Mainline Balanced Wafters

Richard713

Not too sure. I saw on a mainline website article the krank size 6 balances perfectly so I bought them. Not sure about the Kurv ones.

http://www.mainline-baits.com/mainline-articles/balanced-bites-part-two-165/

"if I thread a 15mm wafter onto a standard Hair Rig using a size 6 Krank, the hook will sit flat with the hookbait hovering just above it"

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

size 6 ... tied kid style

My rigs can look quite childish as well, so don't be put off, they still catch :lol:

"if I thread a 15mm wafter onto a standard Hair Rig using a size 6, the hook will sit flat with the hookbait hovering just above it"

There should be a bit where he explains how she adjusts them to suit - it would be difficult to produce that effect at all depths, might be easier to shave your boilie a bit, the alternative is to add extra weight to your hook maybe putty or a split shot.

Richard ,

It looks to me that you need to spend some more of your hard earned on more korda accessories , according to ali that rig is just not a knotless knot rig , you need to add all the rest of the bits , hook stop , ring swivel and putty, once you have spent the £30 on all these bits, you then need to trim the wafter ( with your korda scissors)  to get it to balance just right , not forgetting the correct weighted braided hooklength

dave    

I made the point on another thread recently that every hook, rig, etc needs to be tested as the buoyancy of every pop-up, wafter is different.

I very rarely use a purchased Wafter hookbait, if I want a critically balanced hookbait, then it is a pop-up that is carefully weighted with a shot or putty, a snowman bait, bottom bait under pop-up, or a bottom bait drilled out and filled with cork or foam.

Richard ,

It looks to me that you need to spend some more of your hard earned on more korda accessories , according to ali that rig is just not a knotless knot rig , you need to add all the rest of the bits , hook stop , ring swivel and putty, once you have spent the £30 on all these bits, you then need to trim the wafter ( with your korda scissors)  to get it to balance just right , not forgetting the correct weighted braided hooklength

dave    

:lol:

That so sounds like Korda, and Ali Hamidi, and is one of the main factors on why I try not to use any of their products!

Just tied up some knot less knot rigs with a korda size 6 krank and put on a 15mm mainline wafter which is supposed to have been tested against korda size 6 and match perfect. The wafter lifts the whole rig off the bottom and sits mid water. Complete waste of money. It's more like a popup !!

ive heard on more than one occasion that the size 6 kranks have been known to open up and drop fish as a consequence. i use the krank hook a lot but only in size 4 and never had a problem with them. the bigger hook may also help with balancing your rig better. when i use the krank in size 4 i use 18mm waftas made by premier baits and they are spot on.

Edited by emmcee

At the risk of starting another Korda argument I really can't see the problem with what they do. They promote their products just like any other company does, maybe mr fairbrass could do a little less shouting when he nets a fish... that would be a bit more "wicked man"

to be honest I dont have anything against korda as a brand and own some of their products , its the way that the marketing is pushed upon people , most is subliminal ( if thats the correct word ) its the fact that we all need the latest rig and all the parts that go with it to be able to catch these monster carp...... and guess what , korda have just the bits your looking for, all in a nice shiny box !!

I can remember when I was a kid , an old boy telling me that most of the floats in my local tackle shop ,  were there to catch the fisherman not the fish.

dave    

The most simple way to fix this would surley be to just trim the wafter ... test and re-test to its sitting right.

Im not really a fan of them as i find that the wafter becomes more buoyant the deeper you fish so it may be sitting perfect in the margin but in 11ft of water you have no idea how it is sitting ... i think alot of fished are hooked when its almost sitting like a zig rig half the time ... i have also seen cases where an undertow has move the wafter/hooklink back on itself and managed to get wrapped around the lead system/leader ... i would not be confident when using them that my rig is actually fishing how i want it to.

If i want a wafter type rig i will use a split shot after the hook that will hold the popup at desired height i find this is the nearest you will get to a wafter type rig that i no will be fishing right.

I've given up with them now!

I did try to trim them down, although I had to trim so much off them to get the size 6 hook to sit flat that it just looked ridiculous having such a large hook in comparison to the rather small wafter once trimmed down. 

So for now, just thinking what else I can use them for as it's a waste of £12 on 2 tubs of these things  :confused:

Was thinking I might be able to use them as a snowman topper - potentially.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buying any of these.

• 1 month later...