The shockleader to mainline split

elmoputney

1 hour ago, framey said:

I usually use a mahin knot if there is a lot of difference between the thickness of the lines or a back to back grinner if similar or tapered leader.

an albrite knot works well apparently but I only use that on a combi rig lol

i think blobbing will just catch in the rings more surely??

Brilliant thanks it would appear the mahin leader knot is exactly what I needed, that doesn't seem like it will budge at all, I really want to use this leader but obvs it needs to be safe. It's one I will keep practising as its a bit fiddly lol 

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

People can get so touchy when it comes to carp fishing 🤣

@elmoputney are you using a tapered leader?

It's the avid camo snag leader 

16933999067281922637720210418494.thumb.jpg.fc366d75d72225d27e096a59a55c11f4.jpg

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Brilliant thanks it would appear the mahin leader knot is exactly what I needed, that doesn't seem like it will budge at all, I really want to use this leader but obvs it needs to be safe. It's one I will keep practising as its a bit fiddly lol 

It's the avid camo snag leader 

16933999067281922637720210418494.thumb.jpg.fc366d75d72225d27e096a59a55c11f4.jpg

When done properly it gives a lovely carrot shaped knot

16 minutes ago, framey said:

When done properly it gives a lovely carrot shaped knot

Yes needs a bit of practice still 😂 

I tend to practice a few each day until I am happy with it, I ws doing 10 turns down and 5 back up I noticed since some people do 7 down and 5 back so will try that next time, I think it's bulbous though because of the leader material. 

8 hours ago, Highy said:

It would have to be something from the Local Go Outdoors / Fishing Republic for my Shockleader....Fox, Korda, Korum something I know will be in stock.

What knot will be best for tying Spod Braid (Korda Bsix 30lb) to a Shock leader. 

This will work:

https://www.fishingrepublic.co.uk/15911138/westlake-shock-leader-50lb-15911138

8 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Nick what knot would you use on a mono snag leader to Mainline I've been using the uni knot (10 turn) and it seems strong when I pull it tight but I did have one go on me last week 

Would blobbing the leader be the difference? 

6 hours ago, framey said:

I usually use a mahin knot if there is a lot of difference between the thickness of the lines or a back to back grinner if similar or tapered leader.

an albrite knot works well apparently but I only use that on a combi rig lol

i think blobbing will just catch in the rings more surely??

I tie an overhand knot in the leader, but don't pull it tight, then thread the line through the overhand along the tag end. I then tie a 5 turn uni knot up the leader with the mainline braid (or mono). Now I pull the overhand tight, along with the uni knot, then lighter blob the ends.

I've not had the blob catch up or snag any rings or the line, and ots a long time since I cracked off with a Spomb or spod. Same leader for over 3 years now and I do check the knots and line visually.

Years ago when sea fishing, the blob was all that held the uni knot in place, no overhand knot, and that was recommended for years in Sea Angler!

35 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

This will work:

I tie an overhand knot in the leader, but don't pull it tight, then thread the line through the overhand along the tag end. I then tie a 5 turn uni knot up the leader with the mainline braid (or mono). Now I pull the overhand tight, along with the uni knot, then lighter blob the ends.

I've not had the blob catch up or snag any rings or the line, and ots a long time since I cracked off with a Spomb or spod. Same leader for over 3 years now and I do check the knots and line visually.

Years ago when sea fishing, the blob was all that held the uni knot in place, no overhand knot, and that was recommended for years in Sea Angler!

Thanks nick I think I've come to the conclusion it's the leader material not my knots lol, I think thick mono to mono isn't going to work with these two, I've tried a uni knot with the kinetic shock leader that isn't going anywhere and looks perfect , I've tried a mahin knot from braid to the snag leader looks good, I just think the leader isn't the right tool for the task. Unless I switched to braided Mainline but that's banned sadly. Back to the drawing board 

7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Thanks nick I think I've come to the conclusion it's the leader material not my knots lol, I think thick mono to mono isn't going to work with these two, I've tried a uni knot with the kinetic shock leader that isn't going anywhere and looks perfect , I've tried a mahin knot from braid to the snag leader looks good, I just think the leader isn't the right tool for the task. Unless I switched to braided Mainline but that's banned sadly. Back to the drawing board 

Can't get better pics than them, sorry

20230830_195157.jpg

20230830_195141.jpg

Try it with a different leader material just in case 

try mono doesn’t matter what BS

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

This will work:

Will have a look at this too, ended up with Korda Armkord and tying 5 turn back 2 back grinner.

16 minutes ago, Highy said:

Very similar

Screenshot_20230831_075013_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9d8c2a826de02c79d6deb91042a77be0.jpg

I must've watched a video that called an allbright a Uni knot or something cos I've been tying an allbright knot not a uni knot. I'm gonna give it one last try today with a back to back grinner I watched a fox vid last night and Harry Charrington said the b2b grinner works with mono to mono 

I'm getting in a right old knot fluster lol, allbright will work well for you Highy with a shock leader 

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

I must've watched a video that called an allbright a Uni knot or something cos I've been tying an allbright knot not a uni knot. I'm gonna give it one last try today with a back to back grinner I watched a fox vid last night and Harry Charrington said the b2b grinner works with mono to mono 

I'm getting in a right old knot fluster lol, allbright will work well for you Highy with a shock leader 

Did the Back 2 Back grinner yesterday n it took me 3 attempts 🤣🤣, only properly ever used the palmar knot...

BUT I think my spod braid is fraying in the clip. 🙄🙄

1 minute ago, Highy said:

Did the Back 2 Back grinner yesterday n it took me 3 attempts 🤣🤣, only properly ever used the palmar knot...

BUT I think my spod braid is fraying in the clip. 🙄🙄

What spod braid are you using? 

Allbright is quite easy once you've done a couple, I'm quite enjoying learning new knots tbh even if I don't use them all its good to practice 

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

Allbright is quite easy once you've done a couple, I'm quite enjoying learning new knots tbh even if I don't use them all its good to practice 

Korda Basix 30lb to Korda Arma Kord 50lb with a B2B 5 Turn Grinner.

19 minutes ago, Highy said:

Korda Basix 30lb to Korda Arma Kord 50lb with a B2B 5 Turn Grinner.

Not good if its fraying, Ive been a little disappointed with durakord that frays easily, not good if its going to fray just make sure you are checking it regularly. 

The Ngt stuff seems quite good I think it's teflon coated so it's just like a tory MP, you can throw all kinds of muck at it but nothing sticks 😲

I have been using AngryFish 0.37mm 50lb 4X braid myself for pike fishing and spod/marker rod.

It does start as a brighter green, but fades as per the pics. It doesn't fray like the spod braids I have used, the Fox one was awful.

I did have problems tying the Albright knot, I wasn't comfortable with it and had a few break under pull tight pressure

Not good if its fraying, Ive been a little disappointed with durakord that frays easily, not good if its going to fray just make sure you are checking it regularly. 

The Ngt stuff seems quite good I think it's teflon coated so it's just like a tory MP, you can throw all kinds of muck at it but nothing sticks 😲

It's the actual Briad on my reel, under the clip we're it's fraud, the Leader only put on yesterday. 

Just now, elmoputney said:

It might be worth trimming a bit off and also checking your line clip isn't damaging the line 

Think I might give it a Whip out on Sunday, possibly end up buying new braid (Again).

BUT, if I do I can only get to my local Fishing Republic and it would have to be something like Korda Braid, Fox Braid, Sonik Braid.....unless you guys know a decent online Braid not costing the earth.

Just now, Highy said:

Think I might give it a Whip out on Sunday, possibly end up buying new braid (Again).

BUT, if I do I can only get to my local Fishing Republic and it would have to be something like Korda Braid, Fox Braid, Sonik Braid.....unless you guys know a decent online Braid not costing the earth.

NGT 17 ish quid on ebay fox braid sucks Gardner kinetic spod braid was also good