cray proof your baits?

If I told you how bad Crays can be, you may not believe me.

I have had baits coated in armour mesh, stocking mesh, or even shrink wrap munched to nothing, cut through the shrink wrap, or cored and dug out.

The only answer I have found is to use alternative hookbaits, in drilled wooden balls soaked in bait dip, and tie them on with 25lb braided hooklink material.

That has been my answer on previous crayfish threads, and somewhere I give bait dip ideas, suppliers etc.

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

If I told you how bad Crays can be, you may not believe me.

I have had baits coated in armour mesh, stocking mesh, or even shrink wrap munched to nothing, cut through the shrink wrap, or cored and dug out.

The only answer I have found is to use alternative hookbaits, in drilled wooden balls soaked in bait dip, and tie them on with 25lb braided hooklink material.

That has been my answer on previous crayfish threads, and somewhere I give bait dip ideas, suppliers etc.

my post was just a possible suggestion Nick as believe it or not, i have NEVER seen a crayfish in the flesh as we dont get them round here :lol:

I've found glugged wafters wrapped in tights with extender stops to be effective while allowing baits to perform really well (in terms of attraction). One of the least inhibitive solutions to crays.

16 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Savage - I've never encountered them on that level.

Nowt new... Gardner has been making "Flak Jackets" for years...

https://picclick.co.uk/Gardner-Hard-Ball-Bait-Saver-Bait-Skin-Bait-142276533541.html

applied the same way as the Korda stuff I believe  and a bit better from what I've heard, as Gardner's product is a lot thicker... I used it at Les Quis many years ago as protection from the Poisson Chat... it worked okay, for the Chats, but  I've not used it where crays are prevalent (don't think I have any left anyhow)

Crayfish, can make the lake harder to fish than the fish can from my experience , really can get your head scratching. I have tried the korda stuff mentioned above, wasn't overly impressed tbh.... may as well just fish plastic baits as that's what your left with anyway ,with out all the added faff ( which it was ) 

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Crayfish, can make the lake harder to fish than the fish can from my experience , really can get your head scratching. I have tried the korda stuff mentioned above, wasn't overly impressed tbh.... may as well just fish plastic baits as that's what your left with anyway ,with out all the added faff ( which it was ) 

That is so true. I can understand fish movement, I can understand them spooking from angler pressure, I can get  the taking time to come onto bait, yet if the bait is gone because crayfish have got it first, or even the carp have  spooked from the crayfish themselves.