alternative to lead core

chris27

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you dont have to use a leadcore leader,x line and floats stop,balance the the chod pop up though as you havent got the weight of the leadcore to sink it :wink: .

uncle jim

KIR

Jim I am very confused:?

YOU are the one who has been saying you need to use leadcore, others on here have said its not necessary.

If you are referring to the so called chod rig, then again you are the one who says you need lead-core etc., I am the one who says no need, simply use line straight through and balance the popup by adding weight to the swivel on the hooklink.

Please explain as you are now starting to do my head in.

Frank

frank, i think that is his idea mate (to do your head in) and everyone else as well, just wind up as many people as pos :roll:

I have come to the same conclusion and have decided to give him this last opportunity to answer with a sensible response, before I start to ignore his jabber.

Are we sure this is Jim?

After all with his glory seeking you would think he would be proud to display his rig etc.

Frank

frank, i think that is his idea mate (to do your head in) and everyone else as well, just wind up as many people as pos :roll:

I have come to the same conclusion and have decided to give him this last opportunity to answer with a sensible response, before I start to ignore his jabber.

Are we sure this is Jim?

After all with his glory seeking you would think he would be proud to display his rig etc.

Frank

very good point frank, i think you have hit the nail on the head there

Like the majority, I agree that light running leads fished on a slack line provides superior bite indication and good hooking capability.

However, unless I'm fishing at short range and can use leads of less than 2oz, I prefer to use a lead clip plus a short length of tubing so I can drop the lead when a fish is hooked.

Quite a while ago when I used running rigs exclusively, I experienced a number of lost fish due to hook pulls (over quite an extended period) when using leads heavier than 2oz for casting purposes. This didn't happen with lighter leads. After trying a number of adjustments (such as hook pattern, hook size, hooklink length etc.) without any noticeable improvement I formed the opinion that the lead remaining on the line might be the cause as it may be weakening the hook-hold or perhaps creating an angle for the fish to use as a lever. Since switching to a lead clip I hardly ever lose a fish.

Any comments?

Good point there Alan, I have often wondered myself whether some of my hook pulls have been due to "lead bounce", I am aware that some of my fish have been only slightly hooked, but I am sure not all of them :? And I have noticed more occasions when I have been using a heavy running lead, co-incidence, not in my opinion. But interested to hear other's thought's and experiences on this ?

I had this happen a few times last year- but only when using the korda longshank X hooks and leads of 4 ounce really :?

When i started using 2ounce leads i only lost one fish to a hookpull, once i stopped using the lonkshank X (dont know why i had them in the first place) i didnt loose any (went back onto the SSC arma points)

BTW- The lead setup was a running inline (starting as a bolt rig with the lead coming off the bead on the take as the carp tries to eject the hook- well that was my theory) :)

Weird, as I nearly always use 3oz Running leads with no problems :?

Is it the possibility of Short Hooklinks (3-6inches) accentuating the bounce as the majority of mine are above that?

Or is that just supposition?

I suppose the Hooklink material may also have some bearing on the possibility of hookpulls, again I don't normally use the same as the majority.

Whatever, I don't know the reason, but I don't lose many fish to hookpulls.

I can't remember ever using longshank hooks. Until recently I used Korda wide-gapes or ESP Raptors for most of my fishing. I rarely use barbless either.

I nearly always use hooklengths over 6" so I don't think it was that, but I hadn't considered the possibility of the hooklength material (coated braid most of the time).

Rods? Yep, I could see that as a possibility but I've been using the same rods (Century NGs) for ages.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess this will remain another of life's unsolved mysteries!

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that a lot of people have only started using curved shank hooks since Korda brought some out :?

I remember seeing a korda dvd before their latest range of hooks came out where Mr F said something about not needing any other patterns of hooks than the wide gape and the longshank, that could be why :?:twisted::lol::lol::lol: