HOW TO PREVENT MOUTH DAMAGE

KINDFISHER

2 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Elmo .

The jprecision hook is one I can look at as I'm only allowed to use barbless hooks - crimping / filing not allowed .

😃

Oh! That's why you have weird hook holds.

I'd never fish a venue with barbless rule. Say no more

10 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Elmo .

The jprecision hook is one I can look at as I'm only allowed to use barbless hooks - crimping / filing not allowed .

😃

It's sounds like you are fishing in dictatorship not a fishery. 

If you are using barbless you won't need to file down the barb to remove the old hook from the kicker because the barb isn't getting in the way of the kicker sliding off. 

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Lots to look at!

10feet 3lb TC rods?

That in itself could be part of the problem, even though you say you don't play fish hard. If the rods are tip actioned, then you can be putting a lot of hard pressure on the fishes mouth at short range in the fight. A through action rod could be a better option, or a lighter test curve. A 10feet rod can be very stiff!

The same test curve on a 12feet rod could be nicer!

Your hooklink braid, what is it?

I've used various Kryston braids for over 30years, Merlin, Supernova, Silkworm in 15 or 25lb, no mouth damage. Sadly when Kryston was sold their braids became hard to get hold of, so my stocks are now running low. If you use a mainline braid, that can be a totally different material and could cause damage.

Extremely short hooklinks, my minimum is 15centimetres, 6inches. A short hooklink with a lead bouncing around very close to the hook...

Extremely sharp, hand sharpened hooks, on soft mouthed silt feeding fish, no need, just an ordinary hook out of the packet, my choice of hooks are Gardner Muggas and Solar 101's in size 4 and 6, only dropping smaller for floater fishing or to comply with lake tiles. 

Hmm, I will have a look at purchasing longer, through action rods in a lighter test curve, but this will probably be my last port of call due to cost £££

The hooklink braid is 20lb KORDA DARK MATTER SUPER-HEAVY BRAIDED HOOKLINK, I have now purchased the same braid in 30lb, some 20lb ESP TUNGSTEN LOADED SOFT and some SEMI STIFF 20lb KORDA N-TRAP ... so we shall see if this makes a difference

I have made a load of new rigs in longer lengths and am going to make them gradually shorter to see if the length is making a difference.

I have made the rigs with 2 different hooks attached, the KORDA wide gape and the sharpened KORDA KAMAKURAs in sizes 6 and 8, to see if this makes a difference.

I have also bought some lighter leads 3oz, 2.5oz and 2 oz, to see if this makes a difference.

I am also going to drop the lead, to see if this makes a difference.

Lots to be going on with, but at least it will keep me busy :)

9 hours ago, KINDFISHER said:

Hmm, I will have a look at purchasing longer, through action rods in a lighter test curve, but this will probably be my last port of call due to cost £££

The hooklink braid is 20lb KORDA DARK MATTER SUPER-HEAVY BRAIDED HOOKLINK, I have now purchased the same braid in 30lb, some 20lb ESP TUNGSTEN LOADED SOFT and some SEMI STIFF 20lb KORDA N-TRAP ... so we shall see if this makes a difference

I have made a load of new rigs in longer lengths and am going to make them gradually shorter to see if the length is making a difference.

I have made the rigs with 2 different hooks attached, the KORDA wide gape and the sharpened KORDA KAMAKURAs in sizes 6 and 8, to see if this makes a difference.

I have also bought some lighter leads 3oz, 2.5oz and 2 oz, to see if this makes a difference.

Lots to be going on with, but at least it will keep me busy :)

I personally think you need to change one thing at a time first off. it may need a slightly alternate arrangement before you go wholesale at it. how will you know what component was wrong ??

Lots to be going on with, but at least it will keep me busy

15 minutes ago, framey said:

I personally think you need to change one thing at a time first off. it may need a slightly alternate arrangement before you go wholesale at it. how will you know what component was wrong ??

As @framey says, change one thing at a time.

It does, it's called littering, fly tipping, pollution...

Strictly speaking it is illegal!

Personal thought, I do not like leadclips, nor dropping leads, I still use running leads or inline leads and the only leadclips I own are those I have found and retrieved, attached to other people's break-offs, most still had lead attached. I've found 2, 2.5oz, 4 and 5oz leads, but strangely none of the sizes I prefer, 3 or 3.5oz.

In weedy waters, an inline distance lead will frequently not catch up on the weed, whereas even an empty leadclip does.

12 hours ago, elmoputney said:

It's sounds like you are fishing in dictatorship not a fishery. 

If you are using barbless you won't need to file down the barb to remove the old hook from the kicker because the barb isn't getting in the way of the kicker sliding off. 

20 hours ago, commonly said:

Oh! That's why you have weird hook holds.

I'd never fish a venue with barbless rule. Say no more

I don't mind using barbless hooks as I  used to stress when I struggled to unhook a fish , but now the hook falls out in the net a lot of the time .

I agree that not having a barb on the hook means the hook  can move around in the Carp's mouth causing tears especially if I need to apply pressure to keep the Carp away from snags .

However , I love the lake I fish , especially as there are more match anglers than Carp anglers so there's not so much competition ; sometimes just me against the Carp .

😃 

1 hour ago, framey said:

Yep, that's exactly what I'm going to do ... I'm going to change one component, make a note of what I use and see if it makes a difference.  Then if it has made the difference then bingo, but if not I'll make another change and so on, and so on

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Personal thought, I do not like leadclips, nor dropping leads, I still use running leads or inline leads and the only leadclips I own are those I have found and retrieved, attached to other people's break-offs, most still had lead attached. I've found 2, 2.5oz, 4 and 5oz leads, but strangely none of the sizes I prefer, 3 or 3.5oz.

In weedy waters, an inline distance lead will frequently not catch up on the weed, whereas even an empty leadclip does.

Personally, I've never used a lead clip or dropped a lead either, but it has been suggested as a solution to the problem.  I didn't know that it was illegal, and I'm now wondering why the myriad of companies that sell them, are allowed to continue to make money out of them if it's illegal ???

56 minutes ago, crusian said:

I don't mind using barbless hooks as I  used to stress when I struggled to unhook a fish , but now the hook falls out in the net a lot of the time .

I agree that not having a barb on the hook means the hook  can move around in the Carp's mouth causing tears especially if I need to apply pressure to keep the Carp away from snags .

However , I love the lake I fish , especially as there are more match anglers than Carp anglers so there's not so much competition ; sometimes just me against the Carp .

😃

10 hours ago, KINDFISHER said:

Personally, I've never used a lead clip or dropped a lead either, but it has been suggested as a solution to the problem.  I didn't know that it was illegal, and I'm now wondering why the myriad of companies that sell them, are allowed to continue to make money out of them if it's illegal ???

Littering is an antisocial habit, you can be fined for it, ergo illegal.

Throwing rubbish on the ground is an eyesore, pollution etc, pick your description, but because dropping the lead is not so 'obvious' or seen in the water it became mainstream advice from various tackle brands. 

Leadclip's were originally designed for creating a semi-fixed set-up, with the advantage of being able to take your lead off at the end of the session, or change the lead size mid session.

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Wow not at all contrary, imagine if you were more outraged at water companies that dump Actual sewage in our waterways. 

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Wow not at all contrary, imagine if you were more outraged at water companies that dump Actual sewage in our waterways. 

Believe me I am disgusted and have signed gawd knows how many petitions, barracked my MP, who is a virtue signaller,  against his vote to continue to allow sewage to be pumped into waterways, (then made a newspaper article to clean up the local river, ignoring why its in such a state).

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Believe me I am disgusted and have signed gawd knows how many petitions, barracked my MP, who is a virtue signaller,  against his vote to continue to allow sewage to be pumped into waterways, (then made a newspaper article to clean up the local river, ignoring why its in such a state).

If only the nation hadn't lost its mind and allowed Borismania to sweep through with a long trail of destruction, I hope you will be voting green next time as they are the only ones serious about stopping it. 

6 hours ago, elmoputney said:

If only the nation hadn't lost its mind and allowed Borismania to sweep through with a long trail of destruction, I hope you will be voting green next time as they are the only ones serious about stopping it. 

To heck with voting green 

you will lose angling then 

Edited by salokcinnodrog
To remove a naughtiness

4 hours ago, framey said:

To heck with voting green

you will lose angling then 

Not at all I've already spoken to them about it, while they don't fundamentally agree with it, they don't mention it directly in their policies and you know if we keep letting the tories and labour dump turds all over the shop we won't have any fishing anyway, apart from poop fishing. 

https://greenparty.org.uk/political-programme.html

6 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I won't be voting Green, they have no idea on actual environmental issues, and are against angling and other outdoor pursuits.

Nor will I be voting Lib Dem, Labour or Conservative. Sadly the political system is not suitable for purpose.

Until we can get rid of political parties we are screwed. We almost need a benign dictatorship, or a King Alfred the Great circle of elders representing everyone.

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I won't be voting Green, they have no idea on actual environmental issues, and are against angling and other outdoor pursuits.

Nor will I be voting Lib Dem, Labour or Conservative. Sadly the political system is not suitable for purpose.

Until we can get rid of political parties we are screwed. We almost need a benign dictatorship, or a King Alfred the Great circle of elders representing everyone.

You must be thinking about voting Reform party then lol.