The right size boat to get?

essexcarper1982

Are you looking on the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation and sections of the Chelmer?

Ok, I know the largest boat size allowed on the navigation is  60 ft 0 in (18.29 m). 

Look for something like a Pilot 4 if you can leave it moored down there, or have easy launching. You can fit a cuddy so its comfortable enough to sleep on for a night or two.

If you are having to launch every trip on your own, then I wouldn't be thinking on any more than a Rigiflex 390 and removable outboard.

As an add, it is very difficult to use buzzers from the back of a boat. I have done enough pike fishing to know using a float gives better indication.

I'd look into the running costs before you buy, there are a lot of extras to keep a boat on the waterways, you can either pay for a mooring place which ain't cheap and is priced on boat size, or you can be continuously cruising which means moving the boat every two weeks, then there is the boat version of a tax disk needed for all motor boats, that is also pricey. then there is the newish laws for petrol engines and on-board gas cookers water heaters, few years back petrol engine boats were going fairly cheap due to the regulations.

you also need a safety certificate which is similar to a MOT and has to be renewed every three years.

You also need at least third party fire and theft insurance, 

My dad had a canal boat back in the 1990s and it was pricey back then hate to think what they charge these days just for a pile of paper work.

If you can get something that is classed as a day boat and pull it on a trailer the costs might not be so high, boats are well worth the money though so long as you know what you need to pay for before buying a boat, lot of sharks out there in the boat trading world, do the homework.