Mortimer and Whitehouse Go Fishing

salokcinnodrog

I must admit I found the first episode or two painful to watch; Bob Mortimer was trying to hard to be funny, and I found it annoying. However as the series went on I started enjoying it.

A second series has now been confirmed:

I loved it, Bob was irritating in some scenes but, lovable in others. I have met Paul Whitehouse years ago, when a fishing documentary was being filmed. I was expecting him to be clowning around etc but, all he wanted to talk about was fishing, very funny when the mood takes him though.

Generally I thought it was very good, much better than Hamidi and co.

8 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

I don't know what it was supposed to be

because it wasn't a fishing show and it wasn't funny (which is what I expected about a show were 2 comedians go fishing)

Apparently, as they’ve been friends a while, and both had heart issues, Bob’s ordeal affected him quite badly mentally, so Paul being a friend, was concerned. So he got Bob out of the house encouraging him to do things including fishing. As Paul is very passionate about fishing, I’d imagine he spent a lot of time trying to teach Bob, and also cheer things up, and as the fishing seemed to have done the trick, the idea of a series was hatched.

It does have certain Mr Crabtree elements about it, Paul being Mr Crabtree, and Bob like a learning Peter, albeit not quite as enthusiastic! Lol!

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good but, each to their iwn.

I only saw a bit of the first episode and switched it off, perhaps I should of given it more of a chance. I'll see if I can get through a whole episode of the second series. Your comments were interesting @The Compleat Angler, glad to hear that the therapy of fishing has helped poor old Bob out...… I always find it a pleasant distraction from any woes and I'm sure a lot of others do to......🙂

If you watch it in the hope of learning anything about fishing, you are going to be disappointed. 

If you watch it for what it is, two mates sharing a pastime and talking rollocks, then you'll enjoy it. Especially if you are a fan of Paul & Bob.

I personally enjoy it, so does the wife. It's light entertainment. It lets her see a side of fishing that she doesn't normally see........... the camaraderie between two mates.

Glad to hear that there's going to be a second series. I'd love them to go to France for a weeks carping, and be filmed. Now that would be fun!!

It's a "Yes" from us.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

It's not about fishing.

It's not a comedy (although they're funny guys).

It's about 2 fellas that were staring death in the face coming to terms with their ordeal by sharing their experiences over a past-time therapeutic enough to literally drag one of them feet first from the depths of depression.

If you were expecting rig talk and casting lessons you've really, really missed the point.

did I watch the same thing because every1 ive spoken to said it was garbage

no matter what it was supposed to be

all I saw was 2 washed up comedians trying a desperate grasp at fame and falling on their arses

the friendship seemed forced, the laughs seem forced, and I know it was about teaching bob how to chill out and comparing chest scars but I could think of a few things better for relaxing than going fishing with some1 who doesn't seem to know much about fishing

19 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

did I watch the same thing because every1 ive spoken to said it was garbage

no matter what it was supposed to be

all I saw was 2 washed up comedians trying a desperate grasp at fame and falling on their arses

the friendship seemed forced, the laughs seem forced, and I know it was about teaching bob how to chill out and comparing chest scars but I could think of a few things better for relaxing than going fishing with some1 who doesn't seem to know much about fishing

To be honest that was my view on the first two programmes, however it did grow on me😉

I watched it and throughly enjoyed it. 

You've just got to take it for what it is light hearted entertainment and don't take it seriously. 

There's plenty of serious fishing to be had on YouTube if that's what you want, it just makes a nice change to see someone not taking life to seriously and enjoying them selves. 

Just chill out and give it a chance. 😀

2 hours ago, honestveek said:

I really enjoyed it. I don’t really care for the educational type fishing programme anymore so this being true escapism was right up my street.

The guy I do my fishing with is exactly the opposite and was affronted that Bob is useless at fishing and didn’t like their banter. 

I think my fishing buddy is dead inside.

brilliant intro to the forum HV :lol: