Ronnie rigs with a loop

pablo7uk

Hi all 

Just tied up some Ronnie rigs and had a few questions/thoughts whilst going through the process. I wanted to tie them using stiff rig and decided rather than going with the trend of crimps that I would use a simple loop, maybe it's been done before and is a suitable alternative but what are your thoughts given that the swivel has a lot of loop to move around on.

Also when you steam the rig straight do you pull the hook straight too therefore lining up the entire rig or do you typically align the shrink tube and swivel in a particular way or angle. With this example I just pulled straight.

IMG_20200213_191712.jpg

12 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

what are your thoughts given that the swivel has a lot of loop to move around on.

It's a good thing imo.

12 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Also when you steam the rig straight do you pull the hook straight too therefore lining up the entire rig or do you typically align the shrink tube and swivel in a particular way or angle. With this example I just pulled straight.

You want it angled mate. Hold the hook by the bend when you steam it and it will naturally curve as the tubing shrinks. Perfect.

13 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Personally unless the lake bed you are fishing is flat I would use a coated braid, especially at this time of year as there may be leaves and detritus around to ruin your presentation, and be careful steaming fluoro it's quite easy to weaken it I think 

I actually tie Ronnie rigs on coated braid on the occasions I use them, with a loop to the hook swivel, then make sure it is perfectly round.

The other thing with fluorocarbon, and mono, is that the abrasion resistance of coated braid is better, which on the lakebed I fish in is important.

I have my hooks angled forward, so the pop-up is vertical and hiding everything.

13 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Hi all 

Just tied up some Ronnie rigs and had a few questions/thoughts whilst going through the process. I wanted to tie them using stiff rig and decided rather than going with the trend of crimps that I would use a simple loop, maybe it's been done before and is a suitable alternative but what are your thoughts given that the swivel has a lot of loop to move around on.

IMG_20200213_191712.jpg

I have 2 lots of Ronnie's...below

Screenshot_20200214_092616.thumb.jpg.ae4d335e9064c8cf7087fb77562f0016.jpg

With loops/krimps and coated braids.

Ah ok so basically I need to round the loops so that the movement for the swivel will be easier and also I need to angle the shrink tube more as well?

I tied some micro barbed versions exactly the same as I'm planning on going on Foxes lake at Wyreside, Lancaster. I've never fished the place before so not too sure about the composition of the bottom but I know there aren't really any overhanging trees etc and I know there is a weed and gravel bar/ sunken island across the middle of the lake.

I already have some tied up with coated braid and stripped the last couple of cms before the hook so maybe they would be better?