Eagle Claw Lazer Trokar hooks

Back home and had a really good look at each hook under X20.

Pros:

Out of the packet the chods are definitely sharper than any other hooks I have on hand (but not by a huge margin).

The curves are even better (but still not perfect).

Cons:

The positioning of the flats on the hookpoints points is slightly different on each hook, and none of them are in a position that makes them easy to sharpen. This means a sharpening vice cannot easily be used; you'd have to do it all by hand which is frankly a nightmare. I'm not even going to attempt it - on the curve shanks two of the three flats are inside the gape (where the barb is) so you can't even access them with the stone/file. The positioning of the flats on the chods seems almost random.

The 'miss-shaped ground flats' I mentioned on the chods under X10 is actually physical damage. It is located in exactly the same place on both chod hooks, on the edge of one of the flats. Closer inspection of the curves found the same damage on 2 of those, again, in exactly the same place.That indicates the hooks are orientated when the damage occurs, which suggests they're tool marks from the forming process. Does this effect sharpness? No, but it still looks a little rough. I suspect it sticks out simply because of the presence of the flats (i.e. if there were no flats you wouldn't be able to see the damage) but I checked through a whole pack of Atomics and couldn't see anything even slightly resembling similar damage.

I've seen enough. The conclusion is that if you're happy to use hooks straight from the packet than these are well worth checking out. Very sharp hooks indeed.

If you're completely obsessed with honing your hooks to absolute perfection, like me, these are not the hooks you're looking for.

Yonny - that is brilliant!! Most check their hooks with a couple of pricks to their hands or nails... you check them in a laboratory!!! That is so cool!!

Thank goodness it's Yonny with the laboratory , if was someone like Cyborx goodness knows what his twisted mind - oops , I mean fertile imagination would conjure up ! .

:wink:

Yonny will you be testing them in the water or have your conclusions so far put a stop to further testing?

That draws a close to the testing fella. I foresee what will happen now is I'll keep them in my tackle box "for emergencies" and then bin them in about 2 years lol......

i would presume that you will be making your findings known to messrs Eagle Claw?

Nah, they'll just think I'm some nut job carp freak playing with hooks in a lab at work. In fairness they'd be about right. :P

I'm not sure where I heard it, but I believe that the bait holding barbs came on sea fishing hooks by accident, where a machine cut was 'grabbing' the hook too tightly as the metal went through the forming process.

However if there is a definite flat, then I am sure that Eagle Claw would want to know about it to rectify the problem.