Advice needed of a medical nature

Sparky1964

as I stated previously, I’ve not fished since Oct 2000 and I’m just getting back into it. I was wondering if anyone on here suffered from arthritis? I have it in my lower spine and it effects my walking and standing ability and I’m wary of getting back out on the bank as standing to cast for long periods would be painful as would actually getting to my peg, the other thing that concerns me is bending down to unhook fish and place back in the water, does anyone else have similar problems and if so how do you get on?

cheers

19 minutes ago, Sparky1964 said:

as I stated previously, I’ve not fished since Oct 2000 and I’m just getting back into it. I was wondering if anyone on here suffered from artheritis? I have it in my lower spine and it effects my walking and standing ability and I’m wary of getting back out on the bank as standing to cast for long periods would be painful as would actually getting to my peg, the other thing that concerns me is bending down to unhook fish and place back in the water, does anyone else have similar problems and if so how do you get on?

cheers

For you id say very slowly and on pain killers which is a bit of a problem in itself due to pain killers not working like most people think they should it really is a trade off of how much you are willing to suffer in term of recovery time after.  hot water bottles are a must. you may or may not of seen all the talk of cannabis being a awesome cure all wonder painkiller, nonsense, remember most of those claims come from the USA and they have a very limited access to GP health care so take it with a pinch of salt, as cannabis could psychologically worsen your problems if you over do it and suffer a mild panic attack.  I only say that due to arthritis being one of the main medical reasons for cannabis use. 

Tackle wise a three wheel barrow maybe with a motor could be of a big help along with a bait boat.  pegs you can drive to and make diet changes if you already haven't eat less meat I only eat red meat once or twice a week, rest of the time it is cheap frozen fish or vegetarian ready meals and lots of porridge with added tinned or frozen fruit. 

I have a auto immune illness of sorts I constantly have to monitor what I'm eating as it can cause my immune system to start doing weird stuff upper body sciatica pain being what I literally fear returning if I don't damn near live like a monk. 

I don't claim any sick pay or anything but i could as could you, you may be able to get help with transport costs, the only reason I don't is because it's a bit of a catch 22 for me as I might lose my licence if I was that ill I needed a car due to the possibility of suffering bouts of vertigo, so long as I don't allow my digestion system to slow down or stop I can get by alright. 

There are a few other members with long-term medical problems be interesting to see how they get on in terms of what they are willing to suffer in order to get out fishing, most non anglers find it funny that you can go out on a tree day season and return home properly worn out and that's the same for all, unless you are a super fit runner or something.  

Thanks for all this, a few years ago I did a pain management programme, it doesn’t solve the issues it just teaches you how to deal with the pain. Plan and pace was the bug thing they kept saying, plan what you have to do and pace yourself, take stops if you need to walk any distance. I use a shooting stick which is pretty good really, I also have a motorhome and plan on doing as much fishing as I can while out in that, it’s finding the right places that’s the hardest. I’m hoping I’m going to be able to cope with my bivvy, I still have my old hutchy apotheosis but it’s the bending to peg out that has stopped me using tents over the last few years. I know there are going to have to be compromises, and as you say, painkillers are pretty ineffective long term, all I have usually is 2 paracetamol as I go to bed, it helps me sleep thru any pain in the night. One of the things on the PMP was them wanting everyone off meds as much as possible as long term effects can be worse than short term pain.

thanks again

Pain, love it, it makes you know you are alive... 😖😳😉

Seriously it really is not funny, can be a real session killer, stops you enjoying it. 

I have arthritis in my knees, and a sore back, too much sports and probably not enough looking after myself. Sciatica down my right leg, from buttock to ankle, and my right knee especially can get very stiff and sore. Even walking Sky a few miles in the morning now hurts, but her welfare comes before my own. For some reason it seems worse in the morning than the evening! 

I have had to stop using tackle brand chairs, they are too low, and switched to a directors style chair, which just happen to be cheaper. 

If I can I do drive to the swim and unload, then put the car back in the car park, or as I did at Nazeing, fish 'car park' swims. I don't find pushing a barrow too bad for short distances, but anything over around 200metres and it hurts. 

Sciatica, I found massaging my right buttock and trying to lay flat reduces the problem a bit, as does sitting with hips higher than knees, so even at home a low sofa is not good. 

I'm more comfortable standing than I am sitting, but obviously everyone is different. 

I go through stages of needing painkillers, then none for ages. 

@Carpbell_ll I'd be interested in the diet you are with as if the red meat is a potential problem. 

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Pain, love it, it makes you know you are alive... 😖😳😉

Seriously it really is not funny, can be a real session killer, stops you enjoying it. 

I have arthritis in my knees, and a sore back, too much sports and probably not enough looking after myself. Sciatica down my right leg, from buttock to ankle, and my right knee especially can get very stiff and sore. Even walking Sky a few miles in the morning now hurts, but her welfare comes before my own. For some reason it seems worse in the morning than the evening! 

I have had to stop using tackle brand chairs, they are too low, and switched to a directors style chair, which just happen to be cheaper. 

If I can I do drive to the swim and unload, then put the car back in the car park, or as I did at Nazeing, fish 'car park' swims. I don't find pushing a barrow too bad for short distances, but anything over around 200metres and it hurts. 

Sciatica, I found massaging my right buttock and trying to lay flat reduces the problem a bit, as does sitting with hips higher than knees, so even at home a low sofa is not good. 

I'm more comfortable standing than I am sitting, but obviously everyone is different. 

I go through stages of needing painkillers, then none for ages. 

@Carpbell_ll I'd be interested in the diet you are with as if the red meat is a potential problem. 

Takes me too long to digest properly and meat fats make me feel sick and sluggish eating too much leads to a slow down and as happened previously a complete stop in my digestion system leading on to inflammation and my nerve signal system going mental, i avoid most foods that are known to cause gastric problems but the red meat is more to the slow digestion.  

I have arthritic knees and collapsed discs in my lower back... it hurts to fish but the drive to fish pushes the pain aside.... I dose up with paracetamol and ibuprofen if I know I'm going out, I also wear a back brace to help with keeping my back stable and warm... I also make sure I stay as warm as possible as the cold is a reet b*gger with arthritis... 

55 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

I have arthritic knees and collapsed discs in my lower back... it hurts to fish but the drive to fish pushes the pain aside.... I dose up with paracetamol and ibuprofen if I know I'm going out, I also wear a back brace to help with keeping my back stable and warm... I also make sure I stay as warm as possible as the cold is a reet b*gger with arthritis... 

I have 2 discs missing in my neck which has caused the arthritis in my spine, doesn’t help being a fat biffa, it does trap the nerves which effects my walking. I’ve thought about a barrow and I think that’s something I’m going to have to consider when I get back to work

16 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

@Sparky1964 just out of interest, are you a member of a club or syndicate? Do they have disabled swims? 

I’m not at the minute no, I’m on waiting list for Prince Albert but I’m not convinced I want to join. I’m not registered disabled, tho I’m in the process of applying for PIP. I’ve been looking around at clubs where I can park my motorhome for convenience 

I was just wondering about approaching the local fishing clubs and speaking to them. I’m not registered disabled, but I do carry injuries from afghan, specifically my shoulder. My club issue me a disabled ticket which gives me access to the disabled pegs which are very close to the car park. I only use this privilege when my shoulder is actively playing up, but it’s a godsend when I can’t take the barrow journey to the further pegs. I was wondering if a chat to the bailiffs at your local could work something out, they may be able to come up with some arrangement that could make life easier? 

21 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

I was just wondering about approaching the local fishing clubs and speaking to them. I’m not registered disabled, but I do carry injuries from afghan, specifically my shoulder. My club issue me a disabled ticket which gives me access to the disabled pegs which are very close to the car park. I only use this privilege when my shoulder is actively playing up, but it’s a godsend when I can’t take the barrow journey to the further pegs. I was wondering if a chat to the bailiffs at your local could work something out, they may be able to come up with some arrangement that could make life easier? 

That’s a good idea. I’ve spoken to one club in Cheshire that have said I can park the Moho if I join the club, so for now it’s looking like that’s the route I’ll have to take, it’s a fairly small water too so no massive treks and my girlfriend will come and she’d help me then stay in the van. The bait boat idea is one I’ll be thinking seriously about too, but I kinda feel like it’s cheating :)

Took me years to get regular painkillers of the doc i get a strong synthetic opium mix but i can only take them for a few days here and there due to they also shut your digestion system down, also put me me on sertiline which is a prozac med not the sort of thing i would of went anywhere near a few years back but it seems i had a lack of whatever it helps build up in the brain. it's one of the symptoms of MS or one of the many other immune system illness lol, i gave up trying to get a precise diagnoses years back Meniere's disease  is my call due to family history.  

20 hours ago, Sparky1964 said:

That’s a good idea. I’ve spoken to one club in Cheshire that have said I can park the Moho if I join the club, so for now it’s looking like that’s the route I’ll have to take, it’s a fairly small water too so no massive treks and my girlfriend will come and she’d help me then stay in the van. The bait boat idea is one I’ll be thinking seriously about too, but I kinda feel like it’s cheating :)

If you need a bait boat for medical reasons it is not cheating😉

If for the sake of using a bait boat it is... 

Even if you can't park behind the swim, being able to drop off the gear will surely help. That is something I do whenever possible. 

My gear seems to have increased now that my PTSD care dog (Sky) comes with me almost everywhere. She has her food bucket, which usually contains extra treats... 

I found that where I used to walk with Rucksack, rod holdall, bedchair and tackle box the ordinary barrow does make life a lot easier so I can be more comfortable with an extra chair, more water etc. 

33 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

If you need a bait boat for medical reasons it is not cheating😉

If for the sake of using a bait boat it is... 

Even if you can't park behind the swim, being able to drop off the gear will surely help. That is something I do whenever possible. 

My gear seems to have increased now that my PTSD care dog (Sky) comes with me almost everywhere. She has her food bucket, which usually contains extra treats... 

I found that where I used to walk with Rucksack, rod holdall, bedchair and tackle box the ordinary barrow does make life a lot easier so I can be more comfortable with an extra chair, more water etc. 

Edited by Sparky1964
Wrong reply

Cheers for the advice. I think a barrow and bait boat are going on the shopping list. Maybe maybe you 2 guys could see if theres a pain management clinic near you as they tend to be a bit more up to speed on these things. I’ve been having tests for years, then my GP referred me to Salford Hope Hospital and they told me what nobody else could. I did a 3 week intensive course for pain management and it was brilliant, I’d recommend it to anyone, and they take from anywhere in UK, on the course they pay for transport, cheap hotels, taxis and grub... may be worth asking your doc about

One thing I found helped my back is using a chair that can sit on your bed, I used to get quite a bad back ache sitting on a bedchair, I have a trakker levelite transformer chair which can sit on the floor and also on a bed, might be quite low still on the floor but it's OK for me at the moment, and it is good on a bed, but it Definately helps and supports my back, 

Not sure it's the same but people swear by heavy weighted blankets or duvets for polymyalgia, I saw it yesterday, and thought that might have been good for my dad, 😢 but if it helps worth sharing 👍

I always think a power barrow might be a good investment for the future, and if a bait boat gets you fishing again it isn't cheating, I kind of want one for stealthy night time prebaiting lol, I keep seeing too many benefits for one (I haven't yet though ) 😂

53 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

One thing I found helped my back is using a chair that can sit on your bed, I used to get quite a bad back ache sitting on a bedchair, I have a trakker levelite transformer chair which can sit on the floor and also on a bed, might be quite low still on the floor but it's OK for me at the moment, and it is good on a bed, but it Definately helps and supports my back, 

Not sure it's the same but people swear by heavy weighted blankets or duvets for polymyalgia, I saw it yesterday, and thought that might have been good for my dad, 😢 but if it helps worth sharing 👍

I always think a power barrow might be a good investment for the future, and if a bait boat gets you fishing again it isn't cheating, I kind of want one for stealthy night time prebaiting lol, I keep seeing too many benefits for one (I haven't yet though ) 😂

Actually comes under latest purchases, but got this for sitting on my bedchair 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemId=303638460183&transactionId=1845725758020

I have been looking at these, wish they’d had them 20 years ago... I’d pretty much decided that I was going to use my camping chair as much as possible, it’s just quite big. I certainly can’t afford the power barrow, as much as it would help me massively. I’ve kind of decided how I’m going to have do things. Mainly picking lakes where I can park close by, if i go in my MH then the mrs will help me carry stuff and she can chill in the van

1 hour ago, Sparky1964 said:

I have been looking at these, wish they’d had them 20 years ago... I’d pretty much decided that I was going to use my camping chair as much as possible, it’s just quite big. I certainly can’t afford the power barrow, as much as it would help me massively. I’ve kind of decided how I’m going to have do things. Mainly picking lakes where I can park close by, if i go in my MH then the mrs will help me carry stuff and she can chill in the van

Lucky lady! my mrs would have none of that she wants me to get a cheap caravan stop on sites that have fishing, i could just imagine the response i'd get if i asked the guy who runs the lakes i fish if i could pop a caravan in the car park lol. 

54 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Lucky lady! my mrs would have none of that she wants me to get a cheap caravan stop on sites that have fishing, i could just imagine the response i'd get if i asked the guy who runs the lakes i fish if i could pop a caravan in the car park lol. 

I’m having problems with the motorhome to be fair, there are a lot of sites now that have fishing tho, and some have great fishing. Luckily for me the mrs likes being out in the van and she likes the countryside