spod/ marker braid?

hey guys,

i was having a chat with a mate last night. we have both been looking at a change in lake which would mean we need our first spod and marker set ups. after doing loads of reading, a fair bit of it on older threads on here ive come to the conclusion that we dont need a shock leader, just go for a higher breaking strain braid. from what ive read more than few people use 30lb braid on its own. this got me thinking, why not use a 50lb or 80lb, surely it would be stronger and make loosing spombs/spods less likely. but my mate said that if that was the case then why doesnt everyone use 50lb or 80lb. its widely availible, very cheap stuff. this got me thinking, could it be thats its just overkill, maybe it will effect distance. its one of them questions that got us both coming up with different answers so i thought it best to ask on here before committing to a certiain breaking strain.

so my questions are:

am i right in presuming that most people dont use shockleaders?

what is the most commonly used breaking strain? (we are both looking at large spombs)

if people are using only braid then why are people not using the heaviest breaking strain they can get away with?

thanks,

keeno! 

am i right in presuming that most people dont use shockleaders?

what is the most commonly used breaking strain? (we are both looking at large spombs)

if people are using only braid then why are people not using the heaviest breaking strain they can get away with?

I've used all sorts of set ups over the years.

There's nowt wrong with using 60 or 80 lb braid straight through. People tend not to because they believe it'll affect their casting which, unless they're looking to cast 200 yards, it will not.

I went back to mono recently (10 lb mono with a 15-30 lb tapered shock leader). So much easier to work with - no wind knots, don't have to wet it constantly, easier to work with in general IMO.

Edited by yonny