Fox Exocet or Gardner GT-HD

19 hours ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

Hi Guys,

So i'm changing the main line on my reels and just wondering everyone's thoughts on the two above. 

I have been using Korda ~Subline but looking for a change. 

As an alternative, take a look at the new "Asso" sinking mainline.

I'm using it at the moment and am very impressed with it.

I'm on the 16lb version as I prefer 0.35mm diameter and it's doing everything right so far. Knots well, casts well, sinks well, (obviously!), and hangs nice and limply through the rings.

http://www.assouk.co.uk/Asso-products-Sinking-Mainline-Carp-Mainline-fishing-line.shtml

I use two lines now, P-line floroclear, and Gardner Pro blend in light or dark to match the lake water colour. I know I can rely on either of them.

For years I used Daiwa Sensor in brown, and again, I would know I could rely on it.

The Gardner and Daiwa are budget priced lines that outperform most more expensive lines.

3 hours ago, smufter said:

As an alternative, take a look at the new "Asso" sinking mainline.

I'm using it at the moment and am very impressed with it.

I'm on the 16lb version as I prefer 0.35mm diameter and it's doing everything right so far. Knots well, casts well, sinks well, (obviously!), and hangs nice and limply through the rings.

http://www.assouk.co.uk/Asso-products-Sinking-Mainline-Carp-Mainline-fishing-line.shtml

I'll definitely check this out mate before i make an final decision. 

But looks like the gardner HD is getting the most votes. The main decision maker will be when i see them in the shops and can see the actual line.

19 hours ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

But looks like the gardner HD is getting the most votes. The main decision maker will be when i see them in the shops and can see the actual line.

To be honest, "looking" at a line is going to tell you diddly squat. It's not until you've whanged a rig out a few times, had a few screaming runs, and got caught up in a few snags/trees that the strengths and weaknesses of a line make themselves known.
Going by the "looks" and "promises" we'd all be using Wychwood DPF. Most of those that have spooled up with it and used it for any length of time will tell you it's total and utter gash (including myself lol!).

"Recommendation" is one of the main things I look for in a line.

23 hours ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

To be honest, "looking" at a line is going to tell you diddly squat. It's not until you've whanged a rig out a few times, had a few screaming runs, and got caught up in a few snags/trees that the strengths and weaknesses of a line make themselves known.
Going by the "looks" and "promises" we'd all be using Wychwood DPF. Most of those that have spooled up with it and used it for any length of time will tell you it's total and utter gash (including myself lol!).

Recommendations are very important, I have bought a few lines on manufacturers bumpf, some on looks and a few on recommendations. 

While recommendations or reviews are very important, and the most honest review is usually that on the internet forum, I would say, that because we fish differently, some things just don't work for every angler.

Lines I have bought on manufacturers review include Nash Bullet (original), Berkley Big Game, Ultima, and Daiwa Sensor, actually Simon Wheeler, the reps advice.

The first three, I would give back to the manufacturer and tell them to try again, they were that bad.😖💩

Daiwa Sensor, I would happily use again at any time.👍

Gardner Pro Blend, I was asked by Richard Gardner to give a test on a spool he sent me, basically test to destruction, tell him the results, and write an honest review on it. I did (somewhere on here is the review) with knot strengths, breaking strain, diameter tests, abrasion test, the works. I still use that line happily.

P-line Floroclear, I saw (or didn't) on a stand at 5lakes, being demonstrated in a tank of water. In water the line was not visible; I could see the hook, and bait, the swivel but not the line. It got put on the rods in a successful attempt to get me away from using leadcore*

* (See various arguments on it, me now against its use)

I don't agree with that fella, the basic test i always do is feel the quality, if it marks easily ect. It doesn't tell you much but it can tell you enough to say its a maybe or a no at least, having used super cheap line in the past and other lines considered top brand, you can tell a difference by having them side by side. 

I do agree that recommendation is hugely important. 

47 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Recommendations are very important, I have bought a few lines on manufacturers bumpf, some on looks and a few on recommendations. 

While recommendations or reviews are very important, and the most honest review is usually that on the internet forum, I would say, that because we fish differently, some things just don't work for every angler.

Lines I have bought on manufacturers review include Nash Bullet (original), Berkley Big Game, Ultima, and Daiwa Sensor, actually Simon Wheeler, the reps advice.

The first three, I would give back to the manufacturer and tell them to try again, they were that bad.😖💩

Daiwa Sensor, I would happily use again at any time.👍

Gardner Pro Blend, I was asked by Richard Gardner to give a test on a spool he sent me, basically test to destruction, tell him the results, and write an honest review on it. I did (somewhere on here is the review) with knot strengths, breaking strain, diameter tests, abrasion test, the works. I still use that line happily.

P-line Floroclear, I saw (or didn't) on a stand at 5lakes, being demonstrated in a tank of water. In water the line was not visible; I could see the hook, and bait, the swivel but not the line. It got put on the rods in a successful attempt to get me away from using leadcore*

* (See various arguments on it, me now against its use)

If i gave the impression that i wasn't taking the recommendations on board then that certainly isn't the case. I am interested to see what everyone else uses. 

i went in to the tackle shop yesterday to buy the new line and funnily enough i went with a completely different option, ESP Syncro Loaded EX in 15lb in the end. As he didn't have the GTHD stuff in stock but the owner recommended the ESP stuff and as i know the owner is a die hard Gardner fan and he has made the switch, i took his advice that he finds it has much better sinking properties. 

As Smufter said, i'll find out for myself once i've used it a few times.

3 hours ago, B.C. said:

I mentioned on another post that I'd had a few problems with the GTHD..... Found it crinkles easily, on two batches I've had...

Did you send it back with any success?? 

Need some 18lb for my upcoming fishing and don’t want to waste my money. Be a shame if something has changed in production which has ruined a good line! 

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

Did you send it back with any success?? 

Need some 18lb for my upcoming fishing and don’t want to waste my money. Be a shame if something has changed in production which has ruined a good line! 

Didn't send it back as I'd already spooled 3 reels up with it, it could have been a bad batch, but it happened twice..... Might be worth going in person to the tackle shop and just rubbing a length against the counter edge or something, just to check it...… I had these probs recently, even with tench taking me into a few weed stems...…. I'd try and check it first mate..