New Harrings Bio-Weights

malcfish

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, yonny said:

As in same price as lead suppliers online (50-60p each) or same price as Korda leads in the tackle shop (£1.50-£2.00 each)??

Big difference.

the website is up and running, £7.75 for a 5 pack of 2oz leads. That's £1.55 each... not the same price as 55p each I get my leads for.

1 hour ago, oscsha said:

If i run a fishery I would want to know what they are actually made given the fact they are going to break down , I would still like to know what fisheries are banning leads .

An EU ruling is being planned or being discussed to ban lead weights, along with Simon Pomeroy (?), the boss of Pallatrax and Stonze making his views known in this country

As much as I agree with some of what he has said regarding dropping lead weights, it has not helped that he was trying to give his own company an advantage, and Stonze can cast like a bag of spanners. Yes, you can cast them long distances, but you really need high test curve rods to cope with the overlarge size and non aerodynamic shape. @chillfactor and I have discussed this in the past, turning it into a joke with videos of toaster and sandwich maker casting.

It has not been helped  that manufacturers advocated dropping leads on the take; one certain tackle brand lake owner has or had rules in place that every lead must be dropped!

There are alternatives in place, tungsten 'leads', but the cost of turning and shaping tungsten to make weights of identical sizes is prohibitive. I think there are very few tungsten weights around of more than 1ounce, almost every lead above 1.1ounce is made from lead.

6 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

An EU ruling is being planned or being discussed to ban lead weights

That's not accurate Nick, the EU regulations (RoSH and REACH) restrict the use of lead and it's compounds in the manufacture of commercial products. There's one geared towards the automotive industry too. None of them ban lead, they restrict it's use (i.e. you can use it with customer approval, or under certain exemptions). I work in manufacturing so am familiar with all this guff. It'll be ages before lead is banned imo.

Pomeroy has a vested interest for obvious reasons, and is a very headstrong character, not everyone's cuppa tea. He makes a lot of money from drilling out stones. The product is ok and has a place in fishing. The inline ones make the best method feeders of all time, if you haven't tried it do so, somehow groundbait grips them really well. But they are just not shaped right and aerodynamic enough to really catch on as pendant or heli leads.

Those crystal leads are more interesting in my opinion as the shapes are perfect, but they are hard to pin down

It can't be too hard for Pomeroy to maybe shape stones of a softer nature perhaps, or somebody to come up with a dissolvable resin lead which has a neat shape.. people are missing a trick, the market will demand streamlined, LEAD SHAPED leads and until somebody comes up with it they will get no interest

I think fisheries themselves will ban leads far quicker than the Govt. will, it may e sooner than we think and I will be happy enough to use my collection of Stonze

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

Pomeroy has a vested interest for obvious reasons, and is a very headstrong character, not everyone's cuppa tea. He makes a lot of money from drilling out stones. The product is ok and has a place in fishing. The inline ones make the best method feeders of all time, if you haven't tried it do so, somehow groundbait grips them really well. But they are just not shaped right and aerodynamic enough to really catch on as pendant or heli leads.

Those crystal leads are more interesting in my opinion as the shapes are perfect, but they are hard to pin down

It can't be too hard for Pomeroy to maybe shape stones of a softer nature perhaps, or somebody to come up with a dissolvable resin lead which has a neat shape.. people are missing a trick, the market will demand streamlined, LEAD SHAPED leads and until somebody comes up with it they will get no interest

I think fisheries themselves will ban leads far quicker than the Govt. will, it may e sooner than we think and I will be happy enough to use my collection of Stonze

I tried using a Stonze on a small lake on a heli set-up, even over 30-40metres it swung in the air, you could see the direction changes. My larger 3 1/2- 4 1/2 oz Stonze have not even been used.

Mike Wilson originally used Glass weights on Savay, he was concerned with the possibility of different metals, the swivel, the lead and hook creating an electrical field that repelled carp. I know he had great difficulties coming up with a glass that did not shatter on impact.

I used to get 'rank' multifinish plaster and make weights out of it, always round ones with swivels as I had to work quickly to mould them by hand, but there must be a better way, a better material. I've used plasticine for small ledger weights for carp and chub in snaggy swims, normally rolled around the swivel mainline hooklink join.