Making pop-ups

Frayer1

I just make pop ups using my usual boilie basemix, slightly upping the flavour, use the whites of the egg only, and added egg white powder (from the baking isle in Tesco) and wrap it around 10mm cork balls, they produce baits of 12mm or so. By only using the egg white and added egg white powder produces a harder skin to them, I make them as one egg mixes, which will produce a small number of baits, once airdried in the airing cupboard for a few days, will last in an air tight tub for a fair while. I use bait floss to attach them, they don’t pierce with a needle, (well they will, but a piece of cork may break off and punch a large hole in the bait, plus breaking the skin on the bait allows water ingress which will break the bait down.) I drop each bait in a glass of water as I make them to check their buoyancy. 

3 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

When you say poly balls, I'm assuming that's as in polystyrene? Probably frowned upon nowadays and I'd stick to cork. Cork dust is probably better as you don't the hard centre compared to using a ball.

No worse than plastic or cork baits 🤪

Edited by framey

That is true and I do use plastic corn! I have this imaginary Greta Thunburg sat on my shoulder and she tuts every time I do something questionable! I cycle to work most days (weather permitting) and so I offset any carbon I use to go fishing against that. Anglers are the original conservationist and I do try to think about the impact that what we do has on the environment, hence why I think that polystyrene in fishing is highly questionable.

• 4 weeks later...

Wrap paste around a cork ball. Get cork balls 2-3mm (can't remember which I used to do) smaller than you want the finished popups. Soak the cork balls in egg prior to making the popups. Add 5% Egg Albumen to your base mix (substitute for your binding component e.g. semolina or soya) to toughen them up. Air dry for at least 2 weeks. Store them in tubs and coat them in whatever oil/stuff you want periodically. I've still got a pot of homemade cork ball popups that I made at least 6 years ago dowsed in salmon oil which are still perfectly useable. I had another pot which finally went mouldy after about 5 years without use.

If you actually want to care about your environmental impact then keep using cork balls and stop going on holiday in an aeroplane.

Edited by Jone5y