Topping an showing

Carpmaster

There's loads of reason imo. Feeding, clearing gills, ditching parasites, regulating the swim bladder..... and I also believe that sometimes they're just playing (for lack of a better word).

Head'n'shouldering is a strong indicator for feeding on the deck. Those flicky, splashy shows indicate feeding up in the water (ziggy shows I call them). But ultimately I'll move on to ANY kind of show if I'm not seeing them in front of me. Active fish are normally catchable fish imo. 

If I see fish show I will move onto them. 

Not all shows are obvious either; I have seen what I thought was a swirl, just a circular ripple, almost like feather going round three quarters of a circle, and caught from it. 

The head and shoulders, jumping are obvious, easily seen, but not all indicate carp feeding on a spot. I have seen fish head and shouldering, but the catching spot was 20metres to the left of it. I think the fish were digging into the silt, feeding, then coming up to clear their gills.

Other times the dolphin type shows were carp moving onto a feeding area. 

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

If I see fish show I will move onto them. 

Not all shows are obvious either; I have seen what I thought was a swirl, just a circular ripple, almost like feather going round three quarters of a circle, and caught from it. 

The head and shoulders, jumping are obvious, easily seen, but not all indicate carp feeding on a spot. I have seen fish head and shouldering, but the catching spot was 20metres to the left of it. I think the fish were digging into the silt, feeding, then coming up to clear their gills.

Other times the dolphin type shows were carp moving onto a feeding area. 

I’ve noticed similar swirls usually a single large bubble comes to the top an floats away after said swirls I’ve put it to either of 2 things insect or blackberries falling from the bushes on the island or the carp are taking mud from the island as minerals.  If anyone has any other ideas I’d like to hear them 

12 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The head and shoulders, jumping are obvious, easily seen, but not all indicate carp feeding on a spot. I have seen fish head and shouldering, but the catching spot was 20metres to the left of it.

This is quite normal imo. If we think about it, it would be unusual (imo) for a carp to travel vertically. It will travel head first and normally reach the surface a short distance away from the spot itself. When it's calm you can see this as they will leave a trail of bubbles as they head back down after showing. There aint much quite as exciting as seeing a show then watching the trail of bubbles lead directly to your spot. Bite time.

6 hours ago, yonny said:

This is quite normal imo. If we think about it, it would be unusual (imo) for a carp to travel vertically. It will travel head first and normally reach the surface a short distance away from the spot itself. When it's calm you can see this as they will leave a trail of bubbles as they head back down after showing. There aint much quite as exciting as seeing a show then watching the trail of bubbles lead directly to your spot. Bite time.

But Soooo incredibly frustrating when you see the line of bubbles head to your spot and then pass your spot without stopping, which has happened to me 🙄 I’ve had a carp go berserk when I underarmed a rig to a showing fish just past where I seen it show and promptly hit it 😞

Edited by Big Bass

On 11/11/2020 at 08:14, yonny said:

The interesting one most definitely, but the head and shoulering can be on the way in to the food, or on the way out, I have seen both. 

For some reason on a few waters I fished, carp would always approach the spot from the left or right, always the same side at a particular time, go down on the food, then head and shoulder on the way out, before going around again. In one case, always swimming around an island from right to left. It didn't have to be an island swim though, the feeding in this manner occurred even in open water.