Leadcore short lengths

Richard713

First time using leadcore. Trying to splice up a 1 to 2ft length to use with a solid bag. Spliced first end easy. When I go to splice the other end having cut it off the spool, the lead pulls out when trying to pull back the end and reveal the core. It seems almost impossible to splice a short length around a foot long without the lead pulling out. Any tips anyone? 😑

Ok, warning to you, DO NOT use any lead system other than a helicopter set-up with Leadcore, and preferably don't use Leadcore at all, it only takes 6inches to be able to catch and snag if a fish swims around a twig, stick or root.

Leadcore with an inline system, run ring or pendant lead clip is a recipe for disaster in the event of a break-off. Please don't think I am scaremongering, I used to use Leadcore, but advice from people on here, a lost fish that I left towing a leader, and having to get into the lake to release a snagged fish while I was experimenting with Leadcore setups to prove or disprove made me totally change my mind, and now I will never use it.

Basically as far as I'm concerned Leadcore has no place in carp fishing.

it's been said many times by various anglers... and then there are the cries of the faithfull to the stuff, shouting down the arguments against it... "it's safe if you know what you are doing" is a famous argument for it..... but who is to say who knows what they are doing, it only takes the line to hit a mussel shell or gravel bar and the potential is there for a snagged fish... I stopped using it years ago, in part because of all the horror stories around it, but mainly because most waters round my neck o' the woods have banned it.

Here's my take... it doesn't lie flat on the deck, it bridges dips and depressions on the lake bottom, looks blatant, can snag or tether fish if you get cut off...

I can see no upside to it.... other than abrasion resistance and there is no guarantee that any abrading of your end game is going to be on the leadcore section... (I did hear tales of folks using 6' plus of the stuff a few years ago.... )

That said.... if it's that dangerous why have Korda and other companies persisted with it's sales, and I heard t'other day that Korda have brought out short pre spliced lengths in packs of 6 for use with solid bags... TBH I can see a use  for a short leader for that application, but leadcore....???? (why not just use tubing?)

If you take the arguments against leadcore a stage further are not ANY leaders that safe...? given the way in which it can tangle or tether... Surely the safest rig has to be a freeline with a hook and bait and nothing else, and even that can tangle and tether (admittedly in very extraordinary circumstances) so where do you go from there... ?

I'd love a system where I can make up solid bags on a ready made leader and just slip a loop over it and cast it out... but if it's going to be that dangerous I'll pass on it

3 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

If you take the arguments against leadcore a stage further are not ANY leaders that safe...? given the way in which it can tangle or tether.

Standard line can tangle or tether though...... we are all risking the safety of the fish to a certain extent simply by fishing. IMO if a carp gets tethered on 15 lb line it aint snapping it, it'll rip it's own face off before the line goes.

4 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

Surely the safest rig has to be a freeline with a hook and bait and nothing else, and even that can tangle and tether (admittedly in very extraordinary circumstances) so where do you go from there... ?

The safest rig is the one that lands the fish IMO. If that takes 20 lb line and a leadcore leader then where does that leave us? Tricky one.

4 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

Here's my take... it doesn't lie flat on the deck, it bridges dips and depressions on the lake bottom, looks blatant

I tend to agree..... but Rig Marole Linqtek does none of that!

I'm using tubing at the mo but that's due to rules. I'll be honest, given the choice I'd be on the Linqtek.

11 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

it's been said many times by various anglers... and then there are the cries of the faithfull to the stuff, shouting down the arguments against it... "it's safe if you know what you are doing" is a famous argument for it..... but who is to say who knows what they are doing, it only takes the line to hit a mussel shell or gravel bar and the potential is there for a snagged fish... I stopped using it years ago, in part because of all the horror stories around it, but mainly because most waters round my neck o' the woods have banned it.

Here's my take... it doesn't lie flat on the deck, it bridges dips and depressions on the lake bottom, looks blatant, can snag or tether fish if you get cut off...

I can see no upside to it.... other than abrasion resistance and there is no guarantee that any abrading of your end game is going to be on the leadcore section... (I did hear tales of folks using 6' plus of the stuff a few years ago.... )

That said.... if it's that dangerous why have Korda and other companies persisted with it's sales, and I heard t'other day that Korda have brought out short pre spliced lengths in packs of 6 for use with solid bags... TBH I can see a use  for a short leader for that application, but leadcore....???? (why not just use tubing?)

If you take the arguments against leadcore a stage further are not ANY leaders that safe...? given the way in which it can tangle or tether... Surely the safest rig has to be a freeline with a hook and bait and nothing else, and even that can tangle and tether (admittedly in very extraordinary circumstances) so where do you go from there... ?

I'd love a system where I can make up solid bags on a ready made leader and just slip a loop over it and cast it out... but if it's going to be that dangerous I'll pass on it

That is part of my view about leaders. They are only suitable for fishing if there is no weed or snags that can get tangled up and tether within.

I have long said that tackle companies often bring out tackle that is not safe or suitable for fishing, but only to make money for them. 

Solar  tackle do sell PVA bag/mesh clips, they can actually be attached to an inline or pendant set-up not just a helicopter style lead.

http://www.solar24-7.co.uk/baitshop/advanced-rig-gear55cdd7abe430c/product/qcbs-quick-change-pva-bag-system

considering leadless leaders are available they are an option instead of leadcore. I've gone from fox submerge to avid outline fluoro leaders this year. Just to try it out. Personally I dont think i'll go back unless fishing on the river maybe. It's stood up to numerous snags and not come back damaged at all. Sinks superbly and is practically invisible. Yes it is a leader but I think because of the stiffness the likelihood of it tangling is lower than leadcore/leadless if a fish is trailing it. 

Obviously no leader is best but with 15lb line does it really make much difference using a 20lb fluorocarbon leader? 

Just one knot and it's one of the strongest about. The Mahin knot. I lost a fish on the undercut island Friday night. Fish shed the hook and I was left stuck to likely a root. The knot st the hook link swivel gave before the leader knot. 

For the invisibility factor it's well worth it. If I could get the leader in 15lb I'd use it at that BS but 20 is the lowest. 

Hi Everyone, it looks like my original post has triggered quite a debate!

Let me first explain where I am coming from.

I've only been carp fishing for around a year or so now and all of my fishing has been done using a lead clip and safety is something which has been and always is front of my mind when carp fishing.

I now want to try using Solid PVA Bags.

Having done my research it appears using a lead clip with a solid PVA bag is not really the best route to go down so I've spent a bit of time looking into the inline lead setup. I purchased a few Fox inline leads and quickly realised that these leads alone are really not safe straight off the shelf. There is a hard plastic insert which fits inside the lead and gives the swivel something to sit inside of. The problem is, it fits in so tightly that there is no way that lead is coming free from the plastic insert should it need to!

I've taken out the plastic insert and instead used a soft tail rubber which you'd normally place over a lead clip. As this is softer with it being rubber it releases with minimal force and would slide up the line / leader to should it be required, it also fits into the lead almost perfectly. 

Maybe I am wrong, but that is my take on inline leads, maybe other brands except Fox are different with regards to the plastic sleeve insert?

Having done the above research I then started to look into how to attach this to my mainline. A lot of people suggested using a leader and alot of the online videos also suggest this for the ease of having several tied up ready to go and simply looping them on and off. It's at this point that as a beginner I'm starting to get confused. Mentioning the word leadcore seems to have sparked a varying reaction but as a newcomer it's difficult to know what or who to believe. I've purchased some leadcore and started to make up some very short lengths similar to the korda pre tied ones, they are also very short. 

I am slightly confused how a very short length of leadcore can so easily get snagged up, I've always been told to concentrate of ensuring the lead can easily detach from the rig which I'm confident I am doing with this setup. Problem is I'm now doubting leadcore because of the comments in this thread. What can I use if I don't use leadcore? Is it a case of having to tie them up with your mainline directly through the inline lead? Is a piece of 15lb trailing mono any safer?

It's really hard to know which way to turn and even more so as a relative newcomer to carp fishing.

Hi Richard.... the setup your describing is geared around speed , so lends itself to the match side of carp fishing . If speed isn't an important factor just go for inline & short rig straight through .  Also I personally think  loop to loop for any leader will definitely be the weakest point & 99 times out 100 the loop on the mono will give. Leaders when used especially longer lengths should be joined with the appropriate knot . 

Your always get different views on leaders so don't let that bother you ,but unless you really need one then it's safer not to use one .

Big fan of tubing personally. 

5 hours ago, bluelabel said:

All i do is make a little solid bag with my hooklink and leave the lead out of the bag. That way you can just quick tie on your new rig with the bag already on it.

A lot of videos and instructions on the packs tell you to put the lead in but i dont bother and its caught me fish :wink:

9 hours ago, howsey16 said:

All i do is make a little solid bag with my hooklink and leave the lead out of the bag. That way you can just quick tie on your new rig with the bag already on it.

A lot of videos and instructions on the packs tell you to put the lead in but i dont bother and its caught me fish :wink:

The main reason for putting the lead in is to make the bag more stable for casting, allowing you to cast it further.

Just by keeping the bag close to the lead, attached to the hooklink swivel you make it more stable.

15 hours ago, Richard713 said:

Having done my research it appears using a lead clip with a solid PVA bag is not really the best route to go down so I've spent a bit of time looking into the inline lead setup. I purchased a few Fox inline leads and quickly realised that these leads alone are really not safe straight off the shelf. There is a hard plastic insert which fits inside the lead and gives the swivel something to sit inside of. The problem is, it fits in so tightly that there is no way that lead is coming free from the plastic insert should it need to!

I've taken out the plastic insert and instead used a soft tail rubber which you'd normally place over a lead clip. As this is softer with it being rubber it releases with minimal force and would slide up the line / leader to should it be required, it also fits into the lead almost perfectly. 

Maybe I am wrong, but that is my take on inline leads, maybe other brands except Fox are different with regards to the plastic sleeve insert?

heya Richard, your inline setup should really be minimalistic, just two items are required for the rig to work perfectly, lead and swivel as anything else is personal.

leads @ 2oz are the norm for me and this should be coupled with a #8 large ring swivel.

pass mainline thru lead sleeve and tie off with your knot of choice leaving a 15-20mm snag end, the snag end is tucked into the lead then followed by the swivel to act as a tell tail.

if needed the rig can be set up thus, first a length of tube to suit your set up/lake, then tail rubber pushed into the tubing (can be glued but only here), thread lead insert thru lead and onto line and add your swivel, seat tail rubber onto insert and fit hooklink, you will see that the whole rig from the swivel up will slide up the line under its own weight so in the event of a snap off the mainline will just slide free and dump the lead.

that is the way i have done it for years and i have never tethered a fish.

22 hours ago, yonny said:

I tend to agree..... but Rig Marole Linqtek does none of that!

I'm using tubing at the mo but that's due to rules. I'll be honest, given the choice I'd be on the Linqtek.

Well, I tried using Solar Lead free and as a leader it works well, I found splicing it to be a bit of a faff at first, but once I got the hang of it it was easy enough.... that's the good bit out of the way... for solid bag work it's next to useless, as the material holds water so as soon as you start to tie off the neck of the bag the water witheld in the leader started to dissolve the PVA bag... as I said though as a  straight leader for fishing in snaggy or places where abrasion is possible, it's great, it's soft, supple, follows contours and does what it sez on the bag (comes in  sort of grey/green or silt black colours)

Tried to find a link for Linqtek... nothing worth following... is it still made..?

18 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

Tried to find a link for Linqtek... nothing worth following... is it still made..?

Hardly any of their products are on their website buddy, not sure it's even updated any more..... I think they just use FB now, worth having a look on there. As far as I'm aware it's still made, it's still available in tackle shops.

To original poster I fish with very short lengths of lead core for solid bags about 6 inches in length. I remove the lead from the core so it's soft and splice a loop one end and a swivel at the other. When it come to inline leads your right they are a bit tight so I get some scissors or a knife and run it round the plastic until I get it so it holds but after a good shake will come off the swivel.

On 18 September 2017 at 19:06, Richard713 said:

Let me first explain where I am coming from.

I've only been carp fishing for around a year or so now and all of my fishing has been done using a lead clip and safety is something which has been and always is front of my mind when carp fishing.

I now want to try using Solid PVA Bags.

Having done the above research I then started to look into how to attach this to my mainline. A lot of people suggested using a leader and alot of the online videos also suggest this for the ease of having several tied up ready to go and simply looping them on and off. It's at this point that as a beginner I'm starting to get confused. Mentioning the word leadcore seems to have sparked a varying reaction but as a newcomer it's difficult to know what or who to believe. I've purchased some leadcore and started to make up some very short lengths similar to the korda pre tied ones, they are also very short. 

I am slightly confused how a very short length of leadcore can so easily get snagged up, I've always been told to concentrate of ensuring the lead can easily detach from the rig which I'm confident I am doing with this setup. Problem is I'm now doubting leadcore because of the comments in this thread. What can I use if I don't use leadcore? Is it a case of having to tie them up with your mainline directly through the inline lead? Is a piece of 15lb trailing mono any safer?

It's really hard to know which way to turn and even more so as a relative newcomer to carp fishing.

I mention experiments regarding leadcore in my first post, I was actually trying to find a safe set-up to use it, and what length was best to use it at. Lengths as short as 6inches were snagging around underwater twigs and branches when fish swam around them, and a length of leadcore is almost impossible to break. Pendant, fished as running or semi-fixed and inline leads in the event of a break off, even if the lead came away, the leadcore itself could be enough to snag the fish.

For years I used 2-3oz inline leads on Taverham Mills, straight through 12 or 15lb mainline with no problems, fished with stringers, bags, mesh or as a single bait. In most cases I was using tubing through the lead. I know various manufacturers now make inline leads with the insert, but my answer before that was to shave the end of the lead out and fix a tulip bead into it. The top of the tulip bead held the tubing. There was no need for a leader, we weren't long casting, I guess the longest cast was maybe 70yards.

As there was no need for speed, I would reel in, clean and dry the bait, lead, swivel and tubing. The hookbait and hook would then go into the PVA bag, and i would drop some free bait on it, some hooklink, more free bait, then the end of the rig and the lead. The PVA was then ' licked and sticked ' around the tubing.

As the whole lot was in the bag it would cast quite well, was stable, and a big fizz would show where it was as the bag dissolved. 

On 19/09/2017 at 07:45, salokcinnodrog said:

The main reason for putting the lead in is to make the bag more stable for casting, allowing you to cast it further.

Just by keeping the bag close to the lead, attached to the hooklink swivel you make it more stable.

I'm not a mega caster anyway me though, I prefer smaller lakes so not a massive issue for most of my fishing.