Books

55 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ve not read any of Shelley’s

The first one is half decent. It covers Wraysbury, the 'Brooke etc. The 2nd one is OK, it has the Mere chapter. The 3rd one is OK at best.

The 2nd two make you cringe a bit. He talks like he's a victim but you can tell he's anything but.

There are much better books out there IMO.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

The first one is half decent. It covers Wraysbury, the 'Brooke etc. The 2nd one is OK, it has the Mere chapter. The 3rd one is OK at best.

The 2nd two make you cringe a bit. He talks like he's a victim but you can tell he's anything but.

I’ll give them a miss then!

Any suggestions?

I’ve read Hutchy, Maylin, Maddocks, Sharman, Hilton, Hearn, Lane, Holness, Gray, Penning, Warwick, Paisley, Dempsey, Yates, Crow and others I can’t remember!

8 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Any suggestions?

Darrel Peck's book is great. He's brutally honest in it. A really good read.

Savay by John Harry is a must-read.

Forgotten Chapters by Fareham/friends is brilliant if you've not read it.

The Chronicles series (Wraysbury, Horton and Savay) are good - especially the Wraysbury one.

The History of Yateley books are also good if you like reading about the old Yateley kippers.

Looking at your list I suspect you'll already have got some of these tbh.

10 minutes ago, yonny said:

Darrel Peck's book is great. He's brutally honest in it. A really good read.

Savay by John Harry is a must-read.

Forgotten Chapters by Fareham/friends is brilliant if you've not read it.

The Chronicles series (Wraysbury, Horton and Savay) are good - especially the Wraysbury one.

The History of Yateley books are also good if you like reading about the old Yateley kippers.

Looking at your list I suspect you'll already have got some of these tbh.

Yeah, read Forgotten Chapters and Savay. Pecky’s book is one I’d like but only seen it for silly money.

I’ll look out for the ‘Chronicles’ series👍

1 minute ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Pecky’s book is one I’d like but only seen it for silly money.

Yeah it's shot up this past couple of years. I think I paid 60 odd quid😣

Skeff's book A Fool and His Eel is good - a bit different to all the others. A work of art. Ritchie McDonald aint on your list either. Both quite cheap.

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Regarding his books, like you say they are ok. Something to do to while away the hours. 

But as a person I found him to be a top bloke if I'm honest.  When the rumours were about that  he would be going to dinton when I was fishing there I just thought we don't need anyone like him on the lake. Though one angler who i knew and knew him well said don't believe all you hear and find out for yourself.  And I found an all round decent bloke. One night on the lake a few of us were having a social with him and he was openly admitting that in his past he was a right ****.. and because of that if anything bad was said about him he was guilty full stop, yet it was a lot of the time made up to smear him or get him banned.  Stories made up by numbers of anglers on certain lakes all backing each other up, he didnt stand a chance because of his past. Though he treated dinton and its anglers with full on respect,  so can't knock him at all. And the man is one hell of an angler. I can safely say I've met  other "named"  anglers on there who are a damn site worse than Shelley.  

1 hour ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ll give them a miss then!

Any suggestions?

I’ve read Hutchy, Maylin, Maddocks, Sharman, Hilton, Hearn, Lane, Holness, Gray, Penning, Warwick, Paisley, Dempsey, Yates, Crow and others I can’t remember!

Have you read Micky gray's book "a merry old dance". The best book I've read by a mile. No airs no Grace's, told exactly how it was. I couldn't put it down. Read it in a  weekend. 

Martin Clarke's book is ok (his first one I've read). 

Mike willmott 

Nigel sharps book, living the dream 

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

Have you read Micky gray's book "a merry old dance". The best book I've read by a mile. No airs no Grace's, told exactly how it was. I couldn't put it down. Read it in a  weekend. 

Martin Clarke's book is ok (his first one I've read). 

Mike willmott 

Nigel sharps book, living the dream 

Read Micky’s second book but not ‘Merry Old Dance’, again it goes for silly money these days.

Read both of Wimott’s but not Sharpy’s.

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Yeah it's shot up this past couple of years. I think I paid 60 odd quid😣

Skeff's book A Fool and His Eel is good - a bit different to all the others. A work of art. Ritchie McDonald aint on your list either. Both quite cheap.

Borrowed and read Skeff’s- lovely.

Forgot about old Ritchie-I’ll look out for it👍

Not about carp per se but with a few nods to it.... have a read of Rob Olsen's "Waterlust" 

Finished Rod Hutchinson's "Before I forget" and whilst the start of the book was great it was rather picture heavy and was basically unfinished and cut off without much preamble.... sad to see Rod meet his maker, but I think that this is a book that should not have been published as it is, but completed by a close friend or family or not at all.....

51 minutes ago, yonny said:

That's news to me. I have Ritchie on Carp. What's the other?

Ritchie on carp the whole story 

it also comes with a dvd 

I have both but haven’t even opened the 2nd one yet. I have loads That are still in the shipping packaging lol

A book I highly rate is "Rolling in the Deep" by Adam Penning. It's a right doorstop (will come in useful if we're in lock down for 6 months!) The fishing chapters are top quality and you get a grasp of what it takes to be top rod and the chapter on Wraysbury was almost painful to read, let alone endure it. But it's not all fishing. There are plenty of autobiographical bits that intertwine the stories and I felt they added to the book by relating how he managed to spend his spare time fishing and some of the sacrifices he made. Not cheap at £40 (with postage) but I read it 3 times last year and will probably do so again some time, a classic testament that it is worth the money.

https://calmproductions.com/rolling-in-the-deep

1 hour ago, Golden Paws said:

A book I highly rate is "Rolling in the Deep" by Adam Penning. It's a right doorstop (will come in useful if we're in lock down for 6 months!) The fishing chapters are top quality and you get a grasp of what it takes to be top rod and the chapter on Wraysbury was almost painful to read, let alone endure it. But it's not all fishing. There are plenty of autobiographical bits that intertwine the stories and I felt they added to the book by relating how he managed to spend his spare time fishing and some of the sacrifices he made. Not cheap at £40 (with postage) but I read it 3 times last year and will probably do so again some time, a classic testament that it is worth the money.

https://calmproductions.com/rolling-in-the-deep

Read it myself and enjoyed it a lot👍

16 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

"Rolling in the Deep" by Adam Penning

Everyone seems to really rate that book. I think it's decent, but not head and shoulders above most others tbh.

16 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

chapter on Wraysbury

Admittedly the bit with the Pug and the massive common was captivating lol.