Mainline choices

Hello 

I've just recently bought 3 new reels and it's been a long time since I've bought mainline.

They fit about 330 yards of 15lb on as a guide but I'm looking for recommendations.

They each already have a spool of 25lb braid so I'm looking for mono ideas. I'm thinking 18lb as there is a venue I want to fish that has catfish in it with a 18lb minimum rule but I'm also unsure I want to base my kit on fishing just one venue when there are many others I fish which are 15lb recommended.

Thanks Paul

Edited by pablo7uk
Missing info

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Any of Gardner lines mate. Gardner Pro as an all-rounder, Hydro-Tuff as as a bullet proof snag line, or GT-HD for casting.

Just found the GTHD on Angling Direct for £20 at 18lb. Should be enough to fill all 3 spools with 830m too or near enough anyway at 0.39 diameter. Thanks for the recommendation.

I think the fox stuff and korda stuff I was looking at had carp tax added as they were going to be £50+

Edited by pablo7uk
Missing info

45 minutes ago, yonny said:

Just bear in mind that's the one for casting buddy. It's pre-stretched so has lower abrasion resistance than the other two. If you're not going for distance the other two might be better options (imo).

Looks like the GTHD is the only one available above 15lb? It says high abrasion resistance in the description?

I've also found Fox eos which seems cheap for a mainstream brand. Also fox soft steel which I actually think it what I had on my previous reels for years - didn't realise they still made it.

6 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Haha it's not like wire though is it? 

I've only used 15lb and I've never managed to break it yet, it's a decent line tbh, tough, reliable, sinks well, doesn't stretch loads and will last a long time, I change mine yearly, occasionally strip a couple of rod lengths off, but unless you really need to cast to the moon its perfect 

On 22/04/2021 at 11:41, pablo7uk said:

Hello 

I've just recently bought 3 new reels and it's been a long time since I've bought mainline.

They fit about 330 yards of 15lb on as a guide but I'm looking for recommendations.

They each already have a spool of 25lb braid so I'm looking for mono ideas. I'm thinking 18lb as there is a venue I want to fish that has catfish in it with a 18lb minimum rule but I'm also unsure I want to base my kit on fishing just one venue when there are many others I fish which are 15lb recommended.

Thanks Paul

From memory almost every spool to line ratio on the reel is usually well out, needing far more line than the amount printed. It may be because a breaking strain has so many different diameters. 

A 15lb line can be anything from 0.34 even 0.32, to 0.40mm, depending on brand! 

A properly rated 15lb line will be 0.34/ 0.35mm, anything above that will be 18 or even 20lb. (0.38/0.40mm)

Personally I have not found more expensive lines to massively outperform cheaper budget brown Daiwa Sensor or Gardner Pro, (one exception sadly no longer around, original Shimano Catana). 

Gardner Pro is my first choice line now. 

Well I have it a go on Saturday and it does seem quite good and is nice and flexible for tying knots easily. 

If I'm fishing a bit of a distance out would I need a leader or will it be strong enough? I've never really fished at distance but a regular on the lake I was fishing said there was a good gravel spot at 23 wraps. I felt apprehensive trying to cast that far. I only managed 22 wraps with the market float set up.

Great thank you, I'll give it a try next time I'm on that venue. I was really wanting to give the spot a try on that day as I'd had nothing all day.

Once I can get the lead 23 wraps next job will be the spomb 😭 I have 30lb braid with a leader on a Grey's distance spod rod with a daiwa emblem spod reel so just gotta go for it!!