What Breaking Strain Line For Floater Fishing

crusian

I’ve got 8lb dedicated floater line on my floater gear, but I don’t have any significant snags on my waters. I use it for both freelining and controller work. On my main reels, I’ve got diawa hyper sensor which in 12lb which is a nice thin diameter, although it’s in the dark brown diawa sensor is known for, 12lb is 0.28mm which may work for snaggy floater work, but it doesn’t come in clear and it’s reduced diameter might not withstand snaggy conditions. 

Just now, ouchthathurt said:

I’ve got 8lb dedicated floater line on my floater gear, but I don’t have any significant snags on my waters. I use it for both freelining and controller work. On my main reels, I’ve got diawa hyper sensor which in 12lb which is a nice thin diameter, although it’s in the dark brown diawa sensor is known for, 12lb is 0.28mm which may work for snaggy floater work, but it doesn’t come in clear and it’s reduced diameter might not withstand snaggy conditions. 

Most waters I fish have snags weed etc hence the 12 if I’m stalking with my pin an 6ft rod then I’m on 10 lb spider wire ouch 

48 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

I use 12 lb Berkeley and not had any problem 

44 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

Thanks , fellas , that's very helpful .

👍

1 hour ago, crusian said:

Hi Everyone

I'm loading my Reels up with fresh line , but what breaking strain for ;

( a ) Controller Float fishing ? , and 

( b ) Freelining close in ? .

My lake holds Carp up to about 25lb , with lillies , and overhanging trees .

Thanks .

😃

For Brackens I used 15lb Daiwa Sensor treated with Kryston Greased Lightning to help it float, fish up to 38lb, so that is not as over gunned as it sounds. 

Even on the park lake freelining near the rushes that is the gear as well. 

For clear water I tend to use 8 or 10lb Daiwa Sensor

I prefer the brown Sensor, the white seemed stiffer and I could not get a decent knot with it. 

20 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

For Brackens I used 15lb Daiwa Sensor treated with Kryston Greased Lightning to help it float, fish up to 38lb, so that is not as over gunned as it sounds. 

Even on the park lake freelining near the rushes that is the gear as well. 

For clear water I tend to use 8 or 10lb Daiwa Sensor

I prefer the brown Sensor, the white seemed stiffer and I could not get a decent knot with it. 

Hi Nick

I thought it was you that previously said a coloured line was more supple as the dye softened it ? .  

41 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hi Nick

I thought it was you that previously said a coloured line was more supple as the dye softened it ? .  

I believe so. 

Black Amnesia is softer than clear, and I think that the brown Sensor is more supple than the clear. 

That could explain why I find knotting coloured lines easier than the same line in clear. 

I also think that a number of lines from different tackle brands are actually produced in the same factory, some are even the same line just in different packaging. 

I haven't looked at Tackle Box's line tests for a few years now to compare them.