Barbed Ronnie rig - losing fish

pablo7uk

12 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

To be fair on korda the new sharpened hooks are a bit good i was using the curve shank this year in a 4 on the ronnie sits real nice on the link and the shrink wrap sets it all in place nice and neat.

You mean the Krank?

They don't yet do the Kamakura (sharpened) version of the Kurv (curve shank) buddy.

27 minutes ago, yonny said:

You mean the Krank?

They don't yet do the Kamakura (sharpened) version of the Kurv (curve shank) buddy.

That's the ones, i wouldn't call them a one fish/cast hook like i have seen written about them, they are definitely sharpened to the max once dull there is no room for a tidy up.

30 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

i wouldn't call them a one fish/cast hook like i have seen written about them

I would, 100%.

They are only sharpened on one plane (opposite the barb), unlike the other sharpened options which are done on 2 or 3 planes. This gives them a very fine spade point which is super sharp but very fragile indeed. I got through a couple of packs in 2018 and every fish I had pretty much destroyed the hookpoints.

7 hours ago, yonny said:

No mate that's a chod hook.

I assume you mean the CVR which can be used for ronnies - but imo it's too aggressive, the gape will be closed to much when fished on a ronnie.

Don’t like it myself lol for the same reason

might as well just go whole hog and get a kamasan b.... and well you know lol

56 minutes ago, yonny said:

Those new ESP Trig-Hammers look the one for long shank ronnies mate.

Yeah I do like the look of those ones but haven't got any in stock and I have a good few bank longshanks 😁

They sharpen up quite nicely though and I've got faith in the pattern which helps, I've used them for wafters and snowman rigs and Multi rigs too and every fish I've hooked has been nailed so far, 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Yeah I do like the look of those ones but haven't got any in stock and I have a good few bank longshanks 😁

They sharpen up quite nicely though and I've got faith in the pattern which helps, I've used them for wafters and snowman rigs and Multi rigs too and every fish I've hooked has been nailed so far, 

But they are a long shank with a subtle curve lol

i bought a pack but not used them yet but they do stick in your finger if you want to try lol

Edited by framey

46 minutes ago, framey said:

But they are a long shank with a subtle curve lol

i bought a pack but not used them yet but they do stick in your finger if you want to try lol

The angle on the eye of the esp ones looks a little less extreme Than the bank tackle ones which I think will compensate for the curve and make them sit well on a ronnie rig, that being said I am quite happy with the presentation of the bank tackle one as its a straight shank, they will probably both sit about the same in the end 😁

For carp this size maybe do not think carp fishing, try a feeder rod with a cage feeder or lead to a 12 lb main line and 8lb bottom tied to a 14 hook with a knotless not and a hair tied to accept the hook bait next to the bend on the hook.

Maybe do not go too complicated, as long as the hook will free itself on a crack off you should be able to handle fish up to 20lb ish, and the smaller carp no problem..

ray.