Beginner bait tips: new lake

Hello there

Swedish noob here; a friend introduced me to coarse fishing a year back, and got me soundly hooked. I wasn't intending to start carping; there's nearly 100 miles to my nearest day ticket water, but now the local club has introduced carp into a small lake some 20 minutes drive from my house, and it looks like I'm going to take a tumble down the rabbit hole.

The lake is about 500x200 meters, with an island in the middle (fried egg style). Steep sides, the currently accessible side is about 4-6 m deep, the other down to 9. 

It's a natural lake, with perch aplenty, rudd, roach, and some pike. Only other recent additions are crayfish.

Currently no idea about stocking levels; the guys running the club are not much into tech, communication, or acknowledging the existance of younger generations, so haven't had much luck with replies. Small town, small club, so it's safe to assume it isn't filled to the brim, and no monsters.

So; what should I bait with for decent chances of hooking into something? 

I've seen maize and some pellets left over from feeding, so that ought to work. I'm an absolute muggle when it comes to carp fishing, so I guess I'll start with feeder rods with maize/sweetcorn and lobworms for now. 

Given the abundance of nuisance fish though, I think it won't be overly long before I want to roll boilies. Sure, I could buy a few bags, but where's the fun in that?

What range of boilies do you go with to cover the seasons? Nutty, fishy, fruity, milky? I'm assuming one needs 2-3 base mixes and a range of flavours and additives for tweaking it? It would be extra fun if I could use some of it for tench and chub as well.

Expect further questions.

Cheers!

I would just go and see what I can catch in fun sessions to start with using 2 or 3 rods depending on what the rules of the lake are 

each with a different bait 

worm casters maggots maize pellet hemp etc 

groundbait using all the above at least then you have all bases covered

on the boilie front

1 quality bait in the correct area will outfish 3 or 4 rubbish baits in the correct area after a while.

you need to have a balanced bait that ticks the fishy boxes 

doesn’t matter if it’s

fishmeal nut vegetable insect or milk 

2 hours ago, framey said:

I would just go and see what I can catch in fun sessions to start with using 2 or 3 rods depending on what the rules of the lake are 

each with a different bait 

worm casters maggots maize pellet hemp etc 

groundbait using all the above at least then you have all bases covered

on the boilie front

1 quality bait in the correct area will outfish 3 or 4 rubbish baits in the correct area after a while.

you need to have a balanced bait that ticks the fishy boxes 

doesn’t matter if it’s

fishmeal nut vegetable insect or milk 

Right, that can be done; I have three 3,25 lb deadbait sets with alarms. 

I read somewhere that fishy/meaty baits were better for the warmer months, and fruity/nutty ones for the colder, mainly due to oil/protein vs fish digestive systems in regard to temperature. 

But yeah, mastering one blend sounds easier than mastering several, I guess. 

I have some bags of fishmeals and krillmeal that I use for my Pimp Shrimps, so I can start experimenting with those. Any particular diy base mix I ought to be ogling closely for starters?

To be honest, boilie wise I stick with one bait all the way through the year. 

Ages ago on here I wrote up a list of bait ingredients on 

Now I don't know what the current EU regulations are regarding importing bait ingredients or base mixes into Sweden, but I can say honestly that CCMoore, Sticky baits and others all produce good base mixes. German or even Danish bait companies might work out better. 

To start with I would be fishing sweetcorn, chickpeas or other particle baits, then as you find out and bait more introduce boilies

39 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

To be honest, boilie wise I stick with one bait all the way through the year. 

Ages ago on here I wrote up a list of bait ingredients on 

Now I don't know what the current EU regulations are regarding importing bait ingredients or base mixes into Sweden, but I can say honestly that CCMoore, Sticky baits and others all produce good base mixes. German or even Danish bait companies might work out better. 

To start with I would be fishing sweetcorn, chickpeas or other particle baits, then as you find out and bait more introduce boilies

Imports from the UK is problematic at the moment.

Luckily, we do have some decent retailers locally for most of the stuff. Nothern Baits, Swedish Bait Mechanics (though they're crippled by brexit), Tandem Baits, Marcel van der Eynde and Colmic are usually available, as are NGT and some others.

Right, I'll have some night-time reading on the recipes, then start feeding the odd blob of krill dough as the day goes on. I'll pester the wife about urgent needs to go fishing soon.

40 minutes ago, framey said:

Don’t bait when anyone is fishing lol

Sounds reasonable. Now that they added carp and tench, I might even see someone else there. 20+ visits over the last two years, and I have yet to meet anyone. Not exactly the same pressure as UK commercial fisheries over here.

Bankside etiquette aside, I was more thinking along the lines of "never make krill-and-plum boilies; the fish will laugh at you" or similar.

22 hours ago, Grodslok said:

never make krill-and-plum boilies; the fish will laugh at you" or similar.

Some of the best baits are based on the fruity/fish combo mate, aminos and peach, big fish mix and plum, tangerine and squid... your best bet is to find a reputable high quality nutritional bait, stick with it and build your confidence in it, the more you use it, the more the fish find it and eat it, the better it becomes. 

19 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

Some of the best baits are based on the fruity/fish combo mate, aminos and peach, big fish mix and plum, tangerine and squid... your best bet is to find a reputable high quality nutritional bait, stick with it and build your confidence in it, the more you use it, the more the fish find it and eat it, the better it becomes. 

I'll get a bag or two from the more prominent shop then. Start a mild feeding campaign, use crumb as groundbait etc. 

11 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Cant beat Stilton cheese paste for chub! 

Could one make it work as a boilie? I mainly go with Pimp Shrimps (plain shrimp with purple halibut glug, and a crust of AmphetaBream groundbait (krill and bloodmeal, good stuff), but I want something to combat crays and nuisance fish. Some of those little [censored]s are proper surgeons when it comes to steal the shrimp off the hook.

On 09/04/2021 at 13:59, Grodslok said:

Hello there

Swedish noob here; a friend introduced me to coarse fishing a year back, and got me soundly hooked. I wasn't intending to start carping; there's nearly 100 miles to my nearest day ticket water, but now the local club has introduced carp into a small lake some 20 minutes drive from my house, and it looks like I'm going to take a tumble down the rabbit hole.

The lake is about 500x200 meters, with an island in the middle (fried egg style). Steep sides, the currently accessible side is about 4-6 m deep, the other down to 9. 

It's a natural lake, with perch aplenty, rudd, roach, and some pike. Only other recent additions are crayfish.

Currently no idea about stocking levels; the guys running the club are not much into tech, communication, or acknowledging the existance of younger generations, so haven't had much luck with replies. Small town, small club, so it's safe to assume it isn't filled to the brim, and no monsters.

So; what should I bait with for decent chances of hooking into something? 

I've seen maize and some pellets left over from feeding, so that ought to work. I'm an absolute muggle when it comes to carp fishing, so I guess I'll start with feeder rods with maize/sweetcorn and lobworms for now. 

Given the abundance of nuisance fish though, I think it won't be overly long before I want to roll boilies. Sure, I could buy a few bags, but where's the fun in that?

What range of boilies do you go with to cover the seasons? Nutty, fishy, fruity, milky? I'm assuming one needs 2-3 base mixes and a range of flavours and additives for tweaking it? It would be extra fun if I could use some of it for tench and chub as well.

Expect further questions.

Cheers!

If there’s crayfish start with tigernuts

5 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

If there’s crayfish start with tigernuts

Oh, they don't shred those?

Good to know. Money aside, would I be best off buying prepared nuts, or a bag of dried ones and cook'em myself?

The dried ones are only available in 20 kg bags. Feels a bit overkill as I haven't even started carp fishing yet. I do have the fish fever though...

I would probably start with prepared nuts if you’re new to them mate, saves the faff and associated issues with preparation as poorly prepared or uncooked nuts can be dangerous for carp. With prepared nuts you know they are safe and ready for use. You don’t need to feed loads of tigers and they are usually recognised as a food source pretty quickly. 

11 hours ago, Grodslok said:

Oh, they don't shred those?

Good to know. Money aside, would I be best off buying prepared nuts, or a bag of dried ones and cook'em myself?

The dried ones are only available in 20 kg bags. Feels a bit overkill as I haven't even started carp fishing yet. I do have the fish fever though...

You can buy 1kg bags of tigers from baf mucka prepare them properly a little goes a long way

23 hours ago, elmoputney said:

https://www.feedstim.com/

Not sure if you have heard of these, but I got some additives from them pre brexit, might still be of use to EU(you) 🙄

Ooh, that's neat! I have a friend in Zwolle, he can make a visit there before he comes here next time. If they ever lift the travel ban, that is...