Spod rod and reel

On 4 October 2017 at 14:19, Ginger9991 said:

Whats everyone using? its time for me to stop using my £20 "carp" rod as its........theres a lot of movement in this rod now its on its last legs! so time to buy stuff! i dont really want to go mad, if i can keep it under £150 that would be great for a rod i chuck around!

I'm still using Century's Big Bertha and her DD's, and a Shimano Aerlex 8000. Still putting Spombs and spods over 100.

I did get an Abu Segra Spod rod for Ardleigh, but braid wore the guides through, creating grooves, so I bought Big Bertha around 9 years ago. The reel I bought when I was fishing Earith, so thats over 10 years old as well.

I see no reason to change what works for me. 

On 08/10/2017 at 14:20, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm still using Century's Big Bertha and her DD's, and a Shimano Aerlex 8000. Still putting Spombs and spods over 100.

I did get an Abu Segra Spod rod for Ardleigh, but braid wore the guides through, creating grooves, so I bought Big Bertha around 9 years ago. The reel I bought when I was fishing Earith, so thats over 10 years old as well.

I see no reason to change what works for me. 

i to have the big bertha dd, coupled up with an emblem spod reel and hit 100yds plus with relative ease. had this rod donkeys years and its still as stiff as when i first got it. some rods definitely soften up over time but not this one.

26 minutes ago, emmcee said:

i to have the big bertha dd, coupled up with an emblem spod reel and hit 100yds plus with relative ease. had this rod donkeys years and its still as stiff as when i first got it. some rods definitely soften up over time but not this one.

Century were I think were the first and quite possibly still, the only rod company to Autoclave their rods.

In basic terms the wet resined blanks have all of the air and excess resin vacuumed out of them, so they retain their strength and stiffness.

A while I had a long conversation with Simon Chilcott about Century rods, and I believe he said they use carbon pre-preg cloths that no other rod manufacturer is able to get hold of from the F1, space and aeronautical industries.

He also mentioned that Economic and Technological sanctions prevent China from using many of the more advanced carbons in the rod industry. This may mean that any rod manufacturer who has rods made in China is not using the best materials, and why they can produce rods a lot more cheaply as the materials are not as good, more prone to 'going off', losing their stiffness, or breaking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9 October 2017 at 19:20, salokcinnodrog said:

Century were I think were the first and quite possibly still, the only rod company to Autoclave their rods.

In basic terms the wet resined blanks have all of the air and excess resin vacuumed out of them, so they retain their strength and stiffness.

A while I had a long conversation with Simon Chilcott about Century rods, and I believe he said they use carbon pre-preg cloths that no other rod manufacturer is able to get hold of from the F1, space and aeronautical industries.

He also mentioned that Economic and Technological sanctions prevent China from using many of the more advanced carbons in the rod industry. This may mean that any rod manufacturer who has rods made in China is not using the best materials, and why they can produce rods a lot more cheaply as the materials are not as good, more prone to 'going off', losing their stiffness, or breaking.

Picture of Century's Autoclave on this link: