Commons and mirrors

Carpmaster

1 minute ago, B B said:

It’s valid in my part of the world the lakes I fish have more Commons in them... you could say the Mirrors are as rare as Rocking Horse 💩 lol 

😂😂😂got you lol where I am there’s loads of mirror and common it’s the leather and linear that are like hens teeth

9 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

I’ve only caught 1 in over 20 yrs but I have genuinely found that the last 4 days there seem to be a hell of a lot of common caught and some big girls too I was just wondering if it maybe had something to do with the equinox moon etc 

In theory, commons might be 'warmer' than mirrors with their complete scaling and moving about more. @levigsp might be the person to ask about that!

I know on my lake, only 1 common has been caught since the start of March, every other fish on the bank has been a mirror. 

If you get into the equinox, certain fish seem to come out at specific times of the year or moon phases. 

On 05/04/2021 at 08:14, Carpmaster said:

I’ve only caught 1 in over 20 yrs but I have genuinely found that the last 4 days there seem to be a hell of a lot of common caught and some big girls too I was just wondering if it maybe had something to do with the equinox moon etc 

The equinox is just a single moment of the year so can have no effect at all. The seasons which follow from that event have a huge effect on fishing so could conceivably have some bearing on what type of carp you catch.

IMHO whether the moon has an effect or not simply depends on how cloudy it is. Or, to put it another way, how much light is being cast on the lake during the night.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2021 at 20:36, Carpmaster said:

I’ve been looking through catch reports from around the world and there seems to be a whole lot more common rather than mirror carp coming out. Do you think this is to do with the equinox moon???  Any theories guys

be interesting to hear your thoughts 

Pretty standard here for us to catch nothing but commons at certain times of the year, cant remember whether its pre or post spawning but on waters I've fished nobody caught anything but commons for weeks,all mid sized fish, not the whackers - probably all males..

8 hours ago, hutch said:

Just out of interest mate what were you looking for from the answers to your question.  e.g. Commons coming out on

certain moon phases ?

Sort of mucka it’s more for my own observation as there’s a particular common I’m targeting but it doesn’t seem to matter on this particular water lol it seems to have its own weather system as well as hard fishing lol

It may be just my personal experience, but in the colder weather, I seem to catch more commons than mirrors. 

I read that commons, due to a genetic difference have higher levels of haemoglobin in their blood which means they have the highest blood oxygen levels compared to other strains, leathers especially. As oxygen is essential to digestion, this may allow them to feed and digest more effectively in colder water, yet cold water has the highest levels of dissolved oxygen content, which would suggest that oxygen is readily available, so it may make no difference at all!! Could it be that certain carp can feed in colder water? Or does the venue and number of anglers on it have an affect? I.E. more bait and leads going in keeping the carp on the move, thus using more energy which needs replacing more? 

8 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

It may be just my personal experience, but in the colder weather, I seem to catch more commons than mirrors. 

I read that commons, due to a genetic difference have higher levels of haemoglobin in their blood which means they have the highest blood oxygen levels compared to other strains, leathers especially. As oxygen is essential to digestion, this may allow them to feed and digest more effectively in colder water, yet cold water has the highest levels of dissolved oxygen content, which would suggest that oxygen is readily available, so it may make no difference at all!! Could it be that certain carp can feed in colder water? Or does the venue and number of anglers on it have an affect? I.E. more bait and leads going in keeping the carp on the move, thus using more energy which needs replacing more? 

Food for thought ouch

• 2 weeks later...

This article states that solunar phases really only have any effect on sea fish due to the sun and moon affecting tides but barometric pressure, wind, rain (oxygen levels) water temperature have more effect. Whether it affects one species of carp differently to others seems doubtful (maybe)
http://www.carp-fishing-tactics.com/science-weather-effects-carp.html

21 hours ago, TritonMike said:

This article states that solunar phases really only have any effect on sea fish due to the sun and moon affecting tides but barometric pressure, wind, rain (oxygen levels) water temperature have more effect. Whether it affects one species of carp differently to others seems doubtful (maybe)
http://www.carp-fishing-tactics.com/science-weather-effects-carp.html

Thank you triton some good information there