Which hook ?

4 minutes ago, commonly said:

Good stuff smufter! 

Interesting to hear. The only response I got a while ago on these said the same about size. 

So little to no mouth damage? 

Shame you lost two, what makes you feel it wasn't the hook mate? 

Because one took me into the pads. Steve (the Bailiff) boated out to help release it, but it was well in there.

Second one the hooklink snapped at the knot. But the hook hold up until then was fine.

Absolutely no mouth damage mate. Not a mark

Edited by smufter

5 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

20190628_055455.thumb.jpg.dffc6bd2e2757cc354ac67ee26e7b33c.jpgjust reeled in and this is the state of the hook.

The only thing other than silt on the bottom is leaves and twigs plus I'm fishing the same spots I always fish and I never had this on the cryogen hooks.

blooming hell!!!

37 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

20190628_055455.thumb.jpg.dffc6bd2e2757cc354ac67ee26e7b33c.jpgjust reeled in and this is the state of the hook.

The only thing other than silt on the bottom is leaves and twigs plus I'm fishing the same spots I always fish and I never had this on the cryogen hooks.

What hook was that?? 

As yonny made mention to, is that likely to of happened on retrieval banging against the lead? 

So any sign of mouth damage with the pallatrax jh?

Do you like the hook hold you had? 

23 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

Like I said I've never had it happen on any other hook but 3 out of the 5 nash hooks bent and not just a bit.

Mouth damage was minimal, the hook came out in the net.

So did mine!

You can't get easier (or less painful) than that

😉

Edited by smufter

26 minutes ago, smufter said:

So did mine!

You can't get easier (or less painful) than that

😉

That's a concern with barbless though, this can cause damage to the fish externally in the net! 

52 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

Like I said I've never had it happen on any other hook but 3 out of the 5 nash hooks bent and not just a bit.

Dodgy batch maybe?

I've mainly only used Korda, other than the Kamakura range, never had that type of issue 

1 hour ago, commonly said:

That's a concern with barbless though, this can cause damage to the fish externally in the net!

And on the fight.

If the hook comes out mid battle it pulls across the fish and cuts into the flank.

It's why barbless are banned on some waters and why I only use them in select situations.

2 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

why I only use them in select situations.

So on balance you'd use micro barbed. Fish safety first imo. The palatrax appealed to me in this regard,when I read about it 

I'm (if I ever can get fishing) trying to focus on zigs (contentious in certain circles, re. above) , so would worry that a barbless hook is more likely to be ejected and cause damage before I'm even aware of any bite indication. 

I'm not on a barbless rule venue btw

I'd only use barbless in a snaggy swim where I'm more at risk of losing a baited rig or a fish snaps me in some snags.

And when I fishing over silkweed as it tends to get caught up on barbed hooks more.

I'd never use zigs in the above situations so barbless hooks aren't necessary 

8 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

That looks like a 'pulled out' bend on the point rather than a bang against the lead bend. Do you have swan mussels in the lake?

It may be quite a large branch you caught up on though.

I have brands of hooks I trust, Gardner Muggas, Gamakatsu, Solar 101's and Kamasan B175's. Unless I have tested the hooks to destruction I will not use it in a fishing situation, and even then, I tend to test them on a 'small fish' water before using them for big carp. I want to know at what point it will bend or break.

I check the point each cast and as said, it doesn't take much to 'ding' a point on gravel or a snag, even a crayfish can blunt the point if you manage to stick the hook in claw or shell, but those ones I mentioned really do hold their own better than others.

4 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

fishing over silkweed as it tends to get caught up on barbed hooks more.

I watched an underwater nash video on zigs at Thorpe lea. What I've always called silkweed turns out to be an algae, which actually moves about alot, they reckon that bottom baits or baits within a few inches of the bottom would get covered over in a very short space of time. Hence not a great chance of getting into the fish, thus I'm convinced it's the way forward for me. 

12 hours ago, smufter said:

Well these Pallatrax Gripz seem to be fine, and I have no qualms whatsoever about using them in France.

Seriously, (and I do mean seriously), sharp straight out of the packet and they stay sharp.

I've used them on my last 3 sessions, have lost two fish but that was definitely not down to the hooks, and landed one. Felt very confident playing all three, and on the one that was landed the hook came out very easily when the fish was in the net. 

Using the size 4's and they are not as big as some other size 4's I've tried. Highly recommended. 

I've recently done a week at Windmill Lakes, Cosse en Champagne, France. I caught 251lbs of carp. ALL on Pallatrax Gripz in size 4. I'd be glad to commend these hooks anyone interested.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...