suspender floats

anybody used a suspender float?

i used to make my own but haven't used em this season

what do you think of them and how effective do you find them?

Hello mate do you mean the surface fishing things that keep the line off the surface and the hookbait ON ?

If yes , i have the Gardner one and highly recommend it .

If not then i have no idea what a suspender float is :)

hey NM, if this is what you have then yes. i have been making them for years.

317CCNqL9gL_zps72ecb0e8.jpg

if i have it right tho the Gardner ones were balanced by a weighted base which you cocked by tightening down.

Untitled_zps6674276a.png

mine are sort of ledger float style with a running ledger on the mainline and you feed out till its cocked right.

Quite right matey .

Yours are like a legered reverse upside down zigged floater float :wink:

Aka fixed giz rig!!!

I've seen the gardener things working well recently... Was quite comical, two guys on standard controller set up, one with a beach caster and one on a suspender float.. the suspender was the only one that caught, 3 to the suspender none to the others!

Edited by nealjt

Aka fixed giz rig!!!

I've seen the gardener things working well recently... Was quite comical, two guys on standard controller set up, one with a beach caster and one on a suspender float.. the suspender was the only one that caught, 3 to the suspender none to the others!

:) knew youd pick up on that lol

NM as soon as winter kicks in and my lake is empty of anglers I plan to be gizzing every session

Cyborx, could you post a pic of your homemade suspenders (this post is too wrong!!)

I too have made my own, but am curious to see yours. Mine is fashioned from the top of an old busted fly rod and a champagne cork, I'll post a pic when home later.

a few years ago i bulk purchased some long clear tubes from a model shop and some 60mm polystyrene eggs from a craft shop, add to that some luminous craft paint and waterproof lacquer and hey presto. carp trap :lol:

i will post a pic later if i get chance, im going to sort tackle now for a quick hit and run tomorrow :lol:

Edited by cyborx

Cyborx, could you post a pic of your homemade suspenders (this post is too wrong!!)

I too have made my own, but am curious to see yours. Mine is fashioned from the top of an old busted fly rod and a champagne cork, I'll post a pic when home later.

20140908_173814_zpsabfabc70.jpeg20140908_173829_zpse267b470.jpeg

note the missuse of Korda shok beads top and bottom :wink:

the blue 25lb mainline and cammo braid is just for illustration, normally i would use 6lb mono hooklink and 12lb mono main.

also the two tone pineapple popup just cos its pretty :lol:

i decided to paint the base dark blue because i found the carp were bashing the float thinking it was edible.

Edited by cyborx

I like it, very neat!! Looks like it would work well am trying to get my 5 year old to sleep, not going well, so will proably have to post mine tomorrow!

Other than looking pretty do you tend to use bright pop-up's or do you go with a more standard mixer?

as a rule i use (dare i say it) Bakers complete, they have small bikkies ideal for freebies and some dice sized cubes of squishy oily floaters that sit for ages and leave a slick on the surface :)

i also use pop ups of all breeds, robin red and the chocky ones trimmed to look like bikkies and glugged or as you say the bright fluorescent ones too. depends on the weather or time of day.

as an aside, i went out today and used 3 rods. one standard running lead with monster squid boilie and a stringer of nash monster squid chain reaction solubles, the second was set up with my suspender float with above mentioned floater on a hair rig to my fave (of the moment) gardner mugga and the third was my (hated by the die hard carpers) 8wt fly rod with a nash mimic deer hair bikkie to 6lb mono greased with mucilin.

score was fly rod 4, suspender 2 and bottom bait 0. result :)

can also get you arrested if said youngster has a nice chat with teacher about who got rat a rsed the quickest :lol:

i tend to go the more conservative route, warm milk or hot chockie (with a spoonfull of whisky) and a nice cuddle :wink:

The last thing I need is my boy talking to his teachers about whiskey... I got pulled over today, (no mot!! Argh I am a numpty, newish car and thought it was valid) followed me home, wrote me a ticket, £100 fine!! The copper was pretty good about it all though. Then my wife pulls up, she knows the copper his daughter is in my son's class!! Excellent, playground gossip will be rife!!!

Anyway....

gallery_90554_26_729555.jpg

My version, tip of an old fly rod, champagne cork, small inline lead, cut to size around bottom of tube and lots of black electrical tape!

Think I'll try some of the bakers stuff, will be loosing the chance soon though, not much warmth left!!

Cyborx - well done with your session! I've never caught a carp on a fly rod, I bet it's fun!!!

The last thing I need is my boy talking to his teachers about whiskey... I got pulled over today, (no mot!! Argh I am a numpty, newish car and thought it was valid) followed me home, wrote me a ticket, £100 fine!! The copper was pretty good about it all though. Then my wife pulls up, she knows the copper his daughter is in my son's class!! Excellent, playground gossip will be rife!!!

Anyway....

gallery_90554_26_729555.jpg

My version, tip of an old fly rod, champagne cork, small inline lead, cut to size around bottom of tube and lots of black electrical tape!

Think I'll try some of the bakers stuff, will be loosing the chance soon though, not much warmth left!!

Cyborx - well done with your session! I've never caught a carp on a fly rod, I bet it's fun!!!

carp on a fly rod, well what can i say. ITS DA MN SCARY,,, :lol: the biggest one was a10lb 8 oz old English common.

when you consider that this little whisper of a rod cost in excess of £200, floating line is about £10-15, and that rod can bend so the tip is less than 4' from the butt. as i said SCARY lol but it gets the adrenalin pumping. :D

do you mind a critics eye view on your rig? or better still if you wanna pm me an addy i can post you a freebie to use as a pattern 8)

Edited by cyborx

Cyborx you are a beautiful man, will pm you shortly :) thank you, critique away my man! Back to your original question, of what are people's thoughts on the float, I am amazed I don't see more used as I am sure it is the line that spooks prospective surface carp and this idea solves it perfectly and exactly as you've said I don't think, in my small experiance, the fish are too worried about a controller. Also I thought they were a relatively new product from gardener, but my brother has had one from gardener for years!

The one I've made, does cast very well and I had no tangles whatsoever

Pm on its way :)

(Oh and I'm now off to bed so probably won't reply until tomorrow)

Very, very impressed with both home made versions, NealJT and Cyborx. Proper anglers you two! I use the Gardner suspender and it is very effective. A better presentation I would suggest than a controller float, but I'm sure lots favour the latter, as I see more of them on the lakes I fish in the summer months.

• 7 years later...