Winter particles for spod mix

Ho ho ho

We're starting to get to that time of year again, soon be Christmas and all that, 🎅🎅

Which particles would you include in your yuletide spod mix,? 

If it's anything like the last couple of years it may still be mild, so I was thinking trickle a bit of particle in regularly and try and keep them moving 

My mix so far I think hemp, groats, sweetcorn, maples, and maybe some crushed nuts and a few 12mm boilies, 

What is your winter spod mix? 

6 minutes ago, yonny said:

I just carry on with whatever I'm using in summer/autumn tbh. I guess I cut down down on pellet and boilie but apart from that I just carry on.

I've been using pigeon mix lately, I could keep on with that I guess nice and cheep, it does make sense to continue, I do add some nuts to it though and I might start adding some corn for a bit more colour 

Is carnation milk bad to use in winter? 

22 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Is carnation milk bad to use in winter? 

No it's fine mate. Tbh even fishmeal baits are OK in my experience. It's just high oil pellet you want to avoid.

They key to winter baiting is timing imo. Any old decent bait will work. The trick is to start before winter and keep it going in. If you start in winter it's generally too late and you've missed the boat. But if you start early you can keep them visiting right through the colder months.

5 minutes ago, yonny said:

No it's fine mate. Tbh even fishmeal baits are OK in my experience. It's just high oil pellet you want to avoid.

They key to winter baiting is timing imo. Any old decent bait will work. The trick is to start before winter and keep it going in. If you start in winter it's generally too late and you've missed the boat. But if you start early you can keep them visiting right through the colder months.

That's good fancy a bit of a cloud in there, 🌥️☁️

The reason I am already asking is because that is already my plan, It started as a September thing but once you start you may as well keep on going with it was my thinking, I'm starting to get to my favourite fishing time of the year now hopefully I might start catching again soon 😁

If I put any particle in in the winter, it is normally well soaked pigeon conditioner, hemp and sweetcorn.

I don't know why, I tend to avoid larger particles like maize, black eyes, maples etc, especially since maize is apparently such a good winter feed.

6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

If I put any particle in in the winter, it is normally well soaked pigeon conditioner, hemp and sweetcorn.

I don't know why, I tend to avoid larger particles like maize, black eyes, maples etc, especially since maize is apparently such a good winter feed.

Do you ever add sugar to your pigeon Conditioner? 

I just wondered as I read it helps it ferment and gloop up if that's a word 😁

3 minutes ago, yonny said:

It should gloop up itself during cooking if prepared correctly.

Soak for 24, boil, then simmer for half an hour👍

I've just been using the cool box method soaking for at least 24hrs in  boiling water seems to work fine, I find if I leave them for 48h they are gloopier 24hrs and they are a bit but sugar is meant to accelerate this process? 

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I've just been using the cool box method soaking for at least 24hrs in  boiling water seems to work fine, I find if I leave them for 48h they are gloopier 24hrs and they are a bit but sugar is meant to accelerate this process? 

The cool box method is pants compared to proper prep mate. Soak, boil, simmer. You'll be able to turn the pan on it's side and it'll not fall out it's so gloopy👍

12 minutes ago, yonny said:

The cool box method is pants compared to proper prep mate. Soak, boil, simmer. You'll be able to turn the pan on it's side and it'll not fall out it's so gloopy👍

Its just not so domestically friendly 😁

If I keep on I will need a burco I think tbh anyway, I'm quite enjoying prepping my own particles at the moment, they always seem fresher and better than shop bought or frozen 

6 hours ago, yonny said:

Most definitely, soak and boil definitely increases the attraction. No need for sugar. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 17/08/2020 at 11:49, elmoputney said:

Ho ho ho

We're starting to get to that time of year again, soon be Christmas and all that, 🎅🎅

Which particles would you include in your yuletide spod mix,? 

If it's anything like the last couple of years it may still be mild, so I was thinking trickle a bit of particle in regularly and try and keep them moving 

My mix so far I think hemp, groats, sweetcorn, maples, and maybe some crushed nuts and a few 12mm boilies, 

What is your winter spod mix? 

Boilie crumb/chops, liquids and pellet. Also gonna try frozen bloodworm soon.

On 19/08/2020 at 15:45, yonny said:

I've just used my mini urnie for the first time, you were certainly right, boiled up some pigeon Conditioner, so much gloopier, I was thinking I would have a load of excess water to deal with but none, ain't no going back now will be experimenting with all sorts next year I think 👍 

• 1 year later...