Pods . What ja make of 'em ?

Evening ladies . Pods . Lovely ain't they ?

Nice shiny ones , nice Matt black ones , stainless , square ones , round ones , long ones , cheap ones , all sorts ...

I myself own a TFG Crosspod and I think it's great for the money , which wasn't an awful lot tbh , and my back up in case of emergencies is a cheapo one from Argos that I bought many many years ago ...

The TFG is Probably one of the best value items of " tackle " along with my STi that I ever purchased although I'm not a great fan of pods as I like to use banksticks IF I can for various reasons .

And I only reach for the pod if I'm faced with a swim that has one of those damned platforms and even then I'll try to find a patch of grass next to it for my sticks if I can .

However what makes a pod ? Why are some cheap as chips and some are so ridiculously expensive that it would be difficult to justify spending that much money ?

What has a Jag pod got that a Solar Pid hasn't ?

What difference would it make WHICH pod ?

It's just a functional item to rest your rods on isn't it ?

Isn't it ?

I bought a Matrix Slinky set up a few years back now. It can be used as single sticks, goal posts, or with cross bars as a pod. I had to get some kind of pod set up as the water I was fishing had rock hard and uneven banks even in the winter. It was quite expensive at the time, but I consider it a piece of kit that I'll never have to replace, (perhaps the odd add-on ).

To be honest, looking at it now, it's well over priced. But like I say it's a life time addition to my kit. I like the options it gives me and it's very well built and solid. Most of the waters in my area are gravel pits excavated late sixties for the housing/road building boom. And as such are difficult to put sticks into the bank. So a pod is essential in my opinion especially as the nights draw in and there is less time to get set up on over nighters (;less noise too).

I don't think a pod is a "must have", but, sometimes you need to have one. If it were possible, I'd use single sticks all the time.

That's very good post BC , versatility :)

Pods look lovely but i wouldnt use it unless ground was so hard i had to, even then id try my hardest to get sticks in. I do own one, a nash one cos its low down

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

Oh I agree mate , I just wondered what makes people choose the pod they choose .

I myself just consider a pod to be a glorified double/treble banksticks to rest yer rods on .

BC above came up with versatility as the main reason why he uses what he uses . But £250 ?

I could ( for a change) go out and buy one tomorrow but I'm interested in what makes people choose one pod over another ?

I found mine invaluable when fishing the small water recently. Doing single nights especially in winter, I needed something I could set up in no time with the minimal of disturbance. I'm not so bothered now I'm fishing 100 yards plus, but for small water fishing I wanted to be as unintrusive as possible, and my pod provided that for me.

Edited by Gazlaaar

I found mine invaluable when fishing the small water recently. Doing single nights especially in winter, I needed something I could set up in no time with the minimal of disturbance. I'm not so bothered now I'm fishing 100 yards plus, but for small water fishing I wanted to be as unintrusive as possible, and my pod provided that for me.

My pod is carbon I think so goes up (and down) nice & quietly Gaz .

I can imagine those big Solar jobbies clanking away on set up :)

Some one'll put me right on that no doubt :) :)

I used to have the globetrotter, front tripost rear tripost, it weighed a tonne, cracking pod,;but when your cutting back on gear and weight, you need something light and quick to set up. I also had the nash pocket pod, again nice pod,;but the Gardner was just quicker to set up. That old pod did everything I needed

To be honest, like any kit, I think it just has to do what you need it to do. I used to have a sygnet pod years back. It was flimsy, wobbly, too high and I never really liked it. £50 odd quid down the drain (or at the back of the shed somewhere). I usually try to buy the best I can afford at the time. At the moment I'm looking at rods around the £80/£100 mark, as that's all my budget can stretch to for a while. But if I was financially better off I wouldn't have a problem splashing out whatever it cost to find exactly what I needed at the time.

Sorry to hijack, what kind of rods are you after?

I've got a Cygnet Quicklock pod and absolutely love it. Very quick and easy to set up/take down, and is as solid as a rock.

Sits nice and low to the ground too, so if it's a bit windy I can easily get my rod tips into the water if needs be.

One of the most annoying sounds to me when I'm fishing is somebody hammering their bank sticks into rock hard ground, so I'm not going to inflict that on anybody else.

I dislike having to use a pod, I much prefer buzzer bars on banksticks goalpost style.

However, I do own and use on, that as I keep saying, I can use as single sticks, goalpost on sticks or as a goalpost pod.

Banksticks in soft ground, although I do sometimes use a sacrificial bankstick to dig around to create a hole for the bankstick in harder ground, and pod on stages.

Versatility, important!

I honestly don't know how old it is, but I bought it for £50 at 5 Lakes around the time I was fishing Earith, and it was made by the joke of the time, Badger.

I have replaced the buzzer bars with some JRC stainless bars, and put in some Solar banksticks, but the central frame is the original.

badger08.jpg

Bucking the trend i love Pods !

I only revert to banksticks if every attempt to erect a pod fails which is almost never...

Know ones mentioned Stage stands another lovely piece of tartyness :)

I love Smufters comment "I've never found any ground that's too hard to get a pod into" Can't argue with that logic :)

Bucking the trend i love Pods !

I only revert to banksticks if every attempt to erect a pod fails which is almost never...

Know ones mentioned Stage stands another lovely piece of tartyness :)

I love Smufters comment "I've never found any ground that's too hard to get a pod into" Can't argue with that logic :)

Id look silly screwing stage stands into the bank [emoji1]

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk