Help with Norfolk?!

Hi guys,

On July 27th - 29th a friend and I are going fishing in norfolk. We are after some nice carp (I'm just back into fishing and he is relatively experienced).

We have booked to fish on the Grove lake at Taswood lakes, as this offer a nice balance of 20lb+ carp and a few 30+ and shouldn't be too hard to fish apparently.

However, having seen multiple posts on here warning about Taswood I was thinking maybe it isn't the best place.

Does anybody have any ideas of fisheries around norfolk that offer some nice carp (I.E a couple of 30+ just for the excitement of maybe hooking one) that isn't too difficult a fish and would cater for a newish angler? We are also camping in a divvy so would be grateful if you could shed some light on weather they allow over night fishing! :)

Thanks guys! 

Sam.

right, well firstly whats wrong with taswood, I've only been there for a day session but it seemed like a very nice place and has lakes to cover all difficulties.

stanninghall lakes is one i have been to a few times and its where i managed my fist 20lb carp, not sure if there is any 30's in there thou but diffinatly high 20's it has nice spaced out swims and is around 2-3 acres, its diffinatly not a really hard to lake to fish u just have to find them :P

another lake is taverham mill, that is a bit harder as it is around 22 acres but is one of the most beautiful lakes i have ever see, i have never caught from there but am hoping to as I'm doing my work experience there for 2 weeks starting monday and hope to get some fishing in :P  if you look at there face book page theres been a lot of fish out including a 30 so it maybe worth a try.

If I said what I know about Taswood, I could be upsetting a few people, but it is not all it is cracked up to be, as a result of what I know, I will never go there.

If you look at Norfolk Lakes, there is a very detailed write up on Taverham Mills.

Catch 22, after draining, clearing it was restocked with Dutch fish about 20 years ago, changing its name from Lyng Easthaugh in the process. Some big fish in there now, and has been written about by a lot of people.

Recently in the last few years or so developed around Scole and Dickleburgh you have Airfield and Spitfire lakes. One I think is day ticket, the other syndicate, I know various publications have mentioned them

If I said what I know about Taswood, I could be upsetting a few people, but it is not all it is cracked up to be, as a result of what I know, I will never go there.

If you look at Norfolk Lakes, there is a very detailed write up on Taverham Mills.

Catch 22, after draining, clearing it was restocked with Dutch fish about 20 years ago, changing its name from Lyng Easthaugh in the process. Some big fish in there now, and has been written about by a lot of people.

Recently in the last few years or so developed around Scole and Dickleburgh you have Airfield and Spitfire lakes. One I think is day ticket, the other syndicate, I know various publications have mentioned them

I've got that write up you did printed out ready for my trip to Tav in a few weeks Nick. Jolly excited I am too! Few things I meant to ask actually, presume it pays to be a bit mobile on such a big water? Do you feel like they are more likely to come sniffing around margins at night? Or do you rate your chances in the right margin spot in the day too? Many thanks!

I used to spend plenty of time walking round during the day with a stalking rod, plenty of floaters, and a few bottom baits.

Certain areas I knew would produce a fish or two on a bottom bait during the day. To the right of peg 1, which meant you had to creep through the rhododendron bush, was a favoured spot of mine for fishing with a float and a bottom bait. You were fishing underneath a fallen tree, the whole trunk was stretching from bank to bank, but I think it eventually rotted through.

The back channels, either side of the Plateau swim were favoured areas of mine for floater fishing, and the furthest channel if on walking from the meadow through the right hand gate, at the T junction (you'll see why I call it that) or the end of the tiny bay, was another couple of spots for bottom bait stalking (just take your skeeter repellant there, even in full daylight).

Margin spots fishing two rods, did work very well for some anglers in the day, but because I was constantly mobile did not do so well myself with that type of static fishing.

However, when I stopped fishing Taverham around 2005 (my goodness, is it really that long ago :?::!: ), it was taking the carp two days in some swims to get comfortable taking baits, the lake was really suffering 'weekend syndrome'.

However, when I stopped fishing Taverham around 2005 (my goodness, is it really that long ago :?::!: ), it was taking the carp two days in some swims to get comfortable taking baits, the lake was really suffering 'weekend syndrome'.

recently there have been loads of fish out which is quite nice to see from all over the lake, and most people fishing statically. 

Nick, a great help as always. Thankyou! My fishing buddy and I were also discussing the efficacy of going stalking. What I mean is we had planned to turn up early Friday, walk the lake and get set up for 'static' initially - then if the weather /conditions were right potentially go stalking with floaters. Apparently you are allowed to be away from your swim (reeled in of course) for up to 3 hours before eye brows will be raised. I'm conscious of not wanting to tie up a swim when we're not in it, otherwise it's unfair isn't it?

Glad to hear it's fishing well, have seen some lovely looking fish on their fb feed.