Fishing an old, unfished lake

Teo

3 minutes ago, Dicky123 said:

But never been fished for right?  Boilies a complete waste of time right now when fish will/should take corn with gusto.

In your opinion , although I agree corn would be good I wouldn't dismiss boilies . As Yonny says hemp and boilie tactic is a good one.

I was simply pointing out that we know from the OP that carp are present .

1 hour ago, Dicky123 said:

But never been fished for right?  Boilies a complete waste of time right now when fish will/should take corn with gusto.

Disagree, I fished a 16 acre pit that had only been fished once before in the past. We used boilie only and caught from the very first trip. 

Yonny is right, it's best to wean them on to boilies using a smaller particle like hemp or corn or any other particle. The baiting pyramid is a fundamental of any sustained baiting campaign ending in a boilie only approach.

Greekskill.

Your talking about simple pre-baiting on a long term basis. I was around when Mike wrote the article 1981, later followed up by Hutchy. However Mike was not referring to boilies specifically , but the practice of pre-baiting in general. You have added the end piece about boilies just to suit your argument, thats ok, but not everyone reading this understand that? I have not spoken to the thread starter, so don't know if he can get down the new lake often. Maybe you have? I remember the article very well at the time in one of the then, fishing magazines. or might have been the Carp Society mag? It was very topical and open to debate, some thought it revolutionary and some rubbish. At the time if I remember Mike was fishing Savey in the 80s, no boilies around much at that time buddy. Fred came up with the concept of them in the 90s if I recall.  Mike also fished for big tench and barbel, and was an all round angler. It was these fish that sparked his article, not necessarily carp even though they would be top of the food chain in many waters now-days. It's also noticeable that many of the very big carp taken over the years have been taken on other baits apart from Boilies. Two Tone on bread for example? I could go on, but I do disagree about bolilies in this instant, and I feel tench and bream can take them just a well as corn? I too this Bream yesterday at 12lb 8oz while after carp, size 4s hook double 15m float fished margins? It's my biggest float fished bream, so I could not not weigh it could I. Let's agree to disagree in this instance, just wish I had the thread starters options, don't you?

fullsizeoutput_b0.jpeg

We will have to wait for Greekskii to answer but I read his reply as fact  , to quote him - 'Disagree, I fished a 16 acre pit that had only been fished once before in the past. We used boilie only and caught from the very first trip.'

So it does not  really matter who wrote what Greekskii is saying what has actually worked for him .

Yeah it’s fact we fished boilie on an unfished pit and caught within hours. Can’t deny that. 

I think the who wrote what is about the baiting pyramid theory, which is about general baiting principles and not boilies as the top bait however in this day and age boilies are certainly the top level in a baiting pyramid. 

Yes tench and bream will take boilie. But you can use 28mm+ boilies to avoid them if you really wanted to. A boilie only approach will sort out the larger bream and tench from the smaller ones too and slow the onslaught. I’ve lived it. Fishing any size boilie over beds of particle and if you don’t hook bream and tench they destroy your presentation. Boilie only and it doesn’t happen. Been there and done it on a park lake where I made the mistake and when I changed spots dropped the particle and stopped them turning up for the most part. It all depends on situation but I think if you have a heavy stock of bream and tench then using corn will mean you won’t keep a bait in the water long enough to get amongst the carp. 

Not saying particle won’t work, just saying boilies will sort out the bigger fish in general. 12lb bream is a good fish and doubt many would be disappointed with it as an accidental catch. 

9 hours ago, Dicky123 said:

Teo.

I've taken a bit more time to think about you situation, and think I may have a decent plan. I would not use boilies or hemp rich now. Boilies can be left uneaten and spoil the bottom, especially if the carp have not seen them before. They are expensive too if the carp don't eat them. Hemp is like Marmite on some waters. On some venues it works really well, but on others they ignore it completely. I find on very rich waters it work less well until they really get on it. This is the plan I would adopt.

Sweetcorn and pellet. Corn, because all fish eat it on sight, at first I think because of the size and visibility, they seem to get hooked very quickly and you can use it directly on the hook if you want?  Carp Pellet is amazing, I'd use 4mm to 6mm cheap too. The pellet will break down in a few hours, but leave a fine dust trail that when fish move over, rises up and simulates a feeding response, ask any match man. Also if there are no carp at all ( I prey there is for you ) the wildlife will eat the margin corn in the end. Corn is so good for stalking and watching fish eat. Try this plan and may you have success buddy. Initially stay away from boilies until you know carp are present and feeding.

Thanks mate, i will definitely try this. Sounds good and affordable ;)

6 minutes ago, Teo said:

No mate, this is part of a club water but this lake is neglected and never used. 

Club rules dont allow me to say where tho, sorry.

Sorry Teo , thread got side tracked when swlakes trust was mentioned seems to be two threads in one . 

Did you have any joy the other day or any sightings ?

11 hours ago, oscsha said:

Sorry Teo , thread got side tracked when swlakes trust was mentioned seems to be two threads in one . 

Did you have any joy the other day or any sightings ?

Haven't been yet :(, hopefully looking to start prebaiting thursday tho.

Thanks

I think from the start carp will investigate anything that may be food, this includes picking up boilies on their first introduction, however my first choice is mixing them in with other particles. 

The problems of particles have been posted, tench, bream and roach just love sweetcorn, and the introduction of particles can have pike sat next to the bed of them waiting for their munchies, which can put all fish off, including carp. I've seen it first hand myself and I know Frank Warwick has written about it.

I have fished enough unfished lakes in my time, originally I used naturals [1970s,] then particles including corn[1980s-1990s] now I go all out big 22mm sturgeon pellet and or boilies. I genuinely believe I have wasted a lot of time chasing carp with so so baits, when I should have been using great baits.

• 1 year later...