end of the lead to create maximum effect. By using a quick link you are adding an additional pivot point and allowing more movement for the carp to get around.

If you must use a quick link, then the better ones are actually designed for Sea Fishing (Sea Match anglers), and are called Spin Links. Even then they need a tight piece of rubber over them. The only other ones that I think are any good are the spiral coil quick links.

Guys ive just brought some today, the gardner ones, never used them before but after what ive been reading im not sure if i will ever use them now.

Even Danny Fairbrass has said that the best way to get instant indication is to get the swivel or ring as close to or inside the end of the lead to create maximum effect. By using a quick link you are adding an additional pivot point and allowing more movement for the carp to get around.

may be on a lead clip or inline but that isnt going to make any differance on a run rig on slack line

may be on a lead clip or inline but that isnt going to make any differance on a run rig on slack line

Very true, but most anglers still don't use and get the benefits of the Running leads :wink:

Mind you I still think that a quick change link looks "messy" sticking out the end of the bead.

nick

iv been thinking some more about what happen, and the clips.

what hook link was it :?::?:

cause a think the maybe a small chance that a stiff link may be able to lift out,(only if the sleeve slipped down), i cant get my head round this happening on a combi if the last inch or so is soft, and same if its mono or limp braid and not to sure on coated braid, depending on the stiffness. but is still needs something to push the other end or hold it still while the link pushes back

and it would need the number one rule to be broken for playing a fish and thats to not keep the line tight , but as you said about the snags , then if its given slack it could maybe of caused this bizarre incident

the jury is still out :D

nick

iv been thinking some more about what happen, and the clips.

what hook link was it :?::?:

cause a think the maybe a small chance that a stiff link may be able to lift out,(only if the sleeve slipped down), i cant get my head round this happening on a combi if the last inch or so is soft, and same if its mono or limp braid and not to sure on coated braid, depending on the stiffness. but is still needs something to push the other end or hold it still while the link pushes back

and it would need the number one rule to be broken for playing a fish and thats to not keep the line tight , but as you said about the snags , then if its given slack it could maybe of caused this bizarre incident

the jury is still out :D

I'd be even more worried about those clips with mono. I don't like loop knots with a fairly fine mono, even my trusted Kryston knot.

I think that the sleeve slipped at some point in the weed, instead of "jamming it up" it pulled it down.

It was a coated braid that went, and the only time the line was slack was on the original pulling out the first pads. From then on the line was taught as the fish kited. I know exactly how close I was to getting that fish in as I climbed down the bank to make the attempt for Steve, he had got it under control on a tight line and had walked along the bank. I even saw it turn, and I still won't tell him what I think it was I saw it that closely :shock:

Its not the first time I've seen it happen, but the most costly loss I've seen.

I had the same happen to me with prototypes years ago at Taverham, long before Korda released them, the rubber slipped down, and the clip didn't hold the hooklink, actually attached to a swivel. The rubber sleeve that should have held tight onto the quick link forced down over the swivel in the weed. The quicklink then allowed the swivel to come off.

I would say that there use is a complete risk in weedy waters, but after another incident I think that they could be a total liability. It was my mate Wayne who lost a biggie at the net with a quick link clip and the hooklink forcing its way onto the single branch of the twin section, and that was in a fairly weed free water, fairly silty, but a few snags.

• 1 year later...

evening gents . hope you dont mind me whizzing this thread back up to the top .

i`ve been looking through the search facility and this one , although it concerns heli rigs/chods , it does seem the appropriate one on which to ask the question so here goes.......

when attaching the hooklink to the leader or leadcore etc , it usually involves a large ringed swivel . in order to quickly change hooklinks , how would a quick link swivel affects the dynamics of the rig , choddies in particular ?

what do everybody else use/ recommend ?

evening gents . hope you dont mind me whizzing this thread back up to the top .

i`ve been looking through the search facility and this one , although it concerns heli rigs/chods , it does seem the appropriate one on which to ask the question so here goes.......

when attaching the hooklink to the leader or leadcore etc , it usually involves a large ringed swivel . in order to quickly change hooklinks , how would a quick link swivel affects the dynamics of the rig , choddies in particular ?

what do everybody else use/ recommend ?

I'm not advocating leadcore, but think about a large spliced loop at the lead end of a braided leader :wink:

Works with heli set-ups to hold a lead, through a (sea fishing) spinlink clip and lead onto that, or with the braided leader to hold a rig swivel :wink:

If you make up your PVA mesh/stick with rig attached then hook in at the base next to the knot, push swivel through the top end of the mesh as you knot it, although you may end up with glob of dissolved PVA on hooklink :wink:

Or have a rig longer than your tube, hook in first (bait can be attached before or after if you pull the hair outside the mesh with a (Gardner) baiting needle) and the swivel outside the top end, but push the PVA filling down alongside the rig and you would knot the top end anyway.

Does that help any?

thanks for the quick reply nick but actually i dont think i explained myself very well .

the helicopter set up with leader and lead isnt my problem its the actual hooklink itself and how to attach it to the leader/leadcore .

all the pictures and diagrams i`ve ever come across of SILT rigs :lol: have the hooklink moving along said leader (between the beads obviously) attached by a swivel with a LARGE ring , obviously to allow the hooklink to move freely .

my problem is when i want to replace the hooklink , say after catching , to save undoing the whole set-up and start from scratch i`ve been using one of those quick link type swivels to quickly change hooklinks .

now , will the rig still work as it should or do you think i should be using something else cos i`ve been using `em to quickly change my bottom bait hooklinks for years ? will using a quick change swivel affect the mechanics of the rig in any way ?

is there a recommended easy-to-change swivel that other people use ?

thanks for the quick reply nick but actually i dont think i explained myself very well .

the helicopter set up with leader and lead isnt my problem its the actual hooklink itself and how to attach it to the leader/leadcore .

all the pictures and diagrams i`ve ever come across of SILT rigs :lol: have the hooklink moving along said leader (between the beads obviously) attached by a swivel with a LARGE ring , obviously to allow the hooklink to move freely .

my problem is when i want to replace the hooklink , say after catching , to save undoing the whole set-up and start from scratch i`ve been using one of those quick link type swivels to quickly change hooklinks .

now , will the rig still work as it should or do you think i should be using something else cos i`ve been using `em to quickly change my bottom bait hooklinks for years ? will using a quick change swivel affect the mechanics of the rig in any way ?

is there a recommended easy-to-change swivel that other people use ?

Cross purposes maybe, but think about the Spinlink or other clip lead attachment at the end of the leadcore or leader splice. :wink:

Spliced loop into leadlink of whatever sort, now go up a little bit.

Remove Lead attachment, and bottom bead/rubber will now slide down over the self spliced loop, and above that you have your rig, which will now also slide down over the loop. Slide on fresh rig, bead/rubber, attach lead link of whatever type back into the splice via loop to loop method and there you have a fairly quick change rig set up.

Does that now make sense?

A good splice will never give way (I can in fact make spliced hooklinks in some braided hooklinks with no knots :wink:8) )

I wouldn't say I use one every time, but most of the time for sure. A major difference in my rig than what is described here is that I use either a rig ring or a small swivel on the end of my hooklink. This eliminates wear on the hooklink loop from the link. Once the whole thing (quicklink, swivel/ring) is covered in a length of silicon tubing this is a pretty much bombproof solution. The only drawback is that sometimes I need to remove the swivel to thread on a PVA mesh, but it is very easy even with cold hands to loop a swivel onto the link.

On the same lines - using a quicklink makes it a very simple matter to tie several identical links and prepare a new PVA bag/link in advance so all you need to do is reel in, swap links and cast out, and no wear to the hooklink

• 2 weeks later...