pebble drop off system

gagnaccarp

Since loosing a good size fish to an underwater snag when the drop off system got caught in a v between branches i have wanted to make my own drop off using pebbles, over the last few days in between shopping i think i have come up with something that should be good for margin and bait boat fishing it could be ok for casting long distances with a bit of practice.

I will post it up over the next few days , if i can stay sober enough !

here goes then !

drop%20off%208_zpsfxbnisaj.jpg

so,in this diagram you have your mainline attatched to your rig via the swivel at "B"

1st tie your .5 kg line to the swivel at point "B" and thread it through the pebble and tie at point "A" leave just a little bit of slack,you could cover this length of rig with some tubing ,where it touches the pebble !

2nd thread some 9 ply pva string through swivel at point "B" and through pebble and return to point "B" maybe double up for extra strength ! now this has to be tight as it will take the load on casting also make sure you have removed any sharp edges after drilling ,i used an angle grinder a dremmel tool or sand paper will do ,

try to pick pebbles that you can get a drill bit through ,avoid hard stone like granit , i used sandstone.

the hole was made with a 6 mm masonry bit in a cordless drill

you might have to play around with the line through the center of the pebble to get the desired weight of break to you lead etc i just had some old .5 kg maxima lying around !

drop%20off%207_zpsyxoomg5j.jpg

if all goes well this is what you should be left with after a take ,i tried it around 10 times and it seemed pretty reliable ive not tried it out properly yet though ,

drop%20off%206_zps6nft5koa.jpg

i hope you can make sense of this if anyone can improve then please do !

Thanks Gagna. 

So the pva melts after casting , and the line running through the pebble has enough strength to give the bolt rig effect , but it will snap if the pebble gets snagged on something ? .

I guess the Pebbles are really smooth to prevent chafing on the braid hook link .

I wonder how expensive a Stone Tumbler would be , or maybe a matt varnish - maybe a yacht varnish ? .   

I don't know how you feel about " dropping the lead " if a Carp shakes its' head so it can't use the leads' weight to help eject the hook ? ; I guess after you've lovingly made your Pebbles you'd be loath to dump them on the river bed every time you hooked a Carp ? .

:wink:  

the line that breaks on pick up is  1/2 kg  ,  I wrote on the diagram . 5 kg, (point 5kg ) could well go to 2 lb breaking strain ( I use 50 l braid ), the pva string goes through the pebble and returns back to the swivel over the top of the pebble .

your rig ,which could be protected with tubing where it touches the pebble does not go through the pebble !

it sounds complicated but after a couple of goes it can be tied in a 2 mins !

when its done you can simply test it by lifting via the mainline and making sure the weight is taken via the pva string and not the 1/2 kg line

Edited by gagnaccarp

yes I reckon you would loose some distance on a long cast also, I thought of this method just for my style of river fishing in france ,I rarely am able to get 2 rods out where I fish,i occasionally fish at distance and when I do I have my kayak with me and I will take me rig out and lovingly position it on the spot , I would have to have confidence in this method via a bit of distance casting to make sure the system can withstand the force from a long cast without damage to the pva string , im confident it would though if prepared properly ,I would not want to be killing people ,cows on the opposite bank with pebbles ,