bedchairs

been looking around for a lightweight but comfortable bedchair, and after reading lots of reveiws and comments online,  i recently settled on a JRC stealth Xlite.

it arrived today.. and i have to say i'm disappointed.  It seems if you want comfort you have to buy something between 12-20kg. The JRC is light, 6.7kg, but it isn't comfortable having  very thin padding. I have an original Fox bedchair somewhere, and it seems in terms of comfort, unless you have memory foam, then things have hardly moved on in terms of comfort in 25 years.

surely somewhere, hiding away, there is a sub 10kg memory foam bedchair that is not only comfortable, but doesn't take up all the space in the car??  (have to get the dogs in too!)

any suggestions?

i was thinking of getting some foam seperately and i may end up doing that.

but you would think it wouldn't be difficult for someone to make a chair with a light frame like the xlite or tactical, and use memory foam for the padding. As you say, it's very light so wouldn't make the chair any heavier..  Lightness + comfort... what's the problem with doing that?  :) 

before i do anything else going to have a look at a SONIK XTI...  their compact is under 8kg with a 5cm foam mattress..

anyone got one??

unfortunately my dog has chewed up the lid of the box of the JRC i bought so might be stuck with it..   not sure if i can send it back now..  :(

9 hours ago, Big Common said:

I suppose it keeps the labour costs down and therefore the prices...... Unfortunately you never really know how good or bad a deal you are getting, until you start to actually use the item. Done it loads myself, been sold the dream lol. I try to do as much research as possible these days before buying.

Hope you manage to sort it mate.

That is my main reason for ever going to a carp show, comparing tackle all in one place, listening to the blurb from each manufacturer, then winding them up when I spot the bull... 

Flat beds are the way forward, yeah, they seem to take up more space than a bedchair, although after having mine now for over a year I do find it comfortable, most of the time, although the sleeping bag end sleeves to hold the bag in place don't work as well around bed legs. 

I have one of these

http://www.chubfishing.co.uk/chub-furniture---storage-bedchairs/chub-vantage-flatbed-6-leg/1379209-0300.html

I too have an occasional gripe or three, the leg locking pins have been known to come free, unscrewing from the k nob to lock it in place, any manufacturer who has a threaded pin/k nob system is likely to have the same problem, a plastic mould onto the pin and Spring is better in my eyes.

The length is 2.15metres when open, this includes the slight overhang at each end of the mattress material, so I do find either my head or feet sometimes are on the metal framework beneath it, the actual bed frame length is probably closer to 1.85metres, and I am almost exactly that height.

Good points, it is comfortable, but see notes above. The mattress has not sagged at all in over a years use. The mattress itself was warm during the winter, although I did also leave a piece of packing foam from the box under my sleeping bag. It folds up tidily, no problems, but because of the legs, and frame width and length the sleeping bag sleeves are not a 'tight' fit. (I have a Morpheus Extreme which may be a bit longer). The sleeping bag does stay and fit inside the flatbed when it is folded.

I gotta say that lightweight and comfy don't really go together... I look at it this way... the bedchair is either going to be slept on, or lobbed on a barrow to and from the venue, so weight isn't really an issue... buy the comfiest you can afford and sleep well... My Indulgence Wide Boy is the "dogs twitcher", and for a lanky six footer like me, dead comfy,

tbh don't use a barrow much. not a long session man, and i find once i've packed it in the car, unpacked it, assembled it, loaded it, unloaded it (then the whole thing in reverse when i leave)  i could have walked to many of the swims :) 

think a wide boy might make things a bit cramped in a fox easy shelter..  :)

I've got a zed bed 4, it weighs a ton and is bulky but its very comy

Luckily I can park at the back of any swim on my syndicate but I'd still rather barrow it about and get a decent nights kip than have something lighter but isn't big enough to fit me properly 

tbh don't thnk i've ever had a decent nights kip when carp fishing. i'm just not a good sleeper..  sleeping on carp sessions normally consists of 10mins dozing, 10 mins awake all night long til it gets light, even on the comfy bedchair (weighs 14kg!) i have atm. 

and sometimes i even get woken up by a fish! :wink:

anyway, i'm not a big bloke, so reckon the sonic xti compact may well be the closest to what i'm looking for, and if i decide to persevere with the fox easy shelter, it'll give me more room in that too

the JRC stealth xlite has gone back, and i just got my sonik XTI compact. It's great... plenty big  enough (2000mm [L] x 780mm [W] X 380mm (H))   , relatively light at about 7kg, nice thick (5mm) fleece covered foam mattress, really comfortable. Only downside it doesn't have much of a pillow area but other than that, well pleased with it. Am contemplating taking one set of legs off to make it even lighter..

bought from fishing republic for 114.99 and it arrived next day, free post... :)

Bedchairs? Don't be messing about, the Nash Indulgence is the way to go. My son had the JRC Stealth and thought it to be ok, at best. Then he sampled my aging Indulgence Mk4 and went straight to Fosters of Birmingham and bought the latest version. Loves it to bits.

It's only money and you only get one spinal column..........

Ian

I recently plumped for a Carp Zone bedchair, so glad i did  after a few seasons on a basic no padding job, big difference and very well made too, bit on the heavy side but when you chuck it on the barrow, what's it matter.  Just need a bigger bivey now, you wouldn't get two in the JRC contact two birth. :lol:

The wychwood bedchairs are good. The compact lightweight one with the camp trim. I have the smallest version to save on space and weight. I prefer it to my own bed and sleep much better in it. 

Been used plenty as a spare bed in mine and others houses and everyone loves it! 

5 minutes ago, greekskii said:

The wychwood bedchairs are good. The compact lightweight one with the camp trim. I have the smallest version to save on space and weight.

Same here, brilliant bed, very light.

It's been re-branded by Cyprynus, same bed for 80 quid. Absolute bargain.

https://www.cyprinus.co.uk/collections/beds-seating/products/base-camp-flatbed-camouflage-bedchair-compact

47 minutes ago, yonny said:

Same here, brilliant bed, very light.

It's been re-branded by Cyprynus, same bed for 80 quid. Absolute bargain.

https://www.cyprinus.co.uk/collections/beds-seating/products/base-camp-flatbed-camouflage-bedchair-compact

Bargain. It has some elastic on it though which the wychwood doesn't? Or I've never looked at mine properly.