Is it too early for a bit of bait ?

elmoputney

It's quite a well stocked pressured water btw fenland fisheries vermuyden lake 

200 fish 4 acre lake 

I mean this does also depend on location there are spots where this may be really silly, but it depends what swims are available when Friday comes so it's something to consider and this may mean the bait is working for me while I get an hour's or twos  sleep, 

Edited by elmoputney

Depends on area but 4ft to 11ft there have been some fish holed up in snags which I will check on a walk first but they have been caught from all over though and a few in the shallower area as it warms up from the sun quicker I think, and they do seem to be moving about though as they have been angled for all winter, 

This is a map of the lake I've seen fish caught from the drove road side , the snags and also the shallow cut, so that may suggest they aren't feeding in the deep part as much and that has been fished a lot when I've been there, but not sure when I haven't been there 

I think I would only go for it in the main part of the lake drove road side the rest would be better with some carefully placed traps, we shall see I guess it's never a good idea to plan an attack too much before you get there ,you never know where will be available 

Screenshot_20190306-171131.jpg

5 hours ago, elmoputney said:

brave

Only the brave prosper!! 

That said go with your gut & the conditions you have when you get there. 

The Syndi I've been on for a while I've favoured one spot. I will though go in a different swim if I see fish or the wind's blowing in a different direction & think I'm more likely to be successful. 

Just enjoy, I like to try and learn something new about the water even though I tend to blank!! It is a famously hard water. Trying a different venue this year so hopefully gut feelings will pay off

I feel the same I think each time I go I am getting closer to one, I've changed bait this time though, and my gut feel is they will be happier with this one and actually I feel a little more confident in it, we shall see I guess :) I think it's good to be brave sometimes though, and the weather looks set to improve Friday (not by much though ) so hopefully that will help 

I’d start with just bags or sticks tbh and a zig on one rod,fish for a bite at a time. The old saying you can’t take it out once  it’s  in springs to mind 😉

Maybe flicking a few freebies out if you see sign of fish. Good luck. 😎🎣

For some reason I am yet to be converted to zigs, I can see the idea and get why it works but it just seems a bit weird to me, maybe one day I shall try them but sticks may be a good idea as a starting point I have some basemix left that could be added to the mix and a glug for some lovely clouding, but I just wonder if I could get the bait working for me from the start and hopefully draw them in and trick them into having a munch, but I do agree fishing for more than one could be a bad idea, 

my pellets are fast breakdown types though so would be more for attraction than feeding them, maybe that and some crumb and small bits of boilie could get them going for a bit, 

I will just have to wait and see if I can find some fish and hope the area is free if not then I may try ringing the dinner bell 

im currently doing over nighters and i always start with 8 spods and fish solid bags. 10 spods isnt much bait at all, Fish one rod over bait and roam with the other. If you catch on the baited spot, Then put another copy of spods over the top, You you get another bite...Get that second rod on the same spot! I give it 3 spods after every bite, Regardless of time.

Thanks ginger It certainly seems to work for you, 👍

I will decide in the morning how best to approach It but I've just just added some of the basemix to the pellets to give them a lovely coating of floaty goodness which will hopefully draw them in from far and wide to investigate, one more night shift I can't wait till the morning :)

On 06/03/2019 at 22:41, elmoputney said:

For some reason I am yet to be converted to zigs, I can see the idea and get why it works but it just seems a bit weird to me, maybe one day I shall try them but sticks may be a good idea as a starting point

You need to bear in mind that cold water is denser than warmer water so the coldest water is on the deck. Therefore carp, being cold blooded, will only drop to the deck for one reason at this time of year and that is to feed. However, since we're approaching the end of winter, their metabolism is as slow as it gets, and they need less food, hence bite times on the deck can be very, very short (less than an hour a day). For the remaining 23 hours, zigs give you a genuine chance of a bite. It's the main reason most angers blank all winter - their hookbaits, being on the deck, are nowhere near the carp. Zigs should not be ignored, particularly in winter.

Of course the info above is a generalisation. This winter has been the warmest in years and some waters are kicking off, even over bait.

18 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Thanks ginger It certainly seems to work for you, 👍

I will decide in the morning how best to approach It but I've just just added some of the basemix to the pellets to give them a lovely coating of floaty goodness which will hopefully draw them in from far and wide to investigate, one more night shift I can't wait till the morning :)

Yeah working at the moment and im pretty in touch with people there so i know theres fish coming out, and i have done all winter so that helps. Decide on the day is the best plan.

9 minutes ago, yonny said:

You need to bear in mind that cold water is denser than warmer water so the coldest water is on the deck. Therefore carp, being cold blooded, will only drop to the deck for one reason at this time of year and that is to feed. However, since we're approaching the end of winter, their metabolism is as slow as it gets, and they need less food, hence bite times on the deck can be very, very short (less than an hour a day). For the remaining 23 hours, zigs give you a genuine chance of a bite. It's the main reason most angers blank all winter - their hookbaits, being on the deck, are nowhere near the carp. Zigs should not be ignored, particularly in winter.

Of course the info above is a generalisation. This winter has been the warmest in years and some waters are kicking off, even over bait.

I wonder if their metabolism is also influanced by the amount of naturals and the amound of fish in a lake also. i have had repeat captures through winter, 3 or 4 of them usually during the night over a 5 or 6 hour period (that in the last fortnight has begun and finished a few hours earlier). this lakes been a bit of a freak anyway but i do wonder....

Well that didn't go to plan really shot myself in the foot before I had begun, had a right brain fart and picked totally the wrong swim , I had a sort of area in mind  before I went, then just walked straight past it to look in the snags, didn't see anything kept going and thought it looked carpy around the cut and as it was sunny would probably warm up quicker was really only full of ducks and it turned cold, i spodded a bit near the reeds on a gravel spot , ducks went nuts for it, had a chat with the only other guy on he'd had a 30 the night before and over bait, I can put it down to tiredness having done a night shift but if I had stuck to the plan I would have given myself a chance at least , I think the motto has to be if you cant find em fish where there Is plenty of water to aim at,

Made some lovely spod clouds though that's something to work on :)