method feeder problems

1leeroy

I'm really hoping somebody can help here as i had such a frustrating fishing session yesterday, ok so the activity i had around the feeder was good.i had a lot of action but no full on screaming runs that im used to when using a pva bag,so the type of pick ups i was getting were single beeps where the swinger would lift slowly then it would drop slowly and i did try striking on the way up and down when looking at the swinger and nothing hooked at all

So my tackle was originally a 8 inch hair rig but i then changed it to a 4 inch after doing a bit of research on my phone whilst at the lake. That then went onto a 56 gram inline esp method feeder which i gently pushed on to the end of the hair rig swivel.above the method i put some tubing to get all the rig down as i was told the lake was stocked well and i didnt want dodgy bites.

Im begging someone to show me the errors of my ways as i enjoyed that style of fishing but would enjoy it even more if i caught a fish of it lol

Thanks

Lee

I'd say small fish mate,usually with the method if big fish are attacking it you will get a lot more than the bobbin just rising and after a while it would just tear off.

Try using a 2 inch hook link and leave your hook bait outside of the ball , it's worked for me in the past when I've been getting a lot of twiches but no runs.

Also try to match your hook bait to what's in the mix, if using corn in the mix then use a single piece of corn on the hair.

Ive had some good days using a lot of chickpeas and corn in the mix and then alternating the hook bait between the two.

One other thing is you WILL pick up small fish as well.

What were you using on the feeder (Groundbaits, pellets, etc.)?

How were you presenting the bait (In the feeder or hanging loose)?

Is it a flat bed feeder?

I think the boys may be right and three were a lot of small fish around, however I think that there were still other issues as you didn't hook any of them either (A small skimmer can get a 16mm boilies and size 8 hook into its mouth :wink: ).

The hair being too long is definitely one. In my opinion, you want a short rig and a short hair so that as soon as the bait is sucked up, so is the hook.

I'm really hoping somebody can help here as i had such a frustrating fishing session yesterday, ok so the activity i had around the feeder was good.i had a lot of action but no full on screaming runs that im used to when using a pva bag,so the type of pick ups i was getting were single beeps where the swinger would lift slowly then it would drop slowly and i did try striking on the way up and down when looking at the swinger and nothing hooked at all

So my tackle was originally a 8 inch hair rig but i then changed it to a 4 inch after doing a bit of research on my phone whilst at the lake. That then went onto a 56 gram inline esp method feeder which i gently pushed on to the end of the hair rig swivel.above the method i put some tubing to get all the rig down as i was told the lake was stocked well and i didnt want dodgy bites.

Im begging someone to show me the errors of my ways as i enjoyed that style of fishing but would enjoy it even more if i caught a fish of it lol

Thanks

Lee

all the above and more,,, all i can say is experiment, play with it then experiment some more.

the way i would personally set it up if i were using a feeder as heavy as yours would be as a running set up, the 2oz feeder that your using will give you a bolt rig effect.

my method, make sure that your feeder is the type that has the continuous tube built in, then strip all the bits off it so you just have the feeder cage its self. pass your line thru the feeder then slide on a tail rubber, a length of rig tube (i use about 12") and a buffer bead, finally attach a #10 swivel, i find a Palomar best for this. slide the feeder down over all the bits till it gets to the buffer bead, i would suggest Korda shok beads but only because they are the ones i use :wink: draw your swivel into the bead but only until the large ring touches.

make up a 2"  or 3" link with a clip, a VERY sharp hook and a short hair so that two grains of corn will sit on the hook bend.

now the important bit, pay attention to your method mix, dont just grab a bag off the shelf, tho these are good 'get you out of trouble' mixes, you cant beat experimenting, at the moment my mix is made up of,,,

1) loaf if sliced bread

2) 800 gram pkt rich tea

3)  small box of dog biscuits, (i use bakers complete)

4) lg tin sweetcorn

5) lg tin chick peas

6) tbl spoon turmeric

7) veg oil

method.

1) blitz bread in a blender till it will pass thru a sieve

2) ditto for the rich tea and dog biscuits, mix up with the bread crumb then bag up, split into four bags is best.

3) put half the corn and same with chick peas not forgetting half the liquid as well into mixer and blitz till ALMOST smooth (leave a few lumps in), put into a food carton (the kind you get your chinkie in is great for this)

4) heat a couple of tbl spoons of oil in a small fry pan then blend in the turmeric adding more oil if needed to get a slightly runny consistency. keep blending till turmeric goes a dark brown (but not burned) colour.

5) add turmeric to blitzed corn and mix thoroughly.

all this is best done the day before you go.

on the bank.

get a small bowl (single washing up bowl is best) chuck in half your dry crumb, make a dip in the middle and add the corn slush, mix thoroughly, it should go almost dry, add the unblended corn and peas with liquid and mix in ( dont forget to save some for hook bait).

leave for thirty min or so till all liquids are absorbed and mix should just squeeze together nicely.

put two grains on the hair, fill your feeder with the mix, best use your hands for this not those faffy method loaders gently ease your hook bait onto your feeder then put another skin over the top (double skinning).

cast out and wait.

if you dont get a take in the first 10 to 15 min rinse and repeat remembering to get it as close to your original point as poss, this will build up a nice bed of bait and also leech a nice spicy attractor into the swim.

a couple of points.

1) the reason i take all the gubbins out of the feeder is so that when it is fished that way it is as a completely free running rig.

2) razor sharp hooks, so that the fish feeling zilch resistance from the feeder will hook his self as he moves off.

3) most important, cooking the turmeric, although turmeric is IMO one of the greatest attractors for carp they have great difficulty in processing it unless it is cooked first. one of the main reasons Mrs carp don't use it in her cooking, damned difficult to use a fry pan under water :lol:

4) on the subject of turmeric, IT STAINS. i use surgical or washing up gloves to load my feeder then wash hands when i get home in washing up liquid first then soap.

this method has been used by myself and maybe others for a long time now and has never failed, it can be tweeked to suit yourself and the dry mix can be used as a carrier for anything else you fancy trying, tuna. wet cat or dog food, or even try strawberries in syrup for a sweet offering with a chunk of berry on the hook :wink: not forgetting to blitz whatever you put in your dry mix, top up with lake water if needed to get the consistency right..... tight lines.

oh and welcome to the madhouse matey :lol:

all the above and more,,, all i can say is experiment, play with it then experiment some more.

the way i would personally set it up if i were using a feeder as heavy as yours would be as a running set up, the 2oz feeder that your using will give you a bolt rig effect.

my method, make sure that your feeder is the type that has the continuous tube built in, then strip all the bits off it so you just have the feeder cage its self. pass your line thru the feeder then slide on a tail rubber, a length of rig tube (i use about 12") and a buffer bead, finally attach a #10 swivel, i find a Palomar best for this. slide the feeder down over all the bits till it gets to the buffer bead, i would suggest Korda shok beads but only because they are the ones i use :wink: draw your swivel into the bead but only until the large ring touches.

make up a 2" or 3" link with a clip, a VERY sharp hook and a short hair so that two grains of corn will sit on the hook bend.

now the important bit, pay attention to your method mix, dont just grab a bag off the shelf, tho these are good 'get you out of trouble' mixes, you cant beat experimenting, at the moment my mix is made up of,,,

1) loaf if sliced bread

2) 800 gram pkt rich tea

3) small box of dog biscuits, (i use bakers complete)

4) lg tin sweetcorn

5) lg tin chick peas

6) tbl spoon turmeric

7) veg oil

method.

2) ditto for the rich tea and dog biscuits, mix up with the bread crumb then bag up, split into four bags is best.

3) put half the corn and same with chick peas not forgetting half the liquid as well into mixer and blitz till ALMOST smooth (leave a few lumps in), put into a food carton (the kind you get your chinkie in is great for this)

4) heat a couple of tbl spoons of oil in a small fry pan then blend in the turmeric adding more oil if needed to get a slightly runny consistency. keep blending till turmeric goes a dark brown (but not burned) colour.

on the bank.

get a small bowl (single washing up bowl is best) chuck in half your dry crumb, make a dip in the middle and add the corn slush, mix thoroughly, it should go almost dry, add the unblended corn and peas with liquid and mix in ( dont forget to save some for hook bait).

leave for thirty min or so till all liquids are absorbed and mix should just squeeze together nicely.

put two grains on the hair, fill your feeder with the mix, best use your hands for this not those faffy method loaders gently ease your hook bait onto your feeder then put another skin over the top (double skinning).

cast out and wait.

if you dont get a take in the first 10 to 15 min rinse and repeat remembering to get it as close to your original point as poss, this will build up a nice bed of bait and also leech a nice spicy attractor into the swim.

a couple of points.

1) the reason i take all the gubbins out of the feeder is so that when it is fished that way it is as a completely free running rig.

2) razor sharp hooks, so that the fish feeling zilch resistance from the feeder will hook his self as he moves off.

3) most important, cooking the turmeric, although turmeric is IMO one of the greatest attractors for carp they have great difficulty in processing it unless it is cooked first. one of the main reasons Mrs carp don't use it in her cooking, damned difficult to use a fry pan under water :lol:

4) on the subject of turmeric, IT STAINS. i use surgical or washing up gloves to load my feeder then wash hands when i get home in washing up liquid first then soap.

this method has been used by myself and maybe others for a long time now and has never failed, it can be tweeked to suit yourself and the dry mix can be used as a carrier for anything else you fancy trying, tuna. wet cat or dog food, or even try strawberries in syrup for a sweet offering with a chunk of berry on the hook :wink: not forgetting to blitz whatever you put in your dry mix, top up with lake water if needed to get the consistency right..... tight lines.

Don't think you will get a more thorough answer than this.

make up a 2" or 3" link with a clip, a VERY sharp hook and a short hair so that two grains of corn will sit on the hook bend.

1) loaf if sliced bread

2) 800 gram pkt rich tea

3) small box of dog biscuits, (i use bakers complete)

4) lg tin sweetcorn

5) lg tin chick peas

6) tbl spoon turmeric

7) veg oil

method.

on the bank.

cast out and wait.

a couple of points.

That's all Bull , that's his vindaloo recipe . He buys a mainline method mix really :) Edited by newmarket

Thanks

Lee

When fishing the Method, you want to wait for proper runs.

The bait wants to be close to the hook, and normally a short hooklink as the fish are just digging right into it.

I use a simple method mix, Vitalin dog food, mixed with breadcrumb, particles and pellets, and often a tin of Sweetcorn so I can use that as a hookbait, maybe some peperami or sliced or crushed luncheon meat, all various hookbaits.

Must admit Cyborx recipe does look good though :wink: