Leadcore or rig tube

warbo

I've been using ESP Leadcore, never had a problem with the Lead pushing through the outer braid.

When it comes to tubing vs Leadcore, I have been fishing Leadcore on 2 rods and Tubing on 1.

I have swapped rods around onto the same areas so that each rod has a fair chance.

On 1 Leadcore rod I have 60cms of Leadcore, on the other I have 120cms of Leadcore. The tubing rod is Korda Khaki tubing of 60cms. The 2 Leadcore rods I have had more takes than on the tubing rods, that includes Bream takes as well. On 1 water I have caught 1 Carp and 1 Bream on the tubing. On the Leadcore rigs, my takes have been roughly equal, and I have had 4 Carp and 12 Bream.

Not conclusive I know, but I think that tubing does not lie as comfortably and flat across an uneven lake bed like Leadcore. Also there is the possibility of Reflection.

thats intresting as on my local i started the season on leadcore and bagged loads but after landing a carp with a lifted scale i switched back to tubing and havent matched the catch rate :confused:

but not sure if spawning had anything to do with it :confused:

I must admit I have not noticed any damage on Carp that I have landed from Leadcore, although 1 common did have a couple of marks on it, and 2 missing scales. The damage wasn't fresh, and it had a previous hook mark in the mouth.

I can't give a definitive answer on fish damage with Leadcore. I wonder is it down to playing them hard and then the sudden change of direction, in which case line with no tubing on could cause as much damage.

• 2 weeks later...
but I think that tubing does not lie as comfortably and flat across an uneven lake bed like Leadcore.

Have you ever seen leadcore on even a "flat" bottom? None of them are heavy enough to lie flat. The bottom on a flat area is never flat, on gravel its even worst. However i do use leadcore just because the bars where i fish are real nasty and i need at least 6 foot of leadcore to stop me getting cut off.

Best tubing is thick solid plastic, put a load of wire around the top end to make sure it sinks and jobs a good un.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

have to agree with chris on this ive tried them all and you really cant get any of them to lie flat. the esp anchor rig tubing is heavier than leadcore and i find that as effective if not better than leadcore. the new tfg and berkely leaders are a no no for me as ive had both part on me when playing big fish, b4 you ask they were tied using loop to loop to spread the load on the leader but ive had the loop cut through the leader twice. i now use the new tfg clear tubing its a pain to tread (use a pole threader) but it is very hard to see on the lake bed and with a couple of pieces of either wire as chris said or a couple of blobs of heavy metal on it, it lays quite flat and i only have to worry about the 1 knot ive tied to my hooklink swivel.

I have checked my Leadcore Leaders on my Reservoir and got them to lie flat along the bottom of the Lake. That's checking on a 40 yard cast to the edge of the bay opposite. You really need to allow very slack lines to get this, although a downward slope does help hide it anyway.

As for tubing I recently took the trouble to check my Solar Tubing in the Margins, with a piece of Leadwire on the end you could not distinguish it from the bottom and the Weed as it was lying so flat.

• 1 month later...

Another 2 Carp from my Reservoir this week, still with Tubing on 1 rod and Leadcore on the other 2. Even the Bream I had came on the Leadcore Rod, not a Bleep from the rod with Tubing on it

Both Carp came to the rods with Leadcore on and all 3 were on and around the Baited Area.

Both Takes came on the same night and both were on very Slack Lines again. Even the Tubing rod was fished with a Slack Line, and I checked the Camoflage effect in the Margins. The Tubing was weighted and hidden in the weed, so it must be down to feel I reckon.

Leadcore must have a different feel compared to Tubing.

gone back to leadcore a few weeks ago as i lost interest after they stopped making the old fox leadcore.

and i changed to esp leadcore and aint had no problems yet, im using 2 flying backleads and a blob of critical mass putty over the splice which connects mainline to leadcore, seems to me that this is the best leadcore nowdays as ive used the so called HEAVIER leadcores and all i get is the lead finding its way through the braided core, but so far so good with the esp stuff, not the heaviest stuff available but i find it the best for my use right now in time.

anyone know anything about the non lead core ( or whatever its called ) by sufix?

• 2 weeks later...

Up until today I would have said no they can't distinguish between twigs, weed and Tubing.

Took 2 rods to a Water where I normally expect to catch a couple of fish in a day. Fished 1 on Leadcore and 1 with Weighted Tubing. Both cast inches apart with slack lines and running Leads to the Far Bank Snags.

I had 2 runs, both on Leadcore. No takes on Tubing. Bait and Rigs identical otherwise. The fish must have come out over the End Tackle on both rods as I put some bait around the area to get them to move about.

Also the water is fairly coloured so I don't think that they can see the End Tackle.

I really do try to hide my Tubing, it is the same colour as the Lakebed, I weight it down so it doesn't lift up and I fish Running Leads. The Leadcore takes on the colour of the bottom of the Lake and it does sink into the silt.

This has really got me thinking to try to hide it better, there must be something about Tubing that makes it stand out.