Shrink tube

Lumeymorris

Not something I really use as don't really know to much about it other that you use steam to shrink it. Now is it something works with every hook and rig material(braid/flurocarbon) or should I only really be using it with certain things if you get where I'm going basically when should I consider using it and when to leave it in the tackle box?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use clear shrink tubing all the time, I would have a piece over the knotless knot and a small little bit further down the hook to keep the hair nice and neat. Recently I switched to black and lost all confidence in it because I didn't like the way it stood out. I've now gone back to using nothing but a simple hair rig. I've done really well with and without it

I tie a lot of rigs using tubing over the hook, both silicon tubing and shrink tubing, almost every rig has tubing as I have seen fish manage to eject rigs on a plain knotless knot and hair. Blooming annoying when you are up close and personal, no more than 3metres away from the biggest fish in the lake!

So I use a line aligner to prevent that happening again.

The tubing I use is whichever silicone tubing goes over the eye, or quite simply shrink tube purchased from Maplins, and I honestly don't care that it is black and has white printing on it. The black is not going to stand out on a lakebed, not in that tiny length.

13 hours ago, nafy118 said:

It's good for all materials, it can be used on soft braids to make an acute angle helping the rig to flip or it can be used on fluro type lines to help open up the gape a little as some hooks can cause the line angle to very sharp. 

As Nafy says, almost every hook link material, although the only rigs I don't use it on are out eyed hooks.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

As Nafy says, almost every hook link material, although the only rigs I don't use it on are out eyed hooks.

Same here, except I don't use any on fluoro stiff rigs.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

almost every rig has tubing as I have seen fish manage to eject rigs on a plain knotless knot and hair.

Likewise. I've seen them get away with it with tubing too but it does seem to make a difference.

You can get it off ebay for a quid a meter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Shrink-Various-Colours-Sizes-Lengths-Sleeving-Heatshrink-Tube-wire-/111833021309?var=&hash=item1a09c47b7d:m:mpdQE0Qxl4DGE-XAwxOrZZg

I used to use it all the time on simple knotless knot rigs. Don't have a need now I use multi rigs for 90% of my fishing. 

Have found it useful if I run out of anti-tangle sleeves or want to extend a loop to stop it tangling. I use it over any leader knots or when joining stiff materials and braid for the stiff multi rig just for added protection on the knot and for something for the putty to grip

I have copied and pasted part of a post of mine from Guide to Knotless Knot and Rigs:

It is as simple as attaching a hook with a knotless knot, and in many or even most cases, simple is best. There are sometimes when a rig needs to be slightly upgraded and by adding a Line Aligner then you can create a more aggresive hooking angle

Coated Braid with a Line Aligner:

Hooklink.jpg

These simple rigs can be adapted for Braids, Nylon, fluorocarbons and Coated Braids, and used for bottom baits or pop-up rigs.

To use them for pop-ups, add sinker, olivette or a piece of putty at the height you want the bait popped up off the bottom

Here is a Short Stiff link line aligned and a loop knot at the end

No-knotstiffrig001.jpg

Braid Line Aligner with Shrink Tubing

Linealigner.jpg

The hook has been tied on with a knotless knot, and then a piece of Shrink Tubing threaded on using a needle, coming out the front of the tubing, and then steamed to shrink it down, then I tie on the swivel. The tubing curves in slightly to extend the shank, and also holds the hair to the back of the shank.

This rig is my standard rig at the moment, and has been cut off the mainline straight after a session, so still has the beads and run ring for a bolt or running lead attached to the tag.

The hooklink is Kryston Mantis, tied to the eye of the hook (size 6 Gardner Mugga) with a braid hair also tied to the hook, and then whipped down the shank and held in place opposite the base of the barb with a small piece of tight fitting silicon tubing. The small loop at the end of the hair, is where in addition to a bottom bait, I also tie on a pop-up.

The hook has had a shrink tube line aligner added, and I can guarantee that it works:

NazeingRig_zps85bf7a7d.jpg

I promise use you these rigs do work, and are mostly as simple as I can make them, and probably as complicated as you need to go.

The stiff link is what I use on The Lagoons, even though that pic is years old, to beat crayfish. I put a drilled wooden ball on the hair, and a meshed bottom bait at the end of the hair, held in with a hair stop.

Even if or when the Crays manage to get the meshed bait, the knot on the hair in addition to the remains of the mesh prevent the wooden ball coming off.

I do confess I am currently using Solar 101 hooks in size 6, as well as The Gardner Mugga's, but the tying is exactly the same.