Older fox alarms (lxr,dxr,rx)

Hi Danny, I can't help with much in the way of if they are digital or not, but I had a change of alarms last year, and found out that researching fox microns a bit of a nightmare there doesn't seem to be a lot of information around, but in the end I went for the mrx , I'll start with the down side first, the LEDs are to bright at night they're blinding, I have painted mine with black nail varnish, that's the only downside I can find, they are easy to use and can be set up just how I wanted, I have the volume turned off on the heads and just on the receiver, they have tone adjustment that the receiver picks up so high on one rod and low tone on the other is possible, also there is a light on the receiver for each rod and there can be up to four, on the head there is a very easy to use and see switch for on and off, it's got two sensitivity settings but I can't quite work out just what the difference between the two is . Hope this helps out a bit .

Cheers buddy. Has the white paint on the dials rubbed off of your mrx? It's a small thing but annoying considering I've only had them a year. Mine are just the mx I'll add. I bought them when new to carping not realising I'd want a receiver.  I just like the aesthetics of the older style ones. And I hear great things about them. Especially the lxr. I have to agree there isn't much concrete info on these alarms and a lot of conflicting stuff. I did research but it ended up confusing me even more

Think "digital" just means wireless..... Older models would have wires running from the alarm heads to a sounder box, meaning a few metres of mud caked wire to trip on and for the rats to chew on.  Gardner do a wireless "dongle" set up that can convert some older set ups to a wireless/digital one. might be other brands out there too.....

8 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Think "digital" just means wireless..... Older models would have wires running from the alarm heads to a sounder box, meaning a few metres of mud caked wire to trip on and for the rats to chew on.  Gardner do a wireless "dongle" set up that can convert some older set ups to a wireless/digital one. might be other brands out there too.....

So fox dxr would be digital then mate? Also what's the difference between them and the rx? Sorry to chew your ear

7 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

So fox dxr would be digital then mate? Also what's the difference between them and the rx? Sorry to chew your ear

I've not owned DXR, but I would assume that the "D" in their title would stand for Digital...... Some of the differences on these alarms could be something like, tone control or sensitivity control... I know the RX have  Volume,tone and sensitivity controls,...... Let me have a browse and I'll see if I can pick up on any real differences between the two...... Don't worry, you are not chewing my ear :)

18 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

After a quick browse........ The only difference between the two   DXR and RX Digital,........ The DXR has an extra adjustment dial on the face of the alarm. So there are 2 dials that have an "S" on them (The bottom two).. These are both for sensitivity control... The first of these, 3rd one down, is for adjusting the sensitivity of the roller wheel and is governed by how much line you want to pass over the wheel before an indication is registered........ The second "S" dial, bottom one, is said to adjust vibration, ...... A micro adjustment, if you will.

The RX alarm has one single sensitivity adjustment dial. When you turn this dial all the way round to it's most sensitive, there is a "V" symbol on the dial reading, which stands for "vibration", in other words , it's mega sensitive.....   IMO though Dan, I doubt you'd ever use an alarm set at its most sensitive as the slightest breeze or ripple even, will give you a lot of false bites.

Basically, the single sensitivity dial on the RX, does both jobs, that the two dials on the DXR do..

Side note... Those dinky little dials on the older alarms can be fiddly to adjust, especially if a little stiff. I use forceps, gently , if I need to adjust mine,. which isn't often.

The DXR with the vibration sensing was one of the best alarms of all time. They can't do it now as it infringes Delks patent. Battery life is awful however, you have been warned. The LXR is the same without vibration I understand. The RX is (I think) a different generation of the DXR.

They're all wicked alarms. Even the old cheapo Microns were great. They just don't let you down.

7 hours ago, yonny said:

The DXR with the vibration sensing was one of the best alarms of all time. They can't do it now as it infringes Delks patent. Battery life is awful however, you have been warned. The LXR is the same without vibration I understand. The RX is (I think) a different generation of the DXR.

They're all wicked alarms. Even the old cheapo Microns were great. They just don't let you down.

I've got 4 x MXs and an M some going back 20 odd years and it's a fact they all work like new.

Old fox alarms have to be the best all round surely, I'd go back to them without hesitation and they have been battered in all weather's- never missed a beat!

Edited by kevtaylor

6 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I've got 4 x MXs and an M some going back 20 odd years and it's a fact they all work like new.

Old fox alarms have to be the best all round surely, I'd go back to them without hesitation and they have been battered in all weather's- never missed a beat!

5 hours ago, yonny said:

Agree @kevtaylor. I still have a set of old micron m's and they work perfectly. It' why i moved to ntxr's after water problems with delks. Guess what.... they've been flawless.

I'm awaiting an imminent fox vs delks debate somewhere on this thread 😂.  Being new to proper carping I'm always eyeing up people's set ups on the banks. I see untold amounts of delkims. Top of the range delkims and foxes are a bit out of my price range. I sway toward fox as most of my set up is fox and I've found all their stuff pukka. Looking at around 200-250 for some good condition rx's or dxr's I think. Still a steep lay out but everyone keeps telling me they are bomb proof so think I'll be getting a set

18 minutes ago, yonny said:

Imo the delks perform better. It's just the reliability that's the issue.

I think they just sound a bit naff lol when your used to hearing a screaming Fox alarm.  No idea on Delk reliability - not had them long enough, feel a bit flimsy if you know what I mean but no probs yet.

Me and my mate were on the mill with new Delks, he gets a take and doesn't recognise the sound so we are saying, go on then someone hit it!!!

By the time he realised it was him, ran to his rods and lifted into the fish it fell off - unlucky for your first take from a venue - we'd only been there a couple of hours lol

I did the same in France, didn't recognise the sound as being anything to do with me.