Popups

Ark79

On 26/10/2020 at 17:33, Gaffa22 said:

Yes indeed one mans nectar is another mans poison.

Flavours are a very subjective area, and it’s difficult to accurately compare one against the other as there are too many variables.

Baitwise I just use what gives me confidence, I was brought up with Rod Hutchinson flavours and ingredients, as started carping in the late 70’s 

I dont use flavours in my main loose feed boilies, a good base mix should have all the attraction needed. So the only baits I use with artificial flavours are a few pop ups and wafters I buy, as it’s difficult to make them as good as you can buy off the shelf.

I'm of rather different views on flavours and essential oils, I found some very good combinations, and that iso-eugenol could improve the attraction of a number of baits. 

The obvious essential oil that got lots of note was a proper genuine full Black Pepper oil. 

Some baits were a whole lot better with the addition of flavours, The Biollix, not bad, but my Cinnamon EO with Peach Nutrafruit knocked it even better. 

Then we have Enervite Gold, with Julian Cundiff's favourite Strawberry and Cream Elite with Bergamot EO. Plain Enervite Gold with Multimino never caught as much as the flavoured version. 

Another combination I played with was Eucalyptus EO, Cherry Elite and 2drops of Iso-eugenol. As a bait it smelt like your chemist's sore throat remedy, it had its own Tune... 

Boy did it work! 

Taking some of these combinations and trying others, some complete pop-ups I bought, (some same flavours or similar from various manufacturers), not all were the same in terms off effectiveness. Nutrabaits Pineapple N-butyric (plain yellow) were as effective as Mainline Fluoro Yellow Pineapple. Dynamite's Fluoro Pineapple were not as good as Solars Pineapple, in terms of fish caught. 

My own Garlic Oil and Megaspice pop-ups have produced fish from various waters. I gave the recipe to a bait company, they hated making them, they stink, yet on a water just down the road from that company, locals couldn't get enough of them, they produced loads of fish, and now I make my own, continue to do so. Maybe I should come up with a catchier name and they'd sell... 

I go through my bait bag now and find I seem to have got a collection again:

Monster Crab, KMG in base mix and Fluoro colours, a pale pink Raspberry and Black Pepper, little yellow Aniseed and Bunspice and my own Spiced Garlic (is that catchier?) 

Some are for merely using as top knot on a snowman bait, some as I heard a pale pink pop-up is a catcher on my lake, some to match the baiting and feeding and obviously one because I have complete faith in it. 

4 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm of rather different views on flavours and essential oils, I found some very good combinations, and that iso-eugenol could improve the attraction of a number of baits. 

The obvious essential oil that got lots of note was a proper genuine full Black Pepper oil. 

Some baits were a whole lot better with the addition of flavours, The Biollix, not bad, but my Cinnamon EO with Peach Nutrafruit knocked it even better. 

Then we have Enervite Gold, with Julian Cundiff's favourite Strawberry and Cream Elite with Bergamot EO. Plain Enervite Gold with Multimino never caught as much as the flavoured version. 

Another combination I played with was Eucalyptus EO, Cherry Elite and 2drops of Iso-eugenol. As a bait it smelt like your chemist's sore throat remedy, it had its own Tune... 

Boy did it work! 

Taking some of these combinations and trying others, some complete pop-ups I bought, (some same flavours or similar from various manufacturers), not all were the same in terms off effectiveness. Nutrabaits Pineapple N-butyric (plain yellow) were as effective as Mainline Fluoro Yellow Pineapple. Dynamite's Fluoro Pineapple were not as good as Solars Pineapple, in terms of fish caught. 

My own Garlic Oil and Megaspice pop-ups have produced fish from various waters. I gave the recipe to a bait company, they hated making them, they stink, yet on a water just down the road from that company, locals couldn't get enough of them, they produced loads of fish, and now I make my own, continue to do so. Maybe I should come up with a catchier name and they'd sell... 

Monster Crab, KMG in base mix and Fluoro colours, a pale pink Raspberry and Black Pepper, little yellow Aniseed and Bunspice and my own Spiced Garlic (is that catchier?) 

Some are for merely using as top knot on a snowman bait, some as I heard a pale pink pop-up is a catcher on my lake, some to match the baiting and feeding and obviously one because I have complete faith in it. 

That garlic and mega spice one sounds lovely 

but garlic spice would be a better name lol

Edited by framey

18 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Personally I just use whatever, and try different things on all rods, will maybe switch another over if I catch on one, but not too bothered about flavours being the same or different colours, if they work as they should, and stand out a bit I'm happy I want my hookbait to be noticed, I will usually have a matching pop up,  and a banana one and usually a brown black pepper + proper job to start with, I think you have 3 different rods try 3 different things, one thing I have noticed I can't find a favourite hookbait that seems to really stand out above all the others, it's usually the one you least expect that rattles off 😏

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

This is dynamite colour explanation of what to use and when may help you 👍

Screenshot_20201116_080443_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.da2326f14bc2b9d72cdc7f87cb9d88f5.jpg

Thanks , Elmo , helpful as always .

😃

8 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Boy did it work! 

That's a lot of helpful info. , Nick .

It's taken some careful reading to make sure I've taken it all in .

😁

24 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

I make my own bait an pop ups this time of yr I turn to the tutti fruiti or pineapple I don’t know why but these two flavours have been working for yes an still catch carp

If just like to add green into the mix from sprulina carp luv it but birds can’t really find it the confusing looks on the coots an tuftys when they pop up to the top with nothing in the beak is quiet amusing 😂 

On 18/11/2020 at 06:35, Carpmaster said:

If just like to add green into the mix from sprulina carp luv it but birds can’t really find it the confusing looks on the coots an tuftys when they pop up to the top with nothing in the beak is quiet amusing 😂 

A bait I was working on years ago for a food source was green, I found seagulls had problems seeing them after impact.