Carbon throwing sticks

100 yards is a long way with a stick mate. Even the very best distance sticks will struggle past 120ish.

For distance the best are the ACA and the Daiwa - but they are pricey.

Gardner do a decent one called the Propella I think. Decent for distance. Avoid the Scorpion - it's a short range stick.

For value is has to be the Diem one - it's cheap as chips and half decent.

On 03/10/2019 at 20:31, muftyboy said:

I don't use a lot of korda gear but the easy stick is the best I've used.

Tried other more expensive ones that friends have had but the easy stick is better imo.

At shorter range and with no significant baiting levels a plastic stick is absolutely fine (although I found the Korda jobby goes brittle and snaps after a couple of years regularly exposed to the elements). At longer range and with heavier baiting levels a decent long carbon stick is immeasurably better than plastic imo. I bought the ACA carbon stick after spending a week in France baiting heavily at range with the Korda stick - it killed me - my arm/shoulder took a month to recover. Same venue/tactics with the ACA carbon stick the following year was a doddle. Like anything it's a case of right tools for the job. Carbon is defo better but only in the right situation imo.

I still use a Cobra stick myself, my Ace is many years old, well used and irreplaceable. If I ever killed it I would really struggle to find a direct replacement.

Look after your throwing stick, keep it clean, if you go carbon, keep it safe and protected.

Yonny mentions distance, it takes practice, perfectly round, very hard baits that don't split, and a bit more practise. I am good for around 100metres, and I do spend time practising on the reservoir.

I have tried a number of sticks, so here are my findings:

You will need to find a straight or curved stick that suits you, not all are the same. I struggle with excessive curves, but cannot use a totally straight stick.

I could not use a Korda Eazi-stick, they were awful. I needed two hands to use it to be able to come from a directly overhead motion, to keep the baits going straight.

I can use a big heavy stick, but I do start to notice it after a kilo or so. 3 kilos is my limit!

Since the demise of Cobra and being bought out by Nash Tackle you would think that Nash would make the best sticks, but sadly not, you will be looking at Fox Rangemaster, Cygnet Sniper in plastic, or for lightness, carbon for me it would be the Gardner Pro-pela.

The loading port is a fad, it adds weight, slows the stick down in the air.

Next point, cheap plastic, Cobra's were or are heavy, but it is decent quality plastic, it was built to last, not all sticks are now. Many while the shape is right, are of poor quality plastic that bends, cracks or even just gets marked and appears as a white line where the plastic has been damaged.

Carbon, brilliant, very light, but take very good care of it. It is an expensive item to break. That means keeping it in a good strong tube, not just a plastic case. 

5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Since the demise of Cobra and being bought out by Nash Tackle you would think that Nash would make the best sticks, but sadly not

You're dead right. The Nash Cobra is absolute rubbish. It goes brittle in sunlight very quickly and snaps just near the loading port. It happened to 2 of mine.

I've got the straight harrison stick and the diem stick. Harrison one is naff in my opinion (not sure if they do a curved one now?). As for the diem one, I found mine to have ridges internally which in my opinion lead to baits splitting.  If you want a carbon stick then my mate has the century one and swears by it. He fished a lake in france and was getting 20mm baits 140yds to an Island (it was still most of the time with occasional light winds aiding him). He also has I think a Frank Warwick stick  (ACA stick) which he also rates highly.  

12 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Roughly what range in wraps ? are the different types of throwing sticks useful to please ? I am going to be doing some extreme distance fishing soon possibly even over 18.5 wraps  😮😏😀:) and maybe I will need s stick for that ?

I can get 2/3 boilies at a time around 80metres in anything other than a headwind. A stick does have an advantage in that you can put in around 5 boilies in at a time rather than just one, so it can be faster than a catapult!

Straight or curved, you have to find what works best for you. I can use straight and slightly curved, but get some of the more severe curves and I am baiting the margins or my feet...