Help and opinions wanted

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum bad getting back into fishing after an 18 year gap as I sure you can imagine the gear that's about has changed dramatically since I last picked up a rod. Some of which I don't even know where to start. After blowing the cobwebs off my tackle I've found my old Diawa alarms have packed up. 

I realise this is going to be a question which will depend on personal preference, But I'm looking at bite alarms for around £200 and the market seems flooded with options. I like the look of the New Direction K9's and the prologic SMX anyone used them and know what they are like? I'm open to any other suggestions.....….......

8 minutes ago, Chippie81 said:

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum bad getting back into fishing after an 18 year gap as I sure you can imagine the gear that's about has changed dramatically since I last picked up a rod. Some of which I don't even know where to start. After blowing the cobwebs off my tackle I've found my old Diawa alarms have packed up. 

I realise this is going to be a question which will depend on personal preference, But I'm looking at bite alarms for around £200 and the market seems flooded with options. I like the look of the New Direction K9's and the prologic SMX anyone used them and know what they are like? I'm open to any other suggestions.....….......

Welcome to Carp.com.

You don't need to spend that much money to get good alarms nowadays.

TFG Dave Lane Mag runner alarms work out at around £89 for the 3 and receiver.

Other alternatives are the Atts system by Gardner, or possibly Delkim EV's.

Although I am a committed Delkim user, having owned ST's for 20+ years, if I went new I would be looking at The Mag Runners or Atts

Thanks. 

The Dave Lang mags look very good value for money, surprised to find something that looks good quality for under £100.  ATT's are slightly out of my price range they seem to be around the £300 mark. 

Would I be right in saying that you can't adjust the tone on either of these? Or is it done via the receiver? 

I'll second Fox Microns.
I have 3 x MX+ alarms that have never given me a moments problem since the day I bought them.
I have no need for a receiver as I bring my rods in at night and am always "on"  them at other times.
You can pick them up new for under £35.00 each if you shop around, and I personally think they are great value for money.
Separate tone and volume controls, and a very simple "toggle" on/off switch which I like. 
The blue LED light is very bright (repeat VERY!!), you can see it instantly. In the dark it will easily light up the surrounding trees so you can even run them on "silent mode"
The other bonus with them is that they run on simple AAA batteries, which are available anywhere. 
My Daughters previous alarms (she now has the same Microns as me) required a tiny little battery which wasn't available everywhere, and it was a right pain in the butt if you needed replacements in an emergency.
I appreciate that Delks and the like have a following, but I can think of a lot more things I want to spend my hard earned on, and a hundred ££££'s or more saved on alarms would allow me to buy "better" reels, landing net or luggage for instance.

On 20 April 2017 at 13:32, harpz_31 said:

I had some tfg alarms years ago and they were garbage and was in the bin after 6 months and replaced with some cheap fox alarms which were great and only swapped them cos im going deaf and needed a receiver so got some delkims

Oh yes TFG deserved the bad reputation they had, however since Dave Lane became consultant quality has improved immeasurably.

Bivvies that don't leak, brollies that do the job properly and decent alarms. I still wouldn't trust everything until I've seen it in use, but I can vouch for the Power Brolly, Hardcore Brolly, Lok Down leaders and Mag alarms.

A mate of mine has the Power Brolly, and I had the Hardcore Brolly, until a few months ago when it was ripped out the ground and turned inside out during a hurricane force wind. My fault probably for setting up facing into the wind, (not the first time). I gave it to a mate, and he has repaired the wire holding the spokes in situ. Even then it was a couple of years old

If you go through last years TFG catalogue, Dave Lane gives a short blurb on the alarms. Of those I sold when I was in the tackle shop, none were ever returned!

22 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Oh yes TFG deserved the bad reputation they had, however since Dave Lane became consultant quality has improved immeasurably.

Bivvies that don't leak, brollies that do the job properly and decent alarms. I still wouldn't trust everything until I've seen it in use, but I can vouch for the Power Brolly, Hardcore Brolly, Lok Down leaders and Mag alarms.

A mate of mine has the Power Brolly, and I had the Hardcore Brolly, until a few months ago when it was ripped out the ground and turned inside out during a hurricane force wind. My fault probably for setting up facing into the wind, (not the first time). I gave it to a mate, and he has repaired the wire holding the spokes in situ. Even then it was a couple of years old

If you go through last years TFG catalogue, Dave Lane gives a short blurb on the alarms. Of those I sold when I was in the tackle shop, none were ever returned!

yea had a tfg sleepingbag as well which was absolute pants but still better than trakker stuff

1 hour ago, Chippie81 said:

That's good to know I'll stay well away from any TFG stuff. 

It's not all bad, it's knowing what is good:wink:

I also have a pair of their Field Boots, exactly the same as the Jack Pyke boots, but at £60 compared to £160.

As said the Mag runner alarms are brilliant.

Guess what manufacturer I had most alarms back as faulty when I was in the tackle shop.... 

Fox!

Delkim went through a phase of faulty alarms, yet I have not had any problems with mine, purchased in 2000'ish.