What line do you use?

Ah, but would you say pads are a snag? How about a reed bed, thick weed? Just a test

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That's a good answer fella. Fair point.

Yes, I would say pads are a snag.

No, I would not call weed snags.

The reed bed is the one that gets me - snags or not? Who knows, but I do know I'd want to be fishing a snag type heavy duty line if I was fishing sparse reeds that the fish could get into.

Some lily roots are as thick as your arm, so yes I would classify that as a snag.

Weeds snags? not really, although there can be plenty of grit, shells etc that can make short work of lines with no abrasion resistance.

As for rushes, some stick up above the water away from the main bed which can be on the edge, so yes I would say with the line going around a reed or rush bed it would be classed as a snag, in my mind, I do know I would want a decent line to cope with it.

I think it's down to the competency of the angler whether they can first fish to pads/snags and secondly do it safely so they land the fish

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I reckon if you intend to have a go at pads/snags, then you should try to get as much info as possible from guys who do it regular on your venue, do not just see somebody catch something aand go and lob your 8 pound BS nylon rig into a tree snag or thick lillies, tackle is part of this and technique is learned from others, otherwise the results can be disastrous, heavy line a must.

As above, it's being sure and getting what works.

On Taverham I could drop to 12lb Sensor and know I could get fish out of the lilies. I would not consider going any lower breaking strain than that, yet when Weybread Number 1 was clear and weed free 8lb line with a leader for long distance fishing was suitable.

Again on Taverham, I could fish up to snags as safely as possible with that same 12lb line, and hitting takes as soon as they happened I landed most fish. The few I lost were down to hook pulls, not tackle getting snagged!

Yet on Brackens I would not even consider fishing near the snags with line less than 15lb.

As for fishing The Pads, after May I avoided the swim, you just did not have the room to play a fish without it getting into the massive bed of them, no matter what strength line.

It is actually likely that many anglers are fishing 20lb line without knowing. I keep on going on about line diameter to breaking strain, well a line that is 0.40mm is a 20lb line, not 15, so many, maybe even most anglers are fishing stronger than they think.

Years ago there was a thread called 'Overgunned', it may be worth a read even now

It is actually likely that many anglers are fishing 20lb line without knowing. I keep on going on about line diameter to breaking strain, well a line that is 0.40mm is a 20lb line, not 15, so many, maybe even most anglers are fishing stronger than they think.

Spot on. Breaking strain is meaningless. It's a number made up by the manufacturer.

The key is diameter and stretch.

- Diameter will tell you all you need to know about linear strength and, to an extent, knot strength.

- Stretch characteristics tell you about abrasion resistance - pre-stretched = poor, low stretch (semi pre-stretched) = OK, no pre-stretching = good.

Anyone know of a shop that's got 15lb suffix Synergy in stock ? struggling to get hold of some .

That's what I've been using since Nige tipped me the wink on it. Simply put, it's the best line I've ever used.

0.3mm diameter, ties nicely and has no spool memory.

Loving it.

Ian