Beginner question - which hooklink material

Lorez

2 hours ago, Lorez said:

I've recently started carp fishing and been using bought rigs as it seems a minefield. Now want to tie some simple rigs like those I've bought but confused on what hooklink material I should buy as a general purpose rig base while I learn the ropes. Stiff, semi stiff, soft, coated, fluro or mono? 

Hello Lorez , which bought rig gave you most confidence / best hook holds ? .

Why not take that rig and then buy the components to tie that rig yourself , unless it looks particularly tricky / costly , and you would be better off just buying ready mades ? .

Personally I have never liked tying up rigs , I always seem to be putting it off ! .

😃

Thanks Commonly I'll take a look.

Framey I noticed it seemed to be variations and wanted to start there. Just confused by the choice of materials

Crusian I've used several and caught on the local pond with them. All from different makers. Mainly pva bag rigs, hair rigs, combi rig and multi rig . I'll check what line they are using

On 21/09/2019 at 11:18, Lorez said:

Thanks Commonly I'll take a look.

Framey I noticed it seemed to be variations and wanted to start there. Just confused by the choice of materials

Crusian I've used several and caught on the local pond with them. All from different makers. Mainly pva bag rigs, hair rigs, combi rig and multi rig . I'll check what line they are using

Try tying them with the line you have left over from spooling up your reels 

then just go and buy a semi stiff coated braid as you can strip this off and have a completely bare braid hooklink then or just strip little bits off 

no need for any more to start of with unless you want chods or stiffies then buy a stiff fluro

8 hours ago, framey said:

Try tying them with the line you have left over from spooling up your reels 

then just go and buy a semi stiff coated braid as you can strip this off and have a completely bare braid hooklink then or just strip little bits off 

no need for any more to start of with unless you want chods or stiffies then buy a stiff fluro

Now mainline is something else I probably should be considering as I've been using the reels I use for bass fishing

Hooklink materials, a massive choice which catch many anglers.

I have a few hooklink materials from mono, the same as my reel line and Amnesia, coated and plain braids.

I try to keep my rigs simple. More anglers are caught up in rig fashion than fish.

My usual starting point is 'old school'; a standard hook either knotless knotted or tied on, with a proper hair made from dental floss or hooklink braid. A line aligned hook, with shrink or silicon tube.

I can use this for bottom baits or snowmen baits, or even pop-ups.

Does it catch? Yes!

On 25 September 2019 at 19:18, Lorez said:

Thanks, I use amnesia for sea fishing and as a leader on braid for lure fishing so have some lying around. Not sure the colours will be as concealing as those needed for carp though

For years Terry Hearn used black Amnesia as his boom on stiff hinge links, because it lay well, even though fluorocarbon was available. 

I still use clear Amnesia in 15 and 20lb for mono hooklinks.

My braids and coated braids are from Kryston before they were sold by Dave Chilton. I bought plenty when I heard the sale was going through, so I have Merlin, Snakebite and Mantis in the 'original' colours (Merlin changed years ago from an olive green and white to a black white and green configuration). 

Don't convince yourself you need your hooklinks to be totally camouflaged, nylon hooklinks are as good as any on the lakebed, only the abrasion resistance is suspect.

The Mantis Gold I use is a charcoal grey almost black colour, and Snakebite is green.

• 1 month later...