Absolute bargain for somebody....

8 minutes ago, Ginger9991 said:

How come the price has dropped so much?

My worry is always they are going to take it off the market, or a new uprated version is coming out.

I used to love Shimano Catana line, brilliant casting, and very tough.

1 hour ago, Dannygooner said:

Quick question fellas, how many off these would spool 3 big pits , fox 12000s to be precise?thanks

1 bulk spool of the 6.1kg, which is roughly 13 lb breaking strain, is 1500 mtres..... That's plenty. Half of what you put on will never see daylight, so you can just flip the line round next time you re spool.

8 hours ago, smufter said:

My favourite line at a knockdown price...:shock::shock::shock:

http://www.tacklefanatics.co.uk/item/122895/shimano-technium-qp-pb-main-line.html

Wish I'd spotted it before paying £19.99 last week.

Great spot Smuft....... Just paid £17 a few days ago.

2 hours ago, crusian said:

Has anyone actually paid £40 for this line , or is the going price really £20 ? .

:)

Tell you what though, I did pay £40 for 400mtres of Carp-R-Us flouro quite a while back....... Lost a couple of fish to flouro hooklinks, and went of the idea of using it on the water I was fishing.... Still on the spool in the shed. :oops:

9 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Tell you what though, I did pay £40 for 400mtres of Carp-R-Us flouro quite a while back....... Lost a couple of fish to flouro hooklinks, and went of the idea of using it on the water I was fishing.... Still on the spool in the shed. :oops:

I used to be very wary of any fluoro snapping on me, it did have a tendency to give way a lot, so I avoided it for years. I think a lot of the issues are with knots giving way, because the fluoro works best with a particular knot, or the knot has not been properly lubricated and wetted down.

It is only recently I got back onto it, and have had no problems while using a Uni knot.

19 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I used to be very wary of any fluoro snapping on me, it did have a tendency to give way a lot, so I avoided it for years. I think a lot of the issues are with knots giving way, because the fluoro works best with a particular knot, or the knot has not been properly lubricated and wetted down.

It is only recently I got back onto it, and have had no problems while using a Uni knot.

I haven't had a chance to use the Carp R us, but it is meant to have a bit of stretch in it compared to other flouros that are a bit brittle IMO, and a slight nick will often see them part. TBH, I'm not a massive fan of flouro and have slated it before. But me seeing this stuff coincided with one of my mates catching a few , slack lining with a flouro mainline. I'll remember that knot when I get round to using it, cheers....... When you are on a run of blanks, it's easy to blame anything from mainline to hooks to bait etc. I'm a sucker for trying new bits, gets me in a pickle sometimes..:)

53 minutes ago, B.C. said:

I haven't had a chance to use the Carp R us, but it is meant to have a bit of stretch in it compared to other flouros that are a bit brittle IMO, and a slight nick will often see them part. TBH, I'm not a massive fan of flouro and have slated it before. But me seeing this stuff coincided with one of my mates catching a few , slack lining with a flouro mainline. I'll remember that knot when I get round to using it, cheers....... When you are on a run of blanks, it's easy to blame anything from mainline to hooks to bait etc. I'm a sucker for trying new bits, gets me in a pickle sometimes..:)

It was years ago when I first played with fluoros myself, around 1995 when I first started in a tackle shop. Sufix brought a few breaking strains out, Carp-r-Us brought out theirs, and I was sticking with a blood knot, or a Uni knot and having problems. I think at the time Dave Chilton was saying the Uni knot was a no no with fluoro, and I know with the blood knot I was getting crinkles. 

Fluoro has improved no end since then, and what I use now seems a whole lot better, but that may just be I understand its use now, being more careful with all my knots.

3 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Fluoro has improved no end since then, and what I use now seems a whole lot better, but that may just be I understand its use now, being more careful with all my knots.

Probably a bit of both mate. ....

I'm judging flouro from at least a decade back, can't remember for sure which brand, Kryston I think and also Korda's at the time. Didn't really get on with them. But like you say, with the improvements, might be worth a revisit.

4 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

Nice one mate. I think I paid 29.99 for the 15lb a few weeks ago but think it's a bit heavy for where I want to use it. Just ordered the 12lb. Thanks @smufter

I don't really cast more than 80yds for most of my fishing, so as long as I've got 200/250 yrds of line on the spool, and it's loaded to the lip of the spool, I'm happy.... Some people pack the spool out first with some old line or string or wool I've even used electricians tape to do this, if you have deep spools...

15 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

I'd never heard of packing the spool out with other gear. It's a good idea. The line I'm about to pull off has 80percent left on the spools most of which has never been in water. But in my defence I don't like it.

I've used all sorts as backing but imo a fishing line is always best, it lends itself to a consistent fill which aids line lay. Just leave a percentage of what you already have on and add another 200 yards of your new stuff buddy. Job done.

19 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

I'm trying my hand at ardleigh so think I'll be needing a fair bit of line , if I get time to wage the campaign I'd like too. But I'd never heard of packing the spool out with other gear. It's a good idea. The line I'm about to pull off has 80percent left on the spools most of which has never been in water. But in my defence I don't like it. Lost a few fish last summer and it doesn't grip as well as the technium.

4 hours ago, yonny said:

I've used all sorts as backing but imo a fishing line is always best, it lends itself to a consistent fill which aids line lay. Just leave a percentage of what you already have on and add another 200 yards of your new stuff buddy. Job done.

Old line for me as well, although I sometimes do put a layer of insulation tape on top of the old line, more so I don't have to feel for knots next time I change it.

Longest cast I made at Ardleigh was from Wick Lane end, bank to bank. If you know where the small stream inlet is, I was opposite that when I saw a fish roll in there. I guess about 125metres

4 hours ago, smufter said:

I've never paid £40.00 for it, but I have paid as much as £25.00 in the past. Like I say, I paid £19.99 for a spool of 15lb a week or two ago off of ebay. I don't need anymore but this is an absolute steal.

If you've never used Technium Black before, I can highly recommend it. It has never given me a moments problem and I have 100% faith in it.

Knots, sinks and casts well, and has very little stretch. Hangs nice and limply through the rings too.

I have never had a problem loading it on either, not having to soak it before use etc.

good to know bud, my two spools arrived this morning :lol:

Like I say, I paid £19.99 for mine off of ebay literally 2 weeks ago to go on my spare spools for France in the Summer.

A bulk spool easily fills 3 XT-A medium longcast reels, with plenty left over for hooklink duties if required.

Another plus point of the 15lb is that it pushes through rig tubing a lot (lot) easier than the 12lb!!

I am using a very thin tubing from MCF products, called "Hugger". It really is a fantastic product, a bit heavier than others I have used, and as I say, extremely thin so it's really easy to push into lead clips etc. It's also the most supple I have purchased, so will hug the lake bed brilliantly (hence the name "Hugger" I guess lol!)

Another Smiffy recommendation lads........    http://mcftackle.co.uk/product.php?id=107

The 15lb goes through it a treat, first time, every time. Makes life a bit easier that does!!

Edited by smufter

2 hours ago, smufter said:

Like I say, I paid £19.99 for mine off of ebay literally 2 weeks ago to go on my spare spools for France in the Summer.

A bulk spool easily fills 3 XT-A medium longcast reels, with plenty left over for hooklink duties if required.

Another plus point of the 15lb is that it pushes through rig tubing a lot (lot) easier than the 12lb!!

I am using a very thin tubing from MCF products, called "Hugger". It really is a fantastic product, a bit heavier than others I have used, and as I say, extremely thin so it's really easy to push into lead clips etc. It's also the most supple I have purchased, so will hug the lake bed brilliantly (hence the name "Hugger" I guess lol!)

Another Smiffy recommendation lads........    http://mcftackle.co.uk/product.php?id=107

The 15lb goes through it a treat, first time, every time. Makes life a bit easier that does!!

I don't know if I'm being a bit slow here or what but I've clicked on your link for mcf tackle but I can't seem to find any prices. 

Am I being a bit thick or what? :lol:

47 minutes ago, finchey said:

Am I being a bit thick or what? :lol:

That's odd, because I can't either. I have definitely bought direct from them in the past!!

Buy it from ebay instead. Same thing, same price! It's superb tubing. If you buy some, and don't like it, I'll buy it off you I'm that confident.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MCF-Hugger-Tungsten-Rig-Tubing-2-Metre-Length-All-Colours-/271813185336