What Are The Carp Feeding On

crusian

Hello Everyone

I was doing a bit of marker work down the shallow end of my lake so as not to disturb the other anglers down the deeper , main body of the lake ; and I was surprised to see 3 or 4 , maybe scraper double carp , swimming about quite active .

So I'm thinking as the carp were so active they must be using up energy which they would need to replace by eating , but as I don't think the shallows are fished much , if at all , at this time of year , what are the carp eating ? .

I was bringing up what I considered healthy , freshly growing weed  , but are there any " naturals " around at the moment ? .

Ta

😃

49 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hello Everyone

I was doing a bit of marker work down the shallow end of my lake so as not to disturb the other anglers down the deeper , main body of the lake ; and I was surprised to see 3 or 4 , maybe scraper double carp , swimming about quite active .

So I'm thinking as the carp were so active they must be using up energy which they would need to replace by eating , but as I don't think the shallows are fished much , if at all , at this time of year , what are the carp eating ? .

I was bringing up what I considered healthy , freshly growing weed  , but are there any " naturals " around at the moment ? .

Ta

😃

I've had my most successful winters fishing the shallows. 

Always natural about, they might just have to root about more for it. I recall walking around my old syndicate over the xmas holidays a number of years back to see a mate. Got to the shallows, 3ft - 5ft deep (lake is primarily 10ft - 15 ft deep) to find the an area about 15yds round the colour of tea. Properly being smashed up by the fish. That was midday on a bright wind less day, sun shining on the shallows. 

29 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I've had my most successful winters fishing the shallows. 

Always natural about, they might just have to root about more for it. I recall walking around my old syndicate over the xmas holidays a number of years back to see a mate. Got to the shallows, 3ft - 5ft deep (lake is primarily 10ft - 15 ft deep) to find the an area about 15yds round the colour of tea. Properly being smashed up by the fish. That was midday on a bright wind less day, sun shining on the shallows. 

Ahh , lovely stuff , Emmcee .

Thanks very much .

😄

I would think a lot might be to do with water tempersture as well as the shallow part will warm up quicker and the fish will go there to warm up, i guess the shallows will make other creatures drawn to the heat, might be worth trickling a bit of bait in you may find they keep coming back, not sure where you are but it doesn't seem that cold at the moment and it hasn't really been cold for that long yet so they might still be fairly active if they are being fed, also if they are younger fish they will probably eat more as there metabolism will work faster than the older carp so they may have more energy to burn (Simon Scott mentioned that in this months carp cast) 

Good luck 

On 03/01/2020 at 01:45, elmoputney said:

I would think a lot might be to do with water tempersture as well as the shallow part will warm up quicker and the fish will go there to warm up, i guess the shallows will make other creatures drawn to the heat, might be worth trickling a bit of bait in you may find they keep coming back, not sure where you are but it doesn't seem that cold at the moment and it hasn't really been cold for that long yet so they might still be fairly active if they are being fed, also if they are younger fish they will probably eat more as there metabolism will work faster than the older carp so they may have more energy to burn (Simon Scott mentioned that in this months carp cast) 

Good luck 

Thanks , Elmo .

My Wife's unexpectedly going away for a night or 2 , so tomorrow I can go out to play ! .

🎣