1egg pop up mixes

23 hours ago, Steve Puplett said:

Has anyone got some high attract 1egg pop up mixes recipes for the upcoming winter months looking for something with highly water soluble additives to get the carps attention in colder conditions

Proprietary pop up mix around 100 grams I found 

egg albumin or whey powder to harden 

flavour or combination

sweetener

colour 

you could then also wrap that around a cork ball

dont bother making your own pop up mix Waste of time

On 18 October 2019 at 18:08, Steve Puplett said:

Has anyone got some high attract 1egg pop up mixes recipes for the upcoming winter months looking for something with highly water soluble additives to get the carps attention in colder conditions

There are loads of hi-attract flavour combinations around.

Pineapple and N-butyric acid is probably the best known combination, but I have faith in a few of my own, one of which is 

Another combination I have used successfully is Eucalyptus Oil and Cherry Flavour, along with Cinnamon Oil and Peach, both have worked well.

You could try Iso-Eugenol and Orange/Jaffa flavour.

You will probably find some of those are quite similar to some well publicised pop-ups. 

If looking for a high attract fruity pop up, then I use main line Polaris pop up mix, bit of egg albumin (egg white powder from a supermarket baking isle) a red bait dye (in small quantities to give me a pale pink colour) premier peach flavour. 

To be honest, as I use the same base mix and attractor/flavour/additives combination when rolling my own bait all year round, I tend to just stick with that, making up a one egg mix of my usual base mix, adding egg albumin and wrapping the paste around a cork ball. I personally don't see the need to swap over to a high attract pop up in the colder months. I've fed the carp all year on my usual bait recipe, so why change? It's an accepted food source and they will pick it up if they find it in winter. 

Last winter, I continued to fish over large beds of boilies just as I did through late summer and autumn, as they just kept eating it. I'm sure that because the food source was available, even when the lake was half frozen, the carp were still active and cleaning up beds of bait. The energy source was there, so they were able to expend energy to feed. The amount of bait a carp can consume in a single sitting is linked directly to the dissolved oxygen levels in the water, like all animals, we need an increase of oxygenated blood to our digestive system when eating, a carp as we know, gets its O2 from the surrounding water, in winter, the lakes often have a much higher level of oxygen, dissolved into the water, often to the point of oxygen saturation, as opposed to summer, when the warmer temperature causes O2 to escape the water into the surrounding air. So winter carp can consume a reasonable amount of bait in the winter. Of course, being cold blooded will slow them up, but if they can find a constant food source, then provided they can replenish lost energy with a decent bait, they are more likely to remain active. I've seen it enough times, it gets cold, less anglers are out, less bait goes in, the carp can't find the energy source to sustain their current level of activity so they slow down to conserve what energy they do have, they move less, therefore using less energy, therefore don't need to feed as often. 

I have seen this technique work better on smaller waters where they are more likely to come across my baiting, then larger venues, but it's worth considering. 

On 24/10/2019 at 22:30, ouchthathurt said:

main line Polaris pop up mix

Imo that stuff is no good. The buoyancy is very poor in my experience.

On 24/10/2019 at 22:30, ouchthathurt said:

To be honest, as I use the same base mix and attractor/flavour/additives combination when rolling my own bait all year round, I tend to just stick with that, making up a one egg mix of my usual base mix, adding egg albumin and wrapping the paste around a cork ball.

Agree, in that situation (with baiting) a cork ball food-bait cannot be beaten.

I haven't been able to bait in winter this past couple of years so I have no problem using a decent off-the-shelf hi-viz hookbait. They are effective, no doubt.

1egg , 3ml Geoff Kemp's green zing. Once air dried or panned then squirt 1ml into zip seal bag. Scrunch up so inside of bag is coated in the flavour. Then add pop ups and shake vigorously.  

This is my go to single hookbait in the winter months. 

Done very well on 2ml  john bakers  strawberry and 6 drops nutrabaits bergamot oil in winter. 

Another is mainline juicy fruit at 2ml in 1egg. 

And finally premier baits tropical fruit flavour. Very good the colder it gets. 

The last 2 flavours are very thin liquids which is what's needed in winter. They leak out better in colder water. 

Some essential oils will need an emulsified. 

22 hours ago, yonny said:

Imo that stuff is no good. The buoyancy is very poor in my experience.

Agree, in that situation (with baiting) a cork ball food-bait cannot be beaten.

I haven't been able to bait in winter this past couple of years so I have no problem using a decent off-the-shelf hi-viz hookbait. They are effective, no doubt.

Must admit I don't have any problems with Mainline Polaris pop-up mix, but I don't often pierce my pop-ups I do normally tie them on. The alternative I have found is screwing them onto bait screws or threading Amnesia lighter tag melting the tag ends to seal them.

I have had more problems with corkball pop-ups (and I have made my own with finely sieved base mix), small fish and crays will take the bait off the corkball, leaving you with nothing on the hair.

It may also be I don't want overly buoyant pop-ups that lift up a hook, swivel and another swivel. I want mine pinned down on the hookshank and weight (olivettes or tungsten beads in shrink tube).

My pop-ups are buoyant enough to lift a size 4 B175 or Solar 101