A good first bivvy?

Have a look at an Oval brolly.

Most come complete with stormsides already fitted, and you can get an overwrap to convert it into a full brolly. I have the TFG version, and overwrap. The only downside is the brolly only comes with a 'half' groundsheet, but I had a groundsheet from another bivvy for when I fit the overwrap.

An alternative is the TFG Hardcore Brolly, which is the top picture. The plain oval is underneath. I have set the brolly up just to keep my gear dry, so its not particularly tidy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, TheKingTench said:

I was thinking of the Fox Royale, or pop up camo day shelter. 

The Fox Pop Up shelter is pretty good... I've seen them used and they offer more space than you'd think. Perfect for day sessions or overnighters in decent weather.... Wouldn't trust them too much in strong winds, but that is just by looking at them...... Incredibly light weight. A few lads that do work overnighters use them on the lake I was fishing, and they've all had good comments. If you are doing day sessions with a chair and not a bed chair, there is plenty of room for kit inside them...... Phil Dalts has got one. He may be able to give you some more info if he's about, if not, I doubt he'd mind a PM about it.

1 hour ago, Dannygooner said:

im looking at the aqua atom. Looks a good bit of kit for being light and mobile. Also the esp lo pro is a candidate though there is no wrap or panels you can buy

There is a low pro mk2 with an infill panel I believe.... Not sure by how much this effects the overall weight though bud.

1 hour ago, Dannygooner said:

im looking at the aqua atom. Looks a good bit of kit for being light and mobile. Also the esp lo pro is a candidate though there is no wrap or panels you can buy

Not quite the same as the Lowpro, and tbh, imo, defeats the object of a super lightweight shelter... I suppose ditching the ground sheet would lose a couple of kg.... Lets face it Dan, to be mobile on that water you intend having a go at, you'll probably have to rough it a bit mate.

6 hours ago, TheKingTench said:

Looking to get my first bivvy, so looking for recommendations. Cant do night sessions at the moment due to work; though would like it for 360 degree shelter and privacy. Would also like to be able to lie down instead of just sitting all day! Any recommendations? 

Most of my sessions are either days, or 24 hours so I tend to use a brolly.

Off to France in July with my daughter, so was looking for something a little more "substantial" for a week under canvas so my wife bought me a Quest 2 man bivvy. It's my 1st "proper" bivvy, and only cost £149.00 brand new, (didn't think it was worth spending any more on something that was only going to get so little use). Gets very good reviews, and doesn't look too bad at all. 

I could have got another make in a one man version, but fancied the idea of the two man as I don't like having everything cluttered up around me.  For £149.00 I think it offers terrific value.

Quest 2 man bivvy 2.jpg

Quest 2 man bivvy.jpg

Edited by smufter

9 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

the esp lo pro is a candidate though there is no wrap or panels you can buy

7 hours ago, B.C. said:

There is a low pro mk2 with an infill panel I believe.... Not sure by how much this effects the overall weight though bud.

It's called the ESP Hideout. Looks great, lightest system on the market:

http://www.esp-carpgear.com/viewProduct.php?id=338

10 hours ago, TheKingTench said:

I was thinking of the Fox Royale, or pop up camo day shelter. 

The Royale is not a bad piece of kit, as has been said the Pop up personally I think is a bit lightweight for any length session, although I do like how small it packs up.

My reason for a brolly on day sessions is if I see fish move somewhere else, or fancy a move, its easy to fold down, sling in the rod sling and move. I do also use my brolly for roach and pike fishing, so I do move around a bit. I found a full shelter means I don't necessarily want the aggro of moving, which may cost me fish.

2 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The Royale is not a bad piece of kit, as has been said the Pop up personally I think is a bit lightweight for any length session, although I do like how small it packs up.

My reason for a brolly on day sessions is if I see fish move somewhere else, or fancy a move, its easy to fold down, sling in the rod sling and move. I do also use my brolly for roach and pike fishing, so I do move around a bit. I found a full shelter means I don't necessarily want the aggro of moving, which may cost me fish.

I understand it would be a right pain to move if you spotted fish elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, TheKingTench said:

I do have a brolly, so a pop up day shelter might just be a false economy. I think a 1 man bivvy would do the trick, but I dont want something that would take an age to set up. 

Doubt you'll find a bivvy that is as quick and easy to set up as a brolly or brolly system. Something like the Titan Hide which Nige posted above, or Trakker Tempest Brolly would bridge the gap. And as Nige said, you can buy the extras to create a full blown winter bivvy....... Some of the lightweight shelters are made from very thin materials and the sunlight can penetrate, which can cook you up a bit in the hottest weather if theres no shade in your swim............

Out of interest Nige, have you used your Titan Hide in rainy weather. If so, what's the run off like in the front area, I assume there is some kind of gutter? The design looks as though any water would drip in the doorway. Does it just run down the sides?

just got a avid basecamper for £168 from angling direct and am well pleased with my first look at it

not quite a 2man but bigger than a 1man and fits my wideboy bedchair loads better than my old armo v3 (worst bivvy ive ever had)

not sure if it a good first bivvy unless your over 6 foot like me

best bivvy ive ever had is a tfg brolly that I got for about £100 and ive had for years, not the comfiest but spot on for a day sesh or quick overnighter  

20 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

Or, at 4.6kg, pretty much the same as the low pro, you could get the Titan hide. All the advantages of a brolly, with the added strength and other benefits of a bivvy system. Things like the zip on full fronts and Winter wraps. 

D'you know what Nige, when they announced this I couldn't see any benefit over the Tempest Brolly. I honestly though it was doomed to failure. BUT..... the Tempest Brolly V2 has now been announced with an increase in weight to 5 kg meaning, for me, the Hide is now the better option. It'll be a tricky decision for those looking at the two. I'm quite looking forward to seeing one on the bank.

p.s. The Hide is a similar weight to the Hideout, not the Lo Pro (Lo Pro is way down at 3.5 kg!).

1 hour ago, yonny said:

D'you know what Nige, when they announced this I couldn't see any benefit over the Tempest Brolly. I honestly though it was doomed to failure. BUT..... the Tempest Brolly V2 has now been announced with an increase in weight to 5 kg meaning, for me, the Hide is now the better option. It'll be a tricky decision for those looking at the two. I'm quite looking forward to seeing one on the bank.

p.s. The Hide is a similar weight to the Hideout, not the Lo Pro (Lo Pro is way down at 3.5 kg!).

Ah right, I took 4.1 something kg off that link in this thread??? Maybe misread it knowing me!! 

The hide is fantastic mate. They will be on display in the shops tomorrow but I reckon most will be sold out by the end of the day or on pre orders! 

As I said on another thread, I will probably end up using the hide, when I get one, for the majority of my fishing. Just like I did with the compact supabrolly! Only the hide will give even more versatility than the brolly. I can see the Titan only coming out for long sessions or socials where I can’t move. And that’s no slight on the Titan either as it’s a doddle to put up and take down in its own right! 

37 minutes ago, yonny said:

Yeah I would imagine that'll be the case. Shouldn't be long before I see one on the bank I reckon.

You’ll love it. I can’t see the need for a brolly system if you can have one of these. Recon it would suit you down to the ground.