Mono Hooklinks

natty

On a couple of the waters I am fishing mono is the only hooklink allowed.

I am currently just using the same line as I have got on my reel for the hooklengths (12lb Fox Soft Steel Mono).

It has worked ok so far, but I am wondering if there are any better monos to use for my hooklengths (12lb would be ideal).

Any suggestions would be great. :D

You could use flurocarbon which could help hide the hook length a little better...just make sure you use the corresct knots :wink:

Just out of curiosity why have they put a ban on braid hooklengths? I can undestand why they might put a ban on the mainline.]

maybe its something I am missing

You could use flurocarbon which could help hide the hook length a little better...just make sure you use the corresct knots :wink:

Just out of curiosity why have they put a ban on braid hooklengths? I can undestand why they might put a ban on the mainline.]

maybe its something I am missing

some waters round here totally ban it ,which includes hooklinks

Cheers for the info.

Was aware of the issues around using braid as a mainline, but never really thought of the issues around using it as hook length having never had a problem myself.

Mind you I never fish too close to snags and tend to play my fish as lightly as I sensibly can, so wether this helps in the less likelyhood of damage?

Will certainly now take it on board when using braids as hook length. Nothing worse than fish damage.

Thats fishing.......a constant learning curve :)

cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...

Is Fluorocarbon acceptable? Or does it have to be Mono?

I got some Ultima Power Plus in 12lb and Berkeley XL in for Mono hooklinks, and for floater fishing.

In the Fluorocarbon I got some of the Carp-r-Us Clearwater in 12lb.

I know that a fair number of the anglers who use Mono for hooklinks do use the same line as their Mainline :wink:

Is Fluorocarbon acceptable? Or does it have to be Mono?

I got some Ultima Power Plus in 12lb and Berkeley XL in for Mono hooklinks, and for floater fishing.

In the Fluorocarbon I got some of the Carp-r-Us Clearwater in 12lb.

I know that a fair number of the anglers who use Mono for hooklinks do use the same line as their Mainline :wink:

I had loads of fish on mono hooklinks at the start of season,then the runs started slowing down,switched to flurocarbon esp ghost since then ive had 4 fish

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Cheers for the info.

Was aware of the issues around using braid as a mainline, but never really thought of the issues around using it as hook length having never had a problem myself.

Mind you I never fish too close to snags and tend to play my fish as lightly as I sensibly can, so wether this helps in the less likelyhood of damage?

Will certainly now take it on board when using braids as hook length. Nothing worse than fish damage.

cheers guys

By playing fish lightly, I imagine that the fight last longer? IMHO this increases mouth damage and the chance of a braided hook length slicing their mouth. I have seen braid slice a carps mouth quite badly, the slice was right in the scissors, the braid in question was Drennan micro braid. This is one of the reasons I stepped away from braided hook lengths and onto Magic touch mono, although this doesn't suit every situation.

Cheers for the info.

cheers guys

By playing fish lightly, I imagine that the fight last longer? IMHO this increases mouth damage and the chance of a braided hook length slicing their mouth. I have seen braid slice a carps mouth quite badly, the slice was right in the scissors, the braid in question was Drennan micro braid. This is one of the reasons I stepped away from braided hook lengths and onto Magic touch mono, although this doesn't suit every situation.

Drennan Micro Braid is one of the worst for slicing as it is so thin in diameter, and very "rough" and abrasive to the touch. Now you know why I do my Garage tests so I won't use tackle that may damage fish. There was also another hooklink braid that I found dangerous to use as well from the Nash stable. Anyone who uses a Mainline Braid as a hooklink without checking what it can do deserves to have it wrapped tight around their anatomy and then played like a Carp :twisted::shock::twisted:

Cheers for the info.

cheers guys

Drennan Micro Braid is one of the worst for slicing as it is so thin in diameter, and very "rough" and abrasive to the touch. Now you know why I do my Garage tests so I won't use tackle that may damage fish. There was also another hooklink braid that I found dangerous to use as well from the Nash stable. Anyone who uses a Mainline Braid as a hooklink without checking what it can do deserves to have it wrapped tight around their anatomy and then played like a Carp :twisted::shock::twisted:

So "Goodwill to all Men" never quite entered your mindset, Nick?

I'm joking, as I'm sure you know :)

I'm a fan of flourocarbon myself, Amnesia in particular. However, some of the coated braids that are meant for use as hooklinks are as safe as we could hope. I have a spool, in black, can't remember the brand and I'm certainly not going out to the garage at this time of night to find out, which I use to make silt rigs and it's benign.

Feel free to wrap me up in it and play me like a carp, but could we wait for warmer weather, please?

Ian

Cheers for the info.

cheers guys

So "Goodwill to all Men" never quite entered your mindset, Nick?

I'm joking, as I'm sure you know :)

I'm a fan of flourocarbon myself, Amnesia in particular. However, some of the coated braids that are meant for use as hooklinks are as safe as we could hope. I have a spool, in black, can't remember the brand and I'm certainly not going out to the garage at this time of night to find out, which I use to make silt rigs and it's benign.

Feel free to wrap me up in it and play me like a carp, but could we wait for warmer weather, please?

Ian

Sorry Ian,

I'm trying not to laugh too much :shock::lol: .

Some of those Braids are very "sharp" and cut quite easily, like you I prefer the Coated Braids or Merlin/Silkworm. I find the very thin ones quite worrying for use as Hooklinks.

I think the Coating may stop it hurting too much, and yes wait for warmer weather, :lol::lol::lol:

Goodwill to all men? :shock::?

Me?

Never :twisted::lol::lol:

Hi,

Informative information.

Just to mention when I said about playing the fish in I meant I didnt yank the fish in on far to heavy gear (probably didnt word it to well first time, sorry) and I would never make a fight last longer than necessary.

I also never have or would use mainline braid as a hook length, I have only ever used hook length braids and coated braids by well known manufacturers .........although the above has now definetly made me think twice about using even these :?:?

It is really good to see information like this available to us all as I am sure there are many people out there who are fishing completely unaware of the damge they could potentialy cause..........my only worry is are these the kind of people who would go to the trouble of doing a bit of research before trying different rigs, materials and so on :(

Keep up the good work fellas as I am sure a lot of people benifit and if that saves one fish from being damaged then it is all worthwhile.

Braid for mainline is a different animal to hooklenth braid, and as so should NEVER be used for hooklenths! As it works like a serated knife!

Years back we used Dacron with no damage caused, then when silkworm first came out, I found it superb! Used it in 25lbs BS as it was"flat" rather than round(which will cut) in smaller diameters!

Having said this I have reverted back to "bolt rigs" 80's style running lead with a float stop up the line set up and flouro hooklinks(semi stiff) for 99% of my fishing, and is awsome!

Two beeps, then a single toner!

In 25 year of Carp angling I can say I have never "ripped up" a Carp! Maybe Due to useing ballenced Tackle and the correct tools for the job in hand, ie: Not useing 3.5lbs TC in the margins but a 1.25lbs TC, you can still land big Carp on these and apply the same presure if need be, and also enjoy a real fight from a Carp :wink: