Rod licence issue

pablo7uk

Hi all,

Has anyone ever been in the situation of currently having a 2 rod 12 month coarse licence and wanting to change to or upgrade to a 3 rod licence?

I've just rung up the environment agency phone line and they told me that this isn't possible and my options are;

- cancel current licence and take out a full year 3 rod licence (therefore I would lose 6 months of licence I've already paid for)

- take out a day licence in addition to my current licence each time I want to use 3 rods at £6 per day

- take out a second 2 rod licence therefore allowing me to use 4 rods but obviously with a total cost of £60 per year (I don't even have 4 rods and I'm not even sure what fisheries would allow 4 rods)

I've logged a complaint to be reviewed by the fishing team so fingers crossed somebody there will have some sense and bend the procedures to make this work!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

It is a stupid thing that you cant, lesson learnt though so just get a 3 rod license next time round. 

In the meantime really assess if 3 rods is required, dont just fish 3 for the sake of it. There are plenty of times I havent put my 3rd rod out because the swim is a bit tight, a lack of spots to fish, fish in the swim already and I dont want to disturb them, etc. 

2 hours ago, yonny said:

I see.

That's a bit pants innit.

I thought that was their initial plan, a 1-2-3 rod license options. 

I have this debate loads with an angling group I sit on. It's often mentioned rod license income is down, I remind them that they reduced the price for 3 rods, and although it's slightly increased on 2 rods there is still a loss of a couple quid. That adds up. It's not the sole reason sales/figures are down but it contributes. When you think its £9 cheaper to have a 3 rod license than it was before to buy two 2 rod licenses, now think of the number of carp anglers in the country (assuming they all buy licenses) and add it up. There's a HUGE loss straight away. 

10 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Well I've had a very thorough reply from them but the basics of it is that they don't have a clever enough system for rod licences for this upgrade type option to be available and if they did it would increase rod licence costs. 

Funny 

if they had a system that worked like that it could make it cheaper as someone wouldn’t need to answer phone calls or emails 

still 

keeps someone employed lol

• 1 year later...

I am in the same situation, I read this, I think it means upgrading but it didn't state rod useage or upgrading for salmon or sea fishing, 

How to Upgrade a Rod Licence 2021

You must use the correct type of Environment Agency Rod Licence when you are angling for fish. You must not fish for sea trout or salmon with a Trout, Coarse Fish and Eel licence.

Note: You can upgrade your fishing licence by paying the difference in rod licence cost at a Post Office branch.

20 hours ago, Scottyrobo said:

I am in the same situation, I read this, I think it means upgrading but it didn't state rod useage or upgrading for salmon or sea fishing, 

How to Upgrade a Rod Licence 2021

You must use the correct type of Environment Agency Rod Licence when you are angling for fish. You must not fish for sea trout or salmon with a Trout, Coarse Fish and Eel licence.

Note: You can upgrade your fishing licence by paying the difference in rod licence cost at a Post Office branch.

That has always been the case 

you can fish for coarse fish with a salmon license but not the other way around.

22 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

I’ve been asked to renew mine but I payed last yr and everything closed so wasn’t able to use it how do we stand on that point 🧐🧐

What closed for the entire year? Not being funny but a maximum of £45 for a year, which was reduced by a few months maximum, is hardly anything to be moaning about.  

Angling has been allowed and opportunity has been there to fish for all for extensive periods, more than any other sport/activity. if you’ve chosen not to then it’s on you. How would you even claim anything back? You’d have no way of putting a figure on what you’d be owed for a start. 

59 minutes ago, greekskii said:

What closed for the entire year? Not being funny but a maximum of £45 for a year, which was reduced by a few months maximum, is hardly anything to be moaning about.  

Angling has been allowed and opportunity has been there to fish for all for extensive periods, more than any other sport/activity. if you’ve chosen not to then it’s on you. How would you even claim anything back? You’d have no way of putting a figure on what you’d be owed for a start. 

Not on my park lake it closed the first lockdown and stayed closed to fishing as all of Wales did SO no we wasn’t allowed fishing so to buy a yrs license an not be able to use it makes it something in my book