Taking the Dog

hammer77

18 minutes ago, hammer77 said:

I have a 9 month old Border Collie. I want him to my fishing buddy but I am thinking of leaving it another year before taking him.

At what age did you first take your dog with you ?

7 month old mine was on his 1st outing...

IMG_20200612_163408.thumb.jpg.d6ea2df875113b4b1ea06906e9caf37b.jpg

Mine come practically every session day or night. 

Screenshot_20210512_081810_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.b8fcfa4d532c21912d85ed6953b8d4e7.jpg

Screenshot_20210512_081820_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Mine was about 8 months old I think - I don't like going without him, but it takes about 95% of venues off your list of possibles.  Nearly all of the waters I have inquired about do not allow dogs!  I had 2 A4 sheets of venues to check out and only a very small number allowed dogs - it's an eye opener!

You might find it better not to go down that route?

I’ve got a 12 month collie, she didn’t take to fishing too well, she didn’t like being hemmed in a swim (they were “dugout” type swims at the bottom of a steep bank with a footpath running along the top) and got quite anxious - she’s a nervous dog anyway, she didn’t like other dogs walking along the path and staring down at her, I called the wife to come pick her up so she didn’t feel too stressed. She’s far better on the beach. 

9 hours ago, hammer77 said:

I have a 9 month old Border Collie. I want him to my fishing buddy but I am thinking of leaving it another year before taking him.

Think I was 14 when I first took my dog fishing... 😂😉

My Shetland Sheepdog back than was very well behaved, she would just sit next to me, off the lead by the river. 

Sheltie's are very easy and well trained, heck they are sheepdogs, so can sit for ages. 

My Golden Retriever I had around 2003 was 2 years old, and loved water, but could be a pain if not on the lead. He did jump in a few times himself and pushed me in, although by 2010 he had calmed down but still needed a close eye on as he could wander off, even with his companion the Jack Russell/Highland Terrier cross about. Barnby would just go walk himself, while Douglas's the cross would stay close. 

Sky, my Siberian Husky was around 9months, but even now she is always on a long lead, she would run and run, and take her time coming back if at all... 

IMG_20210506_185006.jpg

On 12/05/2021 at 09:01, hammer77 said:

Take him now. Collies are fast learners. Mine started at 6 months. The first time I had I had a good fish on he thought the carp was attacking me and went in after it. Now he sits and stares at my rod tips all day long. I swear he knows I have a bite before I do because his ears prick up and his body tenses. If I am away from the rod he will bark. Who needs an expensive alarm?

A treat after each fish is returned maintains his interest. 😀

Edited by carpepecheur

THanks Guys, I think I will take him this season. I tend to fish overnighters say 6pm - 7am so he hopefully he will sleep most of it.

He's not a barker which is good and is not fussed about water. We have a a family camping trip coming up soon so if he is okay with that I'll take him with me.

worst bit about taking a dog on every session for over ten years is when they pop their clogs, mine went Tuesday afternoon, such a good dog no drama or trips to the vet which i don't do out of personal choice, spent the weekend trying to pull every dangling cable and what its connected to down, was a a bit worn out on the monday was having to hand feed him and syringe water, he went to get up for a wonder around and just came to a stop.  bit gutted to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Carpbell_ll said:

worst bit about taking a dog on every session for over ten years is when they pop their clogs, mine went Tuesday afternoon, such a good dog no drama or trips to the vet which i don't do out of personal choice, spent the weekend trying to pull every dangling cable and what its connected to down, was a a bit worn out on the monday was having to hand feed him and syringe water, he went to get up for a wonder around and just came to a stop.  bit gutted to be honest. 

Sorry to hear pal... Mine will be with me tomorrow night, he's officially adult age today...